“Repeat Visit - Follow up Review. We went back...that should say something.”

Leading Family Hotel & Resort Alpenrose
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Lermoos
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I've already posted my review for Alpenrose for last year's visit (EnterpriseTravel), but wanted to give a brief new review for our 2010 (repeat) visit. We enjoyed the same qualities and amenities that caused us to recommend it last year, so this will add just a bit more. This year we doubled our scheduled stay to 4 nights from last year's 2 night trip. Although our short visit was less than the week or 2 that I found many European families make for Alpenrose, we did encounter more European families that were making visits that were shorter than 1 or 2 weeks. I chalked that up to the fact that our visit was later in the summer this year.

Among the things I noted this year, I found that there were many actitivities in the area around the hotel that we failed to notice or use. On site there are lots of spa amenties for parents. Off site we discovered that outdoor activities of all types are easily accessible. Hiking is popular. Paragliders hover overhead. Toboggan runs and cycling are also popular activities even during the non-winter times. I'm sure this place is even better during the winter.

Last year we had the impression that the inclusive meals were good and plentiful, but this year we got to appreciate that there were many fine dining options in the menu (as well as extensive wine options), which we hadn't really picked up on last year. Meals offer an abundance of riches for foodies, as well as lots of fare that geared towards kids' less sophisticated palates. You won't find a full menu, but each night for dinner you will have the option of several very nice (sometimes special) entrees and courses. The family atmosphere keeps the place from seeming stuffy, but we definitely noticed many more "gastronom" guests enjoying themselves this time around.

My ranking are all 4 and 5 for this hotel. A few items were 4s rather than 5 because I felt I should balance the 5s from last review. Not a change or drop in the level or quality of service or amenities from Alpenrose, just trying to give the most accurate ranking possible with the scale provided. Another hearty recommendation from our family.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 20, 2010

This is an excellent example of the great KinderHotels that exist in Austria, as other reviewers say, it does come at a price though! The kids facilities are very good, the spa and pool area lovely, the food in the restaurant very good and wine list extensive! It is a big hotel but manages to hide it well, not really ever feeling over crowded despite being at capacity. The rooms are spread out all over the hotel so do check if a particular location ie nearer the restaurant matters to you. We had one of the newer modern suites which was done beautifully and very comfortable but meant we had to walk through the hotel bar in our dressing gowns to get to the pool!! We had some very good treatments in the relaxing spa while the children had a great time in the kids club. Everyone happy!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2010

First off, I have to say that it's a great experience for families with kids. Coming from the US, I found the cost to be higher than I expected, even during the Summer off-season months, but it was still less than another Lermoos luxury-resort that I was comparing it to before arrival. American sensibilities often need a little adjustment for European travel, but this is a place where the quality/standards of accommodations and amenities won't cause US visitors to alter their expectations -- they will feel right at home. Elsewhere in Lermoos, there are more luxurious alternatives, and many more basic alternatives, but this has an ideal mix of comfort, luxury, and accessible amenities parents and kids can all enjoy.

Forget cost for a moment to give me a chance to share the merits of the hotel. Kids love the many themed facilities and play areas, but some cynical parents might think the theme areas to be a little trite or tired. Our daughter took to virtually every corner of the place. Even though I expected the playful themes would get old for her, they never did, and I even warmed up when I began to loosed up and enjoy things with my family. Best of all, being around other kids from families travelling from all over the world (mostly Europe), even shy kids seem to come out and confidently enjoy the run of the house. Despite the variety of languages being spoken at any given time, our daughter warmed to the other kids and families, overcoming any language barriers and making friends.

The programming beyond the play/recreations facilities is another reason that kids thrive there (and parents can actually enjoy time with and away from their children). We didn't need any infant/toddler care, but all families we encountered who used it had nothing but praise. Our 2 day visit was well short of the 1-2 week norm for visiting European families, but it went well enough that we felt compelled to extend the visit and drop time from other places we'd planned to visit.

Our daughter was invited to participate in the rehearsals for one of the theater shows, and to our surprise, she went all on her own without our usual close contact/supervision. We were due to leave during the day of the scheduled performance, but couldn't bring ourselves to pull her out of something she really wasn't expected to do. The staff made place for her in the performance and "voila" - we stayed over and she had an awesome time in the show. That was just indicative of the many ways the hotel works for guests. The staff are great, complementing the facilities/amenities. We've kept in contact with families from across Europe who we met there, and discovered many other US friends who had the same great experiences there.

US or non-European visitors should give some thought to when you arrive to make an effort to be there during your ideal times or desired activities, as well as the ideal times for certain kids programming like the plays, shows, etc... (which generally fall at the end of the week - Friday). For example, a visit over few days on aweekend might cheat you/your kids out of the full experience, given that's when many families are leaving arriving.

Can't recommend Alpenrose highly enough. May be on the expensive side, but the enjoyment and the inclusive structure for many amenities (restaurants/meals) lessens the initial pain. You'll mostly forget about what you paid or judge that it was worth it once your visit is done.

We're already booked for a return visit during a tour of Europe that is scheduled around our Alpenrose visit.

-PW
Chicago

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2010

part of the "kinderhotels" chain, this has to be one of the best. Luxury for the adults, brilliant baby and children's club to keep the little ones amused. Spa and gourmet food are fantastic too. No fault, really, although it comes at a price. Definitely to be recommended for family with children who want a break: you can have a romantic getaway while competent and fun carers mind the children or you can have a full-on family experience, all tastes catered for.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We have sent a reguest regarding out NY trip and have received the offer where Hotel asked to pay in advance the total amount one month before arriving . But in confirmation we have found out we havd to pay total amount before 4 months .
Hotel has written following : "You are right that normally the total amount has to be paid one month before arriving .But a reservation made from guests in Russia are only fix if we have the total amount in advance."
We are traveling a lot around the world and fortunately it's the first time when I see such discrimination ! It's not a normal in Europe now including Austria .We have been in Austrian Hotels a lot of times and never have seen it ! We made prebooking in other hotels ( one Hotel asks 30% as a prepayment and other one only number of credit card as a guarantee ).We made a decision to spend time in other Hotel .

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank IrinaG76
alpenroselm, Leiter Front Office at Leading Family Hotel & Resort Alpenrose, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2011

Dear Mrs. Irina,
thank you for your interest in staying at our hotel. Unfortunately it did'nt come to a booking. I'm shure you would have enjoyed ist.
The fact that we ask for the full payment 4 months befor arrival, has nothing to do with discrimination. We have to do this, because the laws are different outside the european union. In case of a cancelation there is no possibility for us to get to the money. Also a credit card ist no guarantee. If you book through a travell agancy they will do exactley the same. They will ask you for the full payment.
We have had such problems allready. In Germany or Austria for example we can assign a lawyer but outside the EU there is no chance of getting any money.
My colleague should have explaned this better to you. I'm very sorry about this. Perhaps you would have choosed our hotel as destination. For all guests who ready this i would like to underline that this approach has nothing to do with discrimination, it's a safeness for the hotel.

Reviewed March 31, 2010

I spent 3 weeks in August 2008 with my 4 children. They loved it. I loved it. Very good and healthy food, excellent kids club (equipment, staff, real full day entertaining program for all ages), very nice Spa. Many "international families". My children who speak French and English made a lot of new friends from all around Europe, and were always able to communicate. They were 4 and 7 years old at that time, and they were always supervised by our Au pair girl or by myself... then they were never distressed. Though I can understand other reviewers who mentionned the young and inexperimented Kids Club staff. The turnover seems high. But, be realistic : this is a hotel, not a creche or a school. Yes I met great young staff, and staff who were more "distant". You just need to choose the one you like and ask him or her to supervise your kids. The staff normally all like children and also need to be considered. I saw parents having great interaction with the staff and parents very demanding or rude too ! Foreigners like me should keep in mind that, in this particular hotel, Austrian and German young staff have to cope with many different languages and traditions as well... not so easy !
As soon as kids are settled, parents can also have a great time there. Relaxing Spa and many very friendly parents to talk to.
You can choose your room from different categories, so you will always find something that suits your needs. The managers really thought to every useful details. You will feel at home.
From Lermoos, it is easy to visit the 2 German Castles Hohenschangau and Neuschanstein (book your tickets through internet), Innsbruck and Stift Stams -a beautiful Cistercian Monastery in Stams that even the kids enjoyed visiting.
I already booked 2 weeks in Alpenrose for Christmas 2010... so, yes, I would recommend to everyone with kids. Relax, it's holidays !

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2010

This place pretends to offer high standards, and you can expect it for such prices, but it is all fake! Their "top gourmet cuisine" is mostly ready-to-cook food without any taste. Well, there are a lot of facilities, but number does not mean quality. Kids programs are the same level as in the cheap turkish hotels - stupid and noisy.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank yul_k

Dear Family Jul???
First of all I would like to thank you for staying in our Hotel.
I'm very sorry, that your stay was'nt to your satisfaction.
I was very surprised as I read the two points that you were'nt satisfied with. Especially the food (daily course menu and diffrent a la carte meals at night, plus a a la carte restaurant, 30m breakfast and lunch buffet) and the childcare (at least 20 nanny's and activities from 08 am until 09 pm) are the two reasons why guests enjoy there stay in our hotel. I don't want to deny that it's noisy in our childcare. But remeber, the Hotel Alpenrose is a children hotel. It's absolutly normal that sometimes there a crying children in the kidsclub, but please don't forget, for some children it's perhaps there first time in a childcare.

Just a little information for all readers of this comment. Our hotel has been chosen as european's best Kinderhotel the last three years. 80 percent of our guests are regulars. They would'nt come again if it was realy as bad as Fam. Jul writes.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lermoos
Hotel Post
Sporthotel Zugspitze
Sporthotel Zugspitze
#6 of 12 in Lermoos
Tiroler Zugspitze Aktiv & Familienresort

Been to Leading Family Hotel & Resort Alpenrose? Share your experiences!