“Best Tapas in Altea”

Xef Pirata - Gastro Bar
Reserve with
Xef Pirata - Gastro Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 288 Restaurants in Altea
Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Gastrobar camouflaged in a burger. Tapas, original and copyright, many of them pirated from the best chefs, homemade burgers, accompanied by good music, familiar and informal atmosphere, where we aim to give our best within our means, Apt All.
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The Tapas served here are as good as any we have ever found in Spain and would appeal to those looking to experience real Tapas and not the usual tourist variety! The prices are very low compared to elsewhere so overall this place is really worth a detour.

There are newer reviews for Xef Pirata - Gastro Bar

Reviewed October 15, 2013

All tapas served in Chef Pirata are out of this world! After first visit we have beed returning there every single day of our week stay in Altea and have tasted almost all tapas from the menu. Except from tapas there are also salads and burgers in the menu. Mushroom ad Truffle croquettes are superb! Beef cheeks are fantastic. Risotto is perfect. Mini-tapas from ruta de tapas (October 2013) were simply the best. Piadina with gout cheese, figs etc realy nice. We will have to go back to Altea or even move there:) in order to be able to eat in Chef Pirata as often as possible.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

It´s not a big Place and they have only 3 tables outside, so the best is to book it in advance.
We really liked it all..:)

1  Thank loannese
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I am a foodie. It's an incontravertible fact of my life that if I hear about good food I will seek it out like a man possessed and so it was with Xef Pirata. On hearing that we had a villa booked in Altea la Vella I got on TripAdvisor and sussed out the local dining scene, and lo Xef Pirata became my personal Holy Grail for the trip to Spain.

I took 2 friends with me who aren't massive foodies, and to their credit they trekked around the old town in Altea for a good half hour before we stumbled on it (it's just down the hill from the church) and OMG was it worthwhile.

My friends assure me that the hamburguesas they had were fantastic, in the words of a normally taciturn gastronomic neanderthal (and good friend of mine) "I know my hamburgers and yes, this is a very good one" - which is about as good as it gets from that source.

Permit me however to be a bit more loquacious; The service was great, we arrived about 10 minutes before opening and were shown to a table and bought drinks and some olive tapenade on croutons. Our order was taken speedily and the waiter was happy to talk to me about his reccomendations, so it was that i had some Mushroom ad Truffle croquettes to start, which were frankly amazing treats of gooey yumminess! I had a mozzerella and tomato salad next which was great. Let me be clear here, this is a simple dish and it was done to perfection, to my mind this is the true test of a cook, to prepare simple fresh ingredients well takes talent and this was done to perfection.

I finished off with the mini burger topped with mushroom and foie gras. Let's just say I'm salivating even as I type. This was yumminess itself. It was presented on a piece of slate with "miniature chips" which were great to look at and reflect the time and effort the guys at Xef Pirata put into their food.

In short, this restaurant is amazing, I travelled 1440km to go there and I suspect that the next time I am booking a trip to Spain, Altea will sneak it's way to the top of the list because I want to come back to Xef Pirata again. My only regret is that due to a busy trip I only came here once. It's a sneaking suspicion, but I think a Michelin reccomendation can't be too far off!

2  Thank James E
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This must have beeny fourth visit to this great Tapas bar. It is one of my 'must do's' whilst in Altea. The Tapas is out of this world. Try one of there 6 tapas dish selection, you won't be disappointed! There aren't many tables so get there early or better still Pre-book.

1  Thank GarryHardy