“Best Tapas I have tasted”

Xef Pirata - Gastro Bar
Reserve with
Xef Pirata - Gastro Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 290 Restaurants in Altea
Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Gastrobar camouflaged in a burger. Tapas, original and copyright, many of them pirated from the best chefs, homemade burgers, accompanied by good music, familiar and informal atmosphere, where we aim to give our best within our means, Apt All.
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This must have beeny fourth visit to this great Tapas bar. It is one of my 'must do's' whilst in Altea. The Tapas is out of this world. Try one of there 6 tapas dish selection, you won't be disappointed! There aren't many tables so get there early or better still Pre-book.

1  Thank GarryHardy

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have visited this place on numerous occasions and the consistancy of the service and food has never failed me. Attention to details is what makes this place succesful, not only from its owner, but the staff that works there. "Must try" - croquetas de Bacalao and Boletus, Pan cristal con jamon Iberico, Pluma Iberica, carrillada de ternera, entrecote, mini hambuguesa con fois and to finish off with the crumble...exquisite.

2  Thank Vintagekrug
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We first came across this restaurant by accident just walking around Altea. When we returned we were excited to find that it was still open. The food in Xef Pirata is the best we ever tasted. The staff were fantastic and the way you can see the food being prepared is great. Everyone that visits Altea should go here just make sure that you make a reservation.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I picked this restaurant after reading trip advisor. We arrived early around 6.30 as we hadn't made a reservation on Monday. We were seated outside, which was pleasant. Having read about the 18 euros tasting menu on the reviews, my husband and I chose that. The waiter explained what the 7 dishes of the day were and told us that included a glass of muscat. The children chose the hamburgers 100% beef homemade) and frites. The dishes were brought in succession, each one explained and each one really delicious. My favourite being the pig cheek with creamed mashed potatoes, I would never have chosen that normally. Everything was freshly cooked and very different to anything I have had before. We finished with a chocolate truffle (also included) and muscat wine. My daughter said the hamburger was the nicest burger she had ever had. I have often been very disappointed with the meals we have had in this area, but this was such a lovely meal and I would thoroughly recommend it for a tapas experience. The bill came to 74 euros and that included drinks and desserts for 2 children and a bottle of wine. Well worth it as the quality of the food was so good. Note, currently closed Tuesday's.

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Blink and you will miss it. Xef Pirata was probably the tiniest restaurant in Altea, that is before its expansion including a first floor. That said, it is still all knees and elbows with tables and chairs tightly squeezed in. If you do not want your conversation to be overheard, you will struggle. In the beginning it was also Altea's best kept secret. The word is out now and at holiday times and weekends it is packed. A reservation is a must. Why? Because it is a great concept and the food is excellent. A range of interesting and eclectic tapas on the menu stretches the mind's norms on flavour combinations. Foie gras with strawberry compote?!? Foie gras with smoked sardine, apple and caramelised sugar?!? Trust me, they work and you are left wanting more.

You can sate your hunger purely on tapas washed down by great value, recommended wines or simply by a well kept beer. There is also a salad selection if you do not want to over indulge. However, my advice would be to kick off with a selection of tapas to share. Recommended are the croquettas, oozing a soft and creamy filling, crisp and crunchy on the outside with an earthy, meaty taste that only jamon iberico can provide. Asparagus in a light crisp tempura batter perfect to scoop up the romesco sauce served on the side, the foie (both versions) of course, the slow braised pig cheek with perfectly pureed, garlic enhanced mash and the sea urchin, an acquired taste but well worth the risk, at least once. Follow this selection by one of the hamburgers. Homemade and cooked to your preference, they will not disappoint. The artisan bread bun they are served in is also a hit. I would love to think they are made on the premises but I cannot guarantee that. Recommended are the Complete Burger or the Scamorza Burger. If you fancy an order of fries, do not bother. They are undercooked and fatty. A shame really as a good fry complements a burger perfectly. If you happen to have any room left after this gluttony go for the blueberry crumble with a scoop of ice-cream. It satisfies a sweet craving nicely.

You may have guessed by now that I have eaten at Xef Pirata many times in the past. I intend to eat there many times more. However, in the past, dining has mainly been as a couple or as a four. My latest visit was part of a larger group (seven people), a celebration event for my son and daughter's birthdays. Some members of the said group were on good form, particularly good form as it happens, as was the mother/daughter group on the next table. Jokes were cracked and laughter followed, normal, right? However, both tables were asked to be quiet having offended the sensitivities of a couple out dining with two small children. We were a big ticket table known to the staff. Likewise for the mother/daughter table. We always tip extremely well, despite the 'attitude' of one particular waiter. If tips are shared why should others miss out? It is not what he says or does, just the way he makes one feel. It has even suppressed my desire to write a review in the past as I hate being negative. It is a shame, because that 'attitude' resulted in no tip on our last visit, I am just tired of rewarding 'attitude', which hurts because the food deserves reward.

So, the moral of this review is if you want great tapas and you are a large group, check out Taverna El Posit in Villajoyosa or otherwise just hope and pray the customer sensitive to audible laughter has not booked a table at Pirata!!