Club Med Cherating Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
3,118 results
All reviewszen poolspecial thankscircus teamrock climbingjungle walknoodle bartree top challengerembulan restaurantflying trapezecherating beachmain barchef de villagefriendly gosgreat holidaysports teamevening showsfun activities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Just back from a family trip to Club Med Cherating. This was our first Club Med trip and fell somewhere short

The Good
1. The GOs were very friendly. GO June at the kitchen/dining area ensured that our 11-month
old baby received proper attention at each meal and had the chef prepare the baby meals
for us. Great Guy !!. It is these personal touches that made our stay great.
2. GOs are wonderfully talented people - performing all their assigned duties during the day yet
still performing shows in the evening
3. Checking in and out was a breeze.
4. Lots of activities for children to keep them busy throughout the day
5. Whole day drinks (some items need to purchase) to chill out
6. Good entertainment shows performed by the GOs

The Not-so-Good.
1. If you are travelling by flight to Kuantan airport, be prepared for a 1-hour long tiring journey to
the resort. During departure, the checkout bus is at 10:30 am, so you have one and a half
hours at the small airport to do nothing. Being unaware and travelling with a baby, this caused
some inconveniences to us.
2. The rooms (we were in Superior Connecting rooms) were comfortable but need renovation.
3. The walking distance from the room to the restaurant can be a pain sometimes.
4. Variety of food in Mutiara restaurant but does get repetitive. By the 2nd day, we were not
looking forward to our 3 times a day restaurant trip.
5. We booked the Baby Club 3 days in advance with the understanding that we could leave our
baby there the whole day - However that is not the case. You need to constantly take care
and monitor as the focus is more on activities - not on baby feeding

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I recently spent my honeymoon at Club Med Cherating and all i can say is that it was the most amazing place i have ever experienced, The staff really made it for me though! Eduardo, the chief was so dynamic and full of fun, Carlien, Carlien, carlien! You were so special.The Zen pool, where i spent 90% of my time was really the best thing for me. Kiya, who gave me chinese medicine (cream) to try and heal my broken ribs was something that will stay in my mind forever.At the main bar, Mohammed, Harry and Dill went above and beyond their actual duties to make us feel so at home and really appreciated. Kana was especially good to me and made me feel like i was part of the Club Med family. Then we had the pleasure of going to dinner at the special restaurant and i had the pleasure of being served by Lindsay and Fairy! Best food ever! Untill you get to the main restaurant and the kindness of the head chef Sheik. the sport and sailing i didnt have a chance to experience to the best of my ability but Angelina, Selcuk, Zorro and Flo made it all possible for Leo and for me the one time i managed to get it right. I must also mention Mikey,.Singh and Ashraf who actually became quite good friends and looked after us so well. I also have to mention Shin who we got to know very well and is such an amazing person, My last mention is of Richard and Kemy!!!! these guys are amazing!!!! Thank you for looking after me so well!! I will never forget the kindness and generosity that you showed me, Thank you Club Cherating for the most amazing honeymoon ever! Love Wendy and Leo

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I visited this Club Med with my wife and daughter in March 2014. Our choice was based on our love of Malaysia, Club Med's reputation, and my previous positive experiences with the Club Meds at Ria Bintan and Bali.
Firstly, the Chef du Village, Eduardo, and nearly all the GOs were fantastic and really value-add to the experience. The food is amazing, and the spa -while very overpriced- is also fantastic. The GOs and facilities for children are exceptional and they alone outweigh all of the negatives I am about to mention... but they must still be mentioned.

Overall, this resort is run down, tired, and in need of major renovations. I believe there may be a plan for the future, but the tarpaulin-covered rooves and rotting eaves are the elephant in the room at this 4-trident resort. I am aware of two rooms (out of hundreds) that have been renovated, and they are VERY, VERY nice. If this new room is the standard to be expected, we will be back. Our original room had significant mould around the inside edge of the sink, in the shower, and all over the air conditioning vent. I think Club Med needs to bite the bullet and shut down this resort, wing by wing, to undertake these renovations on a major scale.

I also need to mention the lack of motivation, common sense, and problem-solving abilities of the housekeeping and reception staff. The specific examples I will provide are as follows:

1. We had a nightly turn down service in one room, but when we moved rooms (from the mouldy room to a newly-renovated room) this service ceased, until I called reception to have it done, three days later. I can only speculate that the location of the new room (farthest from reception) was a contributing factor. The housekeeping staff excuse was that it was normal for the turn down to be done after 9pm, but on the preceding three days, we were already in the room and there was no knock on our door at ANY time.
2. Our room was made up one day and a roll of toilet paper was left with not much paper still on it. As you might expect, the roll ran out. It ran out prior to 7am and I had a reasonably urgent need for a replacement roll. I called reception with my problem, to be told 'housekeeping has not started work yet'. Would ANYONE be satisfied with that sort of answer at a top end resort? As mentioned above, the room was the farthest from reception, which meant also farthest from the closest available public toilet. I called reception a second, and a third time, before taking the risk of walking the hundreds of metres to another toilet. Along the way I must have passed 50 other employees (granted, not housekeeping staff), and not one with a roll of toilet paper heading to my room. At that time, I raised my concerns with the reception manager. I don't know what retraining he organised for his staff.
3. Further to the story above, when I returned to my room around 11am that day, it was clear housekeeping had been by (although the room was not made up), because a small pyramid of toilet rolls had been left on the end of the bed - there was still no fresh roll in the toilet. I'm not sure if a passive-aggressive message was being sent to me. Later that day, when the room had been made up, another message was left in the form of a hitherto hidden cupboard above the toilet, stocked with toilet paper and tissues. If only ANYONE I had spoken to during my three phone calls to reception and two visits to reception had told me of this unmarked cupboard with no external handles.
4. On three (I wonder if that number is significant) occasions, I had to remind the housekeeping staff (through reception), that the room with a kingsize bed AND a cot had three occupants, and therefore requires three towels, not two.
5. Housekeeping had not made up our room by 2pm on one day. I was confused because housekeeping had clearly been in the room: there were fresh towels and new bottles of drinking water. This was a problem because my daughter has a nap following lunch (this is identical to the kids' club nap schedule), so I called reception (again) to let them know the room had not yet been made up, but that it was now unavailable until 3pm, so my daughters nap would not be interfered with. Soooo... when a knock came at the door at 2.30pm, I have to wonder if reception passes on any messages at all.

Now, it would be remiss of me to leave out the fact that all of my grievances were eventually satisfied, but it was a painful process involving me explaining exactly what needed to be done, such as why we wanted three towels.

So my problems with Club Med Cherating Beach are reasonably minor, but revolve around systemic failures at the lower management level. Training of junior staff in the level of service expected at a high-priced, top level resort should definitely be a priority.

We will definitely visit Club Med again, because the concept is solid and the facilities for children are not matched anywhere else, but we may not visit Cherating Beach again.

Other points:

- The rooms have satellite TV, but it is a bit of a joke. The older rooms get very few channels, and in today's world of channel availability, I guess I expected more for the price - notwithstanding that we spent most of our time outside our room, there were still times when it would have been nice to watch a movie or put on a children's cartoon made later than the 1970s.

- The in-house laundry service is ridiculously overpriced. A single pair of shorts will cost RM7.50 to be laundered. I arranged for our laundry to be done at a nearby laundry and our whole 3.5kg bag of dirty clothes was washed, dried, and folded for RM12.50.

- There is no convenient access to cash at Club Med Cherating Beach. If you go on an excursion into Kemaman (the local town), the helpful GO will ask you prior to departure whether you have Malaysian currency, but can offer no advice on how to get any if you don't - despite the fact the tour bus passes no less than four banks with ATMs on the way to town, no access is provided unless you arrange it yourself. An ATM would be an excellent addition to the resort. I should add that this was not a problem for me, because we had sufficient cash, but we loaned some money to other guests who were stuck.

- Some of the excursions are quite limited. This may be due to the requirement to be back in time to make the dinner timings.

- I recommend the firefly excursion.
- I recommend the turtle sanctuary.
- I recommend the night markets and the shampoo massage; but be advised, if you get the massage, you will be left with 30 mins or less to see the markets, which is far from sufficient.
- I do not recommend the kampung life tour - we saw two men and a cat at the fishing docks, but few boats. The coconut-picking baboon is interesting, but only for 5 mins. The handicraft shop is similarly small and only showcased a single handicraft: rattan weaving. This was followed by a pit-stop in the Cherating village shop, which really only served to show the significant difference in price on identical items sold in a local shop compared to the boutique at Club Med, less than 500 metres away.

Club Med has a great reputation based upon a long history of providing excellent holidays for people all over the world and by remaining relevant to the changing vacation needs and expectations of its members. It would be a shame for this resort to be left in decay, when it has so many positives.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank sxwilso
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Spent 10 days with the family,it was great holidays.The club is very well design for family and the mini club is great also. Kids really appreciated to be there. The area in the middle of the jungle is fantastic.The teamis great also.THe check infor French member was good too.

The food was very good, lot of choice and korean and japanese specialities, indian also. Only desert has to be improved...

Very good for family, sealing, relax, and walk in the jungle...You have monkeys and kids loved it

The pool for adults is great too..quite unique actually with the view

I put only 4 stars, because the rooms are old and the air condis very noisy.

Moreover the rooms and sleeping areas are not clean at all...YOU REALLY NEED TO IMPROVE,and clean walls....

Room Tip: rooms 1152 and 1153 if you have 2,3 kids.No body upstairsand downstairs...and not too far everything...building E
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

This is my 2nd time to Club Med Cherating Beach. It was fabulous! We stayed in room 1138 & 1139. The housekeeping team did a great job in keeping our rooms clean. We even recieved a personalize welcome note from the trainee, Dylan H'ng that made us feel welcomed right from day 1.
My kids had lots of fun with the mini club. They enjoyed the stay n wanted to go back again.
The G.Os and trainees, (especially Dylan H'ng, Lennon & Mikey) are great! Their fun-loving & friendly nature had made our stay memorable.
The restaurant manager, Rishard & Jun did excellent jobs for the guests too! They were very attentive to the diners' needs.
And not forgetting about the fabulous performance put up by David, the Choreographer, & his team ! Great shows every night. It is definitely a better stay compared to the stay at Club Med @Bintan.
However, the GOs at reception weren't as friendly & informative as I have thought to be.

Overall, an excellent place !

• Stayed: March 2014