“2nd brilliant holiday :-)”
Review of Nicon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kos Town
Nicon
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Kos Town
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 1 week at end of september. This was our 2nd visit to the Nicon and i was a bit worried that this time may not be as good as last time....I need not have worried at all.
The rooms are basic but comfortable and clean. Shower was powerful (maybe a bit too powerful as we did soak the bathroom a couple of times!! Ooops!!) and stayed same temperature and although the bathroom was a little small...we could not complain. Rooms have the standard self catering equipment but we didnt use it this time. TV remote, safe and aircon are available for a reasonable deposit.
There was always plenty of sunbeds and they are probably one of the comfiest sunbeds i haveever experienced!! Pool area is immaculately clean, the gardens extremely well kept. Playpark for little ones a bit tired but has good slide, swings and roundabout. Pool table was free....as was table football and darts.
Pool snacks & drinks served from 9am and my kids loved the bacon sarnies by the pool every morning. Milkshakes also divine. Food and drinks very well pricex & served by Costas by day and Nico and Romeo by night. All staff extremely friendly and really make everyone very welcome. Nico even serves food until silly o' clock on the days the new arrivals come.
We really enjoyed the quiz night but Greek night was cancelled due to bereavement.
There are a couple of cats who frequent the hotel but they are clean annd in no way a nuisance.
Locally there is a supermarket across the road aswell as restaurants within a 5 minute walk. Avoid the Mavromatis...poor food and service, Classic Cafe was ok but the Blue Ocean is a must. There are also many restaurants on the 20 minute walk into Kos Town. It is a pleasant walk but the constant 'ding ding' from bicycle bells annoyed us a tad. It did tend to be Europeans on holiday as opposed to the Greek and Brits who used the bells much more freely!!
I loved my time at the Nicon and will most defintely be back...already looking at times and prices for next year :-) :-)

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank kittykat73

Reviewed September 28, 2012

we stayed at the nicon for 2 weeks at the end of august beginning of september. when we reported our shower was spurting walter upwards instead of down and soaking the bathroom walls and ceiling spiros was really rude and said we had been here less than a week and had already broken the shower. when we denied this he replied thats what they all say implying we were liers. we then went and sat round the pool and later spiros came to the bar looked around for us and then pointed us out to his son, it felt like we were being singled out as troublemakers. my husband and myself are oaps not exactly hooligan material. i tried not to let it worry me but it took the shine off our holiday. i have read several times in other reviews that spiros is rude to people i dont think he deserves such a high star rating. in the 20 years i have been with my husband we have been abroad over 40 times and have never been treated like this.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank june p
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We have just returned from our 5th holiday at The Nicon and once again we had a great time. We find all the staff are friendly and they always make us feel welcome. The apartments are quite basic but what do you need on holiday besides a clean and comfy place to stay. The Greek night is really good value for 10 Euros, where else can you get fed, watered and entertained for that price. We will definitely be going back, we look forward to seeing you again, Spiros, Nicos and Costas.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jane S
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed at nicon for 11 days and couldnt fault it! Rooms were basic, but who spends there whole holiday in there room! It was clean and cleaned daily, small kitchen area in room which was just right to make tea, coffee and bacon butties for breakfast! And there is a local shop two mins from the hotel that sells near enough everything you would need. The pool/bar area is clean and very welcoming! The bar staff are amazing. And the entertainment at night is a great laugh! If you want to get into town its about a 30min walk which isnt that bad because there are so many things to see and amire on the way. But there is also a bus service three min walk from hotel that come every 15 mins that stops at the entrance of town. Also next door to the hotel is a small bike rental shop which is really cheap and you can also rent out quad bikes which are great for those who want to explore the island a bit further. We did it and it was great and 25€ a day is great value. Also i have read a few reviews and noticed people mentioning the rooster that wakes people up in the morning, the weather is to nice to stay in bed so think of it as a sunny day alarm clock to get a good spot round the pool. It never bothered me... I even came home with a rooster tattooed on my leg to remind me of an amazing time at nicon. I will seriously be thinking about returning next year!! All in all id give the place 99% the missing 1% is down to the fact that the barman romeo cant sing haha! Xx

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Savetherooster
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had an encounter, which unfortunately tarnished the trip for us- we arrived at Nicon at 3am after a late flight into Kos. When we got into our room we noticed one of the mattresses had a stale urine smell coming from it- the sheets were clean and to touch it felt dry, we couldn't be sure it was urine but that's what it smelt like. Anyway we slept on it but in the morning we noticed that the sheets had become stained from the moisture in the mattress overnight and the smell was distinctly worse. We went straight to speak to reception where we were greeted by a grumpy man called Spiros. After we explained he instantly got his back up saying that the couple who were previously in the room wouldn't have wet the bed, that the cleaner deserved to be sacked if the bed was indeed wet and that there was no way he had a urine stained/smelling mattress in his apartments so therefore told me that I must have wet the bed! Furious, we took him to the room to show him, he admitted that yes it did look and smell like urine but again still adamant that I had wet the bed myself! He was very rude and very unhelpful in solving the matter- we asked for new/different mattress and rightly so because it stank and he said "no" expecting me to sleep for another night in the wee smelling bed! We were getting absolutely nowhere with him so we left it and spoke to our travel rep that in the end got it sorted straight away. We thought this would be the end of it but Spiros went nuts at us for speaking to our rep about it saying that we had gone behind his back. He just wouldn't let it drop for the whole 7 days we were there. His apartments are tatty and dated and there are much better places to stay even if you are on a budget. Steer clear everyone. Not worth it and that cockerel waking you at 6am everyday was just the icing on the cake for us. I wouldn’t recommend anyone stay here, even if you are desperate.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Helen B
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed here a few weeks ago for the first time and although it is quite basic the apartment we stayed in was clean and had everything we needed,you have to pay for the aircon but well worth it in the summer,the rooms have a tv and safe,its family run and everyone works really hard and are very helpful,we had a very small shower and bathroom but everything worked really well.
It is a good 20 minute stroll into town but its a walk along the seafront which is quite pleasant,there is free wifi by the pool and a computer which you have to pay to use but is quite cheap,we met lots of brilliant people including the staff and holiday makers (especially john & gaynor)which i think make us enjoy our stay even more.
A nice clean pool and plenty of sunbeds and very good food and service,only downside you can't book direct as its a thomson's only hotel,but would definately return.
I have to say that although it isn't the most

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul N
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We arrived at 7am after a delay and change of airport tired and grumpy. We were met by Nikos and shown to our apartment. We were only on the first floor so didn't have to carry our suitcases far. When I first saw the apartment my heart sank because it looked dated (there was a radio built into the headboard!) and the pillows were w little hard. After my sleep I woke up and soon changed my opinion. The apartment had everything we needed from a kettle to a toaster and was spotless. Within a few hours it felt like home.

The pool was small but great, loungers were so comfortable and there was always some available. The food was great at the bar and iced coffees were to die for. I would reccomend the pita and hummus to anyone! The rep was great and full on infomation.

Greek night at the apartments was great fun, the food was amazing! I was promised by my friend that I wouldn't haver to dance but before I knew it I was dancing with the best of them.

The rooster was a bit of a pain especially as he liked to live on the grass just outside our apartment. We were told he had just moved in a few weeks previously and they have been trying to catch him so he can be rehomed somewhere else. The rooster wasn't ideal but we got used to it and is no fault of the hotel, they even have a 100 euro bounty on his head which made us all laugh. Some people even tried to catch him.

The town was about a 20 min walk but we hired bikes for a week for 20 euros and had a fab time exploring. As someone else mentioned watch our for the pedestrians - they ignore the bells. We also caught the bus into town and would walk home to walk off our food a little. The marina is closer and has a few restuarants. There are also a few places to eat at the end of the road. We ate in the first one you come to twice and actually sat on the beach. The food and staff were amazing.

There is a supermarket on the same road as the hotel which had everything we needed and the staff were really friendly. You can buy bus tickets to the town and Therma springs here, it's a bit cheaper if you buy them before you get in the bus.

We didn't have a bad meal and experienced some of the tastiest food I have ever eaten abroad.

The views were to die for - we spent the first few days saying wow.

Would I go again? Yes, clean rooms, good food and good location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Ampavris Family Apartments
Ampavris Family Apartments
#15 of 48 in Kos Town
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa

Been to Nicon? Share your experiences!