“Don't worry, be happy”

Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Kos Town
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Don't worry, be happy”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stay at Ampavris Apts each time we go to Kos, lovely location just out of town but close enough to walk into town if you want. The rooms are basic but have plenty of room. We had a one bedroom apt this year and it was very nice. The owners and staff are very welcoming and friendly. "Greek Night" should not be missed. Sheets and towels are changed on a regular basis. Don't worry about staying here, there are no problems that cannot be sorted out

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rossi91234

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed here with 4 friends for the first week of September and had a fantastic time. We had two first floor apartments, the rooms were basic but that's all you need really. Comfortable beds and plenty of space to keep our things. A bathroom with a shower and bath and the water was always hot! Our towels and sheets were cleaned twice during the week which was lovely and we paid 35 euros for air con for the week which was more than fair.

George and his family are absolutely lovely. There's always someone on hand to help you with anything and they're so friendly and welcoming. There's a sign above the bar that says "Enter as strangers leave as friends" and I definitely agree with that. Special mention to Eirini who made our stay so much fun and we're all looking forward to seeing again soon. George and his family also did a Greek night which is not to be missed if there is one on while you're staying there. Lovely home made food and lots of Greek dancing, so much fun!

The apartments themselves are also great location wise, there's a fantastic taverna a 2 minute walk down the road as well as a small supermarket which has everything you could need. Its also about a ten minute walk to town where you can find the harbour and the bus station for trips out as well as plenty of restaurants/shops and things to do. Its also on 6 Euro for a taxi back after a night out which is a bonus!

All in all Ampavris is a fantastic place and I can see why so many people go year after year, whether you're after a family holiday a relaxing week or a girls/boys holiday it caters to all.

Best in Kos!

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back are quieter, George's block nos 20+ but rooms towards the front are newer...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I arrived late on a Wednesday evening to be greeted by a friendly young girl called Eirini, who made us feel welcome and showed us to our room. After dumping our case's we headed to the bar where Eirini served us beers and made us fresh pizzas before we headed off to bed. The room met my needs, 2 balconies poolside, and a large clean bathroom, and a comfy double bed. There was a 2 ring hob (which you find in most self catering apartments) but as I didn't want sit in and cook, I didn't find this a problem. I was more than impressed with pool with many sunbeds and a awesome view! I could see the sea, the coast of turkey, and many cruise ships coming into port which was nice. As it was early September it wasn't overly busy which I liked as it was chilled poolside. The resort is family run which is really good and all the family are very friendly, I left feeling like a part of their family. Both George and his wife are extremely friendly and and always smiling and talking to guests. The apartments are a 10 minute walk from Kos town which isn't that bad, Ambavris is set back from the busy streets so its nice and quiet. During my stay I got talking to lots of other friendly guests too, some of whom have returned to the resort many times. As i was celebrating my birthday out there I had arranged to go into town to celebrate with people I'd met at the bar, We met at the Ambavris bar where the family brought me out a cake and sang happy birthday to me, which was a nice touch. Eirini then offered to take us into town and show us some bars, which I found was a really nice thing for her to do. There was also greek night at the Ambavris which was really fun, excellent food and lots of dancing, in which we all got involved in. Upon leaving after an amazing holiday the family then came to say goodbye and waved us off on the coach. I will definitely be returning next year. The photos I've posted are of the view and pool.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here sept this year we arrived early hours of the morning an was met by a member of the family she was very friendly got us a drink an made us fresh pizza our room was really nice clean an modern over the next 7days we were made to feel really welcome George an his wife are so friendly nothing was to much trouble from the free drinks to the shots I was made to feel like one of the family the Greek night was really good loads of BBQ food an dancing there was plenty of sun lounges there's a local tavern down road the food is highly recommended local shop with all local food and British food kos town is a short walk about 15 min on reading some of other guest comments I disagree this is a good value apartments and I've already booked to go back next year and I'm doing two weeks I cannot wait to George his wife and the rest of the gang ****

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Phill1979
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here for 11 nights in August and was pretty much what we expected from self catering in Greece. The apartment was a decent size (yes our door did need a push to open but nothing to worry about) . The self catering facilities are basic but we were not planning on doing any cooking !! We did not pay for AC but bought a fan in town and left the door open (balcony onto bedroom) Our apartment was towards the back of the complex which was fine for us never heard any noise from the bar or from other apartments. Our balcony was a sun trap and nice to sit out on later in the evening. The walk into town is about 10 - 15 mins found the restaurant near the apartments the best value and food very good. Supermarket is fine and handy to get water bread fruit and drinks. George would always say hello when he was around. Found there was a lot of repeat guests. We went to the pool at various times of the day and always found a sun bed (yes some are broken but still useable) Pool snack bar fine for sandwiches burgers pizzas etc. We enjoyed our stay and had no complaints

Room Tip: Room 27 towards back of complex away from pool and bar and on 2nd floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
nottingham
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Myself and my husband plus five other family members stayed here for two weeks from the 31st July 2013.
On our arrival George and his family were there to meet and greet us with a free glass of juice, we thought this was very nice and felt welcome. It was late evening so we was hungry but never offered anything to eat as the kitchen was closed. On first appearance our room appeared to be fine and a good size. Now we have stayed in some places with dodgy wiring before but this was particularly poor. When we woke the next morning in the daylight there was sockets hanging right of the wall and a bowl under the sink to catch the water as the plumbing was broken, this stunk but it was not the bowl of water it was the pipes themselves. The self catering facilities are very very poor, you have a two ring stove and a kettle. There was no sharp knifes to chop anything, no toaster and one pan so you are limited to what you can cook.
Into the holiday the door to the balcony which had been getting stuck from day one came of in my husbands hands and he had to put this back on. We did not complain as we had heard several people doing this and they just got told yes we will sort it but several days later they were still complaining about the same things not being sorted, so what was the point. My sister in law complained about the light bulb in her bathroom blowing and she had to nag them for a week before it actually got changed. There is no where near enough sunbeds around the pool and the children's park is very run down and neglected. There is broken rusty grates around the pool also but no warning signs.
Also into the holiday the owner George ask one of my party why does she eat the tasteless food they serve and she stated to him if you serve something descent I will eat it, he then laughed in her face. The next day he placed on the bbq fresh fish and a huge fish head with lots of vegetables. All the guest thought great he's doing us all a bbq, wrong! He cooked this for himself and sat and ate this in front of all the guests who unless they travelled out had to eat his rubbish of burgers and chips. At this point I was so angry as he sat smiling at the other guests whilst eating. He did twice throughout the holiday.
The apartment at the front of the complex appeared to be very modern and new so if its these that get inspected by Thomson they are going pass all inspections, Thomson's need to go to the apartments right at the back of the complex and inspect how poor they are.
Now, it is a 15min walk to the main town but Thomson sold us the holiday saying there was local tavernas near to the apartments, ummm yes there is ONE restaurant(which we ate at 3 times, very good). The road into town through the village is a death trap for adults let alone if you have children, me and my husband nearly got wiped out by a lorry when it came to the narrow parts of the road. Be careful its not family friendly. If you go to the bottom of the rd you will reach the main rd, turn right here anda few yards down the rd on the opposite side there is some steps, these will take you the quickest way into town. If you go left at the main rd and take the first left again you will get to the bus station. The local bus service is excellent and you can get to anywhere on the island and they are always on time( 2euros each). But it is a free for all when getting on them. Kos has a huge amount of Dutch tourist which tend to take over and push you out of the way.
Kos town is very beautiful but expensive. Meals average around 6-12 euros each and its mainly 4 euros a pint but there are pints for 1.50 at the quieter end but we tried these and it was not a nice drink. A glass of wine varied from 3-5 euros but most of the local house wine was very nice. There is plenty of shopping to do here and for us it was far to busy and would be the sort of place where we would stay somewhere quieter and visit Kos town for the day. The beaches in Kos town are very crammed and every sunbed is side by side and the beach's are very poor if you have small children, they are mainly full of young Dutch teenagers drinking all day and the sea is a sudden drop when you go in here. There is a local bus to Tagaki which has an amazing beach and is ideal for children as it is very shallow for miles and is pure golden sands. Tagaki is a small place and I would stay here if I was to come to Kos again. (it was also cheaper)
We would recommend the Ambavaris restaurant in the village near the apartments, the Sunburnt arms which do a proper English Sunday dinner as the owner is married to a nice English lady(very nice people). This is to the left of the harbour at the end and down the rd on the right. In Kos town we also ate at the traditional Greek restaurant and the Italian restaurant which are side by side and both were excellent and of high standards. Alexandros is also a family run restaurant which is a little hard to find if your not looking hard enough. It is behind the bug church which has two lots of steps up to it and it is a very good little home cook restaurant.
Me and my husband got the bus to the village in the mountain called Pilli, this is a very beautiful village with a few tourist attractions such as ruins and a fresh water spring. We walked up through the village at the back of the church and higher up into the mountain but following the rd. We then came to the panorama café/bar which over looked the whole of the coast and was a beautiful sight, but boy was it hot so if you do fancy walking up there please take plenty of water.
The airport at Kos was fine landing but coming home was a complete nightmare. Half of it was closed, we had to queue outside and the Thomson staff gave a party of nine the wrong information which nearly caused them to be separated and half of them unable to fly as the other half had the tickets. If it was not for the family thinking quick it would of been a bad situation. Thomsons really need to train their staff with the correct information on all possible questions which would be asked.
Finally, at the weekends in the apartment there was a lot of Italians came over for long weekends. When they arrived in the evening they were cooked a full meal and their flag was displayed and over all got treated 10times better than the English. The Italians also took over all the sunbeds that were there so there was people sitting on the floor. Clearly George favours the Italians to the English as they were treated so much better.
Aircon and safety deposit box for two weeks was 85 euros.
There is a lot of sightseeing to do in Kos town and you can hire a bike for 7 euros for the day but be warned they are ten foot high and made for the Dutch. Oh yeah beware of the man who wears a cap and glasses and begs, I gave him 3 euros then the locals told me he owns 5 houses and a yacht.
Overall our Holiday was just ok but would not be back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Nottingham241
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

What a great place to unwind, we had a recently refurbished apartment, which was a very good standard. Pool great, bar area great and only 10/15 min walk to KOS town & beach. This is a quiet but very family/friendly location, but if you want the night-life it is only a 10 min walk to the busy strip.Will visit again soon as we met so many decent folk & staff.

All the staff/family were great, but a special thanks to Grigori & Steve for making our stay even better.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view, we stayed in room 9 which was a very good standard
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family