“Brilliant Facilities but too many children running wild which ruined it!”
Review of Blue Lagoon Resort

Blue Lagoon Resort
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The hotel is not a five star hotel, this is a shame because it is largely the result of too many children and being overcrowded. The facilities are amazing and the staff are very friendly, helpful and kind. The place is kept beautiful.

Me and my partner spent 2 weeks in this hotel and had high expectations. This was really let down. It seems that parents do not want to take responsibility for their children when on holiday in this resort and let them run wild. Before I came to this resort I have never been bothered by children on holiday, yet it seems in this hotel it was a lot more noticeable.

ROOM:
We were initially allocated in block 8000 directly above the noisy piano bar which is open until 1am each night whereby people get very drunk and among the music become very loud and drunk. This was made worst by the fact we were located right by the busy stair well in an open marble area, hence noise from 6am carried and woke us up. This mean that for the first 8 nights are holiday was spoilt by not being able to get a good night sleep. I complained and reception were accommodating in moving us, however this took 3 days. We moved to block 9000 for the last 6 nights of our stay, this was marginally better but was located among families and so we still got the noise in the morning, however this was still an improvement. If you are a couple I would suggest you try and book in the adults only block, 7000, we would have done this if we had known when booking initially. On a plus side we did receive a free bottle of champagne upon arrival which I thought was a nice touch. The rooms were very small, our second room was designed for a family of 4 and included bunk beds, this in my opinion would be too small for 4 people. The room only had one draw which I imagine would not be enough for a family. We also found that the sheets and pillo cases had stains on them most of the time, which is a real shame because no one wants to sleep in a bed which looks unclean. Also, beware the hotel will charge you if you stain the room towels, this did not happen to us but we knew of a few people who got charged 20EUROs per towel which they stained. We also asked for the balcony light to be fixed in our first room which took 4 days and asking 3 times, this was disappointing because we could sit out on the balcony at night for our first 4 days.

FACILITIES:
These were very good and did represent the 5 star rating. There were lots of pools including child pools and an on-site waterpark, albeit only with 4 slides, but this was an extra touch. Towards the end of the holiday we spent most of the time around the adults pool. This was quiet and relaxing. They had an on-site spa, including a gym which we used most days. Treatments were also available at an additional cost. They have a beach across the road but you have to pay for sun beds, also the beach has shingles so we kept to the pools.

FOOD:
The restaurant has a main buffet restaurant which in our opinion was busy and hectic. The food was mass produced but there was always something you liked to eat. At peak times (7.30-8.30) it was chaos and there is no way you would want to spend more time than necessary eating your evening meal, largely the result of too many people and children running wild. They do have themed nights at this restaurant which were nice. The hotel also has a Greek and BBQ grill restaurant both comprising a buffet-style layout of their respective themes. The food again was okay, and was appropriate for the large hotel and number of months they needed to feed. These were less busy compared with the main restaurant as you have to book in advance. The hotel also has one al-la-cart restaurant which is Italian. This was our favourite place to eat and there was no limit on the number of times you ate there, however it did get very busy so you had to book in advance. The best thing about this hotel was that you order your soup and main off a menu and have pasta/salads and dessert from a buffet, the food was to an excellent standard and the service was brilliant. This was made possible by the fact it was mainly an adults only restaurant (except Tues and Fri). Staff could pay the attention to customers, this meant you could actually enjoy your meal in peace and quiet. They also served breakfast here and because it was located in the annex (near our rooms) we went there most mornings. I would suggest the hotel kept it an adults-only breakfast area in addition to dinner.

ENTERTAINMENT:
This was the highlight of our holiday. The animation team work throughout the day and evening to make customers' holiday's the best they can be. They provide day-time activities in the pool and across the resort. In the evening they put on fantastic shows with proper singing and dancing; I have been to other all-inclusive resorts and have found the entertainment quite naff but here it was really excellent. It was made better by the fact that the team came and spoke to us throughout the day and before the show. They were really a lovely team and work very very hard but always have a smile on their faces.

THOMSON EXCURSION:
We booked three-excursions with Thomson as we were in Kos for two-weeks. We went to Turkey, this was well worth a visit but we would not recommend going through Thomson. You pay a premium which involves waiting around (we waiting 2 hours after going through customs for the ferry to arrive, we had no toilets or shade). The organisation of this trip was poor. Similarly, we booked to go on a fishing and grill day, this was advertised as a fishing trip but when we arrived the boat was considerably overpacked and we only got to do half an hour of fishing with a string rather than proper equipment that was advertised. For the rest of the day we were taken to a beach whereby they cooked a BBQ, this was enjoyable, but was not what we expected from the day. Overall we felt they falsely advertised this trip and again it was aimed at families who want a boat ride, rather than people who wanted to learn to do actual fishing. We did however, get a trip to Kia (the highest point on the island with beautiful views of the sunset), for just 1Euro after we booked the above two trips. This essentially paid for our bus fair. We had a lovely meal, the restaurant was recommended and booked by the Thomson reps. This was in our opinion the best trip out of the three and the one that cost the least!

Overall, we did have an enjoyable holiday, despite the negative points above. I think it was just a bit of a let down as we had expected so much more. We felt we did get good value for money, however. I recognise a lot of the points expressed above are not easily rectifiable for the hotel as its largely a result of the cliental and the types of families which come to the resort. I feel sorry for the staff in the hotel, they work incredibly hard but I do not feel that many people are grateful for this. I do not think I would be recommending this to friends or coming back in the future. I hope this review helps

Room Tip: 7000 adults only
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rachel1992Reading
Write a ReviewReviews (2,802)

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Staff were always helpful, check in and out was quick helpful and painless, bags taken and picked up from the room
We had a room at the adult pool block 7000 was clean roomy great aircon. Fruit and a bottle of wine included
Eat at the Italian restaurant if you can, great food, you can take children but only on 2 days out of the week.
Food in the main restaurant was fine, breakfast was the best.
Great pool and slide area, always food to eat all day, The animation team where friendly helpful and polite.
They had some great shows while we where there. very good dancers.
I would go again with my partner.
Nice changing rooms for your last day before you had to leave to come home

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jonnyboy1958
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is the best i have ever stayed at - when we went to check in the reception staff couldnt have been friendlier, the reception/lobby area is beautiful ( i dont know how on earth some people can compare it to a school canteen or whatever they say ...dont know what sort of school they go to). The guys who drive the golf buggies are great, we were given a tour of the hotel then they took us to drop our cases off at our room an waited while we dumped our cases and they took us back to the bar. it was after 12pm when we arrived and we were given a free drink and there were some sanwiches. The bar staff in the main bar were great - alwaays trying out new cocktails and soooo friendly. We loved the italian restaurant the best - the starters were buffet and were amazing - lasagne, mussel pasta , king prawn pasta, for mains there were pizzas , a lamb dish, pork dish, fish. the pizzas were beautiful. I didnt like the bbq grill - on a lunch time the food was nice but night time i just didnt think it was as god - there wasnt as much choice as lunch tme an the chicken was awful - was like rubber. The greek restaurant was nice and the service was unbelievable - best service we have ever had in a restaurant. The main restaurant was really good too lots of choice and nie to sit outside too. Our room was in the adults only block - it was brill - the room actually had 2 sinks, a big double bed, another bedroom with 2 single beds - a nice sized balcony with a nice view of the adults only pool. wel worth going for thr adults only rooms. it was great. the adults only pool was beautiful and the bar guys brought drinks over to you instead of you haing to go to bar. It was so peaceful apart from one foreign family who obviously cant read came to the pool and let their kids play in it...some people say the drinks had no alcohol in them but they must of been strong as i was pretty drunk off them. well worth going to jos town for the night - bar strip was great. the hotels waterpark was good fun - 4 big slides. the food there was good - burger,hotdog, crepe, pizza.

only bad things ;
i got charged 10 euro for aparently staining a hand towel with make up - i have never ever heard a hotel doing this before. i was too hungover to complain so just paid it. I thought it was ridiculuous!!

enteainemnt wasnt my cup of tea. but we were happy sitting in the man bar

the beach ist great

quite a hike going to kos town - not very well sign posted so we ended up etting lost and going in wrong direction - when we ended up finding the right way it was a bit like the hlls have eyes - there were no paths and it was just bit of a strange place.

this was my favourite holiday ever
first time all inclsuive and i loved it
will definetly return one day

Room Tip: adults only room block 7000
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Beths89
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We booked fully aware that it was a family resort and we have stayed in family resorts before. My partner and I are in our early 30's however I can honestly say this is the worse hotel I have stayed in.

It's noisy and full of screaming children so wouldn't recommend it for couples. It does have good facilities for those that like the butlins type of holiday and families so if you fit that criteria then fill your boots you will be right at home.

Not sure why people say staff are friendly because I haven't found that. I fell over and landed hard on my back outside one of the bars due to the floor being wet and no sign up yet none of the staff seemed bothered and when I asked for the manager he didn't arrive.

We found the adults only pool a quiet Sanctuary to get away from all the chavs and brats so would highly recommend staying there, however, there is no adults only evening bar so we had to go into Kos town.

Would highly recommend Jasmine bar in Kos town as it was reasonably priced, good food and showed the tennis and formula 1 so I was happy.

Facilities are good and the food was good, I'm a fussy vegetarian and even I found the food nice so that is a plus point however the BBQ restaurant is not suited for vegetarians.

I would not go back to this hotel and would not recommend it for couples of civilised adults.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I'm going to keep this review short as there are plenty of very good informative reviews on here to read.

This resort is brilliant for a family holiday with children. My son had a brilliant time playing in the pools and water park. We were in the satellite area which was ok, yes it was a bit of a walk but more often then not there was a golf buggy going by and the staff always stopped and asked if we wanted a lift if they had room! We had a slight problem with a room as it was tucked away in the corner and therefore it was pretty dark. We asked to be moved, we didn't mind staying on the satellite area but we just wanted a lighter room with a balcony that saw a bit of sun but the receptionist said no!

The food was slightly repetitive however there is plenty of it, the pancake stand at the main pool is fab! The Italian restaurant is also brilliant! Make sure you book as soon as you arrive if you have children as you can only go on 2 days a week with children and it gets full very quickly!

The beach is not great but we still spent a lovely afternoon swimming in the sea and the hotel have a drinks stand there so you can still get your free drinks :) be prepared to pay €5 each for your lounger though!

The reason I've not given this 5 stars is because I believe they still haven't got everything spot on yet. The receptionist were a bit rude, the evening entertainment was a bit hit and miss, some nights were brilliant but others were terrible! And we didn't appreciate the fact that the face painting for children took place at 8.30-9pm at night!

If you looking for a resort holiday where you don't have to do anything about from swimming, eating and drinking then this is perfect! Lots to keep the kids entertained!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Warbe28
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We travelled here for 2 weeks at the end of June as a family of 4 adults and 2 children aged 3 and 20 months. When we arrived we had a speedy and helpful check in and were taken to our rooms by golf buggy, we had a seaview next to the lagoon pool which was an excellent location.The resort is huge and it takes a couple of days to get your bearings but its fantastic and so family friendly.

There are plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from at night including the main buffet, Greek, BBQ and Italian. All of which were excellent with plenty of choice for even the fussiest eater.

The annexe or "satellite" part of the hotel is just off site and looks like another hotel which has been taken over by Blue Lagoon Resort. This area hosts one of the kids pools, the First Choice kids club, the playground, the adults only pool, the piano bar and the Italian restaurant. Families can book in on a Tuesday and Friday night at the Italian.

Our 3 year old loved Kids club and couldn't wait to go. The staff were pleasant and friendly and made sure our little boy had plenty of fun, so thankyou.

The animation team were also excellent. "Seby" and his team worked hard to provide really good entertainment for the guests. Seby also kept our children entertained with balloon swords which they loved, so thankyou.

The lagoon Pool is HUGE and AMAZING. The hotel have a strict policy that towels are removed from sunbeds when unoccupied which was great as there was no early get ups to save a sunbed. You wouldn't need to anyway, there is a huge space of sunbeds and umbrellas.

The waterpark for the kids is also an excellent addition to the resort. Shallow pools with water sprays and slides for little kids and 4 large slides for older kids and adults. Again plenty of loungers and parasols. This was our favourite lunchtime place with fresh kebabs, burgers, giros, pizza, salad, chips etc. It really was very nice and loads for the children to choose from. Ice creams, crepes and fresh fruit were also available.

The Crepe/sandwich station at the Lagoon pool is excellent and the staff lovely.

The resort is the cleanest we have ever been to. The staff are all very friendly and cant do enough for you. They work hard and are a credit to the resort.

The only disappointment was the room. We were upgraded to seaview before our arrival but apparently all rooms are the same size unless you pay extra for a suite. The room consisted of 3 beds (twin and single) and a cot for our baby. There really was hardly any floor space left for anything else. There was one wardrobe and one drawer. We had no storage for belongings for a family of four in one room. No where to put the pushchair out of the way or suitcases. I don't want to sound negative but that was our only issue as our things were everywhere.......

Until we were offered an in-house promotion by the hotel to spend our last 5 nights at their sister hotel Blue Lagoon Village in Kefalos..... WOW. Please read my review for that.

All in all an excellent family orientated resort that we would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Our block 2000 was perfect location. Central to everything but far enough away not to hear the shows...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ChrisandVix
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Butlins International

There are 5 Star hotels and there are 5 Star hotels and I am somewhat amazed at the reviews it had been given. I can only assume that Butlins have gone international.

The hotel does not have the service, facilities or management approach to be a proper 5 Star hotel. I have never had to pay 30€ for a Safety Deposit Box, 20€ for WiFi that is only available in the lobby, 5€ for a sun longer and parasol on the hotel beach or 1€ for a bottle of water so I can brush my teeth in a 5 Star all inclusive hotel.

The bars and pool areas are over run with children running amok at all hours while even their parents take cover. Children appear to be powered by Crepes but neither them or their parents are able to work a dustbin. Pool areas are covered in wrappers and serviettes that the staff simply ignore as opposed to picking up.

The one major plus for the hotel was its proximity to Kos Town, where you could escape the hoards of screaming brats and clueless parents, and enjoy a civilised evening for a reasonable price, but at 16€ for a return taxi it will reduce the number of times you can escape.

Having emailed the hotel first to ask for a room in a quiet part of the hotel, we were allocated to room 2012, a stones throw from the main activity pool and backing onto part of the Kos Grand Prix circuit. If you are really determined to come here, make sure you book the adults only area, although it is 100 metres down the road from the main complex. Rooms are small with very limited storage space, but they are kept spotlessly clean. Amazingly, in the 21st century, the hotel have been able to source big boxy TV's to show the news in English on four channels; no chance of a quiet night in watching a movie. The shower was poor, and if you actually want anything above warm water make sure you shower before 5:30.

Undoubtedly, the food is excellent, a good variety of well cooked food using quality ingredients, provided you can find a table and put up with the school canteen mentality. The restaurant, as with all areas of the hotel, is flooded with staff. Why? - I have no idea.... much like them. Ask the Maitre D' to find you a table and you get a shrug, a laugh and told, 'You find one!'

The hotel is too small for the number of guests - the pools, restaurants and bars are too crowded and noisy to be enjoyable.

In summary, the Blue Lagoon Resort is barely all inclusive; if you come you will pay a lot if euros extra for the simple basics, if you like Butlins you'll love the Blue Lagoon Resort, but if you are a civilised individual you can get a far better deal for your money.

• Stayed: July 2013
#1 of 48 in Kos Town
Gaia Garden
Gaia Garden
#9 of 48 in Kos Town

Been to Blue Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!