“More than helpful!”
Review of Hotel Sonia

Hotel Sonia
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Kos Town
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Helpful not once, not twice but three times!

I arrived very early morning on the boat from Syros and the owner's son very kindly picked me up at the port. I suppose I could have queued for a taxi but it was a very appreciated gesture. When at the hotel I expected that I would have to wait for a number of hours before a room was ready for me but before long one was ready for me and it was an upgrade too! So very kind of them.

However, what showed that they were really prepared to go the extra mile and more was the following day after I had left for the island of Nisyros. I discovered that I had left my identity card at the hotel. MAJOR PANIC! Yet again Hotel Sonia showed great service. Not to worry they said - they would send it to me on the next ferry from Kos to Nisyros. Sure enough I got it as promised. This indeed is great service.

What else do I need to say? My room was clean, comfortable and welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank rubensatcomo

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Hotel Sonia

We read the reviews and in some parts agree, though in summary I think the best phase to describe Hotel Sonia is 'you get what you pay for'!

Room.....we moved original allocated room (room 10) because it was too noisy, we could hear other guests having their breakfast early morning. We asked to be moved and was given a bigger room (room 5) which was much nice and quieter. We did have to pay a little extra for the bigger room though. All rooms are quite basic but very clean. The showers are fine and the air-con is good and they did provide a fan when asked which was nice.

Beds.....I've never experienced back ache like it. I aged 50 years 'sleeping' on hard slabs of bedding. Whilst some might like this, it was truly awful leading to sleeping on a lilo! I dreaded bed-time!

Breakfast.....Was ok but not great. You had a choice of toast and 1 egg should you choose it, coffee and orange. The bowl of jam and marmalade with the toast was always served in the same 2 tub everyday which i didnt like, couldnt help but think how many germs were on the bowls. Other breakfast options were available such as an omelette or toastie which you had to pay extra for but these were nice.

Location......as they say location, location, location. This is the prominent attribute of the hotel located nicely behind the harbour but within 2mins walking. It is quiet enough on the street with windows closed. We did have a room with a balcony though in the shade after 10am.

Staff.....Were friendly and helpful. Cleaner was very good!

Facilities.....The rooms do lack a kettle for making your own drinks although all extra drinks and food is available on site but at a cost. Bit inconvenient if you wanted a coffee first thing.

Checking out..... Was good. We had a late night flight and had to check out of our room at 12pm. Sonia and her sons kindly let us leave our bags in their secure office and then let us use a room for a couple of hours to shower and get ready for our flight home. Although we did have to pay extra for this we did appricate it.

All in I'd go back knowing what i know now but only for a couple of days. Kos Town is a lovely place. We stayed for 1 week in August and feel we would have been better staying somewhere with a pool that we could relax by a little as it was very hot, however if you are only there for a few days to explore the area then this is a great hotel to stay at.

Room Tip: Room 10 or a balcony room floor 1
Reviewed September 3, 2012

It was the second time we went to Kos, and the second time we stayed at Hotel Sonia. No reason to think of going anywhere else, because we loved it there the first time, and we loved it the second time just as much! Sonia, Yiannis and Afedoulis, you are the most hospitable and friendly people, and this review comes with a warm recommendation for everyone to stay at your hotel, to eat your yummy feta omelette, to smell the jasmine in your lovely garden and to have a great time in Kos. Thanks for everything! Give Liza a hug.

Room Tip: If you like your privacy: ask for room number 14, 15 or 16. They're down at the garden, and you...
1  Thank Sanne_Ruud
Reviewed August 30, 2012

rooms very very clean, positions: central of the city and the most important thing : Sonia's family very very nice and helpful :) breakfast: jam homemade excellent :D a lot of possibilities (greek yoghurth with honey, omelette with feta, bacon or fried eggs with bacon) breakfast on the terrace very very nice :) very good for families and couples and holiday with friends too :D
very very good quality in terms of value for money. The hotel is perfectly in the city center and near there are a lot of bars and restaurants. Parking on the street in front of the hotel :)
I recommed this hotel absolutely :D for us was wonderful :D

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Silvia L
Reviewed August 24, 2012

You can find a very friendly environment, thanks to the owners of the hotel who are really kind and helpful. Even better, prices are fitting the whole service...that means: clean rooms with all comforts at 5 min walk from the city center. You'll like it!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cat m
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The owner Sonia and here family was providing an fantastic and warm hospitality, and you feel that you are taking care of and treated as a special guest from day one of the stay.
Most of the rooms have been refurnished recently and provide a very good quality in terms of value for money.
The hotel is situated perfectly close to the harbor and the old town and just a short walk from the restaurants down town.
We also strongly recommend to order the omelet for breakfast that Sonia is preparing personally for you - and as we did every morning - a great coffy on the balcony.
If you are looking for a genuine greece atmosphere and hospitality - this is the place!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 4 or 5
1  Thank May Britt B
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Great little hotel! Really close to the harbor and good walking distance to everything. Currently the rooms are limited (I think there's only 6) and they're all upstairs but the hotel is in the process of renovating the bottom floor and adding an elevator. As it stands, the rooms are very modern with a newly renovated bathroom. Once again I have a Great little balcony and I can see the ocean! Sonia is super nice and makes breakfast every morning and asks about your plans. She's originally from Kos and has all sorts of tips on things to do. I read in a guidebook this hotel used to be a cheap pension (hence the prices) but since they're renovating and updating they kept the prices the same while they upgrade. Fine by me as it means I can afford a great, chic hotel on a grad student budget!

I do want to make on addendum though. Upon checking out this morning I did find out that they charge extra for Greek yogurt at breakfast, a staple at all other hotels. While it only amount to about an additional 2 euro charge, I was mostly annoyed that this wasn't made clear up front.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Argyriou, Owner at Hotel Sonia, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you very much Ms Megan for your kindly reply,also we are sorry for the misunderstanding but we explain to all the people the extra costs!!
Now we would like to inform you that we have 13 newly renovated rooms and we put pricelists with all the costs in the rooms and we are looking forward to see you next time in our Hotel.

Kind regards

#19 of 48 in Kos Town
Alice Springs Hotel
Alice Springs Hotel
#1 of 48 in Kos Town

Been to Hotel Sonia? Share your experiences!