“Great place, but”
Review of Hotel Sonia

Hotel Sonia
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Kos Town
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Hotel Sonia is in a great position just one street back from the port. Its also had a renovation which now means rooms are en suite. I found the beds to be particularly comfy which is important to me. As its in a town there are noisy motorbikes passing the hotel, however the rooms now have double glazed doors to the balcony so this noise is reduced. If you go be aware that rooms 1, 2 and 10 are very close to the breakfast area. In this area there are cast iron table's and chairs on top of tiled floors. From early in the morning these tables and chairs are moved around and the scraping noise is quite loud. Apart from that the owner is very welcoming and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank chris l

Reviewed June 7, 2012

We had 2 short stays (at the beginning of a trip and at the end) our first experience was wonderfully warm and we were made to feel at home. On our return we were greeted as old friends. The rooms are bright and clean, the location was central and the breakfast was good. What more could one ask for.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ian W
Reviewed June 6, 2012

The first time I have stayed at Hotel Sonia (formerly Pension Alexis) was in 2009. Since I have to pass through Kos often, I have stayed very frequently since then, never feeling any need to look for a different hotel.

The initial attractions were its location (very central, but in a quiet residential area), its great prices (in its older incarnation as Pension Alexis, it was more of a budget hotel and was recognised as such by the usual guidebooks) and, as it turned out, the excellent and friendly service.

Sonia and her sons have never failed to make me as welcome as possible, helping me with local arrangements, dropping me to or from the ferryport, providing all kinds of information (car hire, restaurants, excursions), and most importantly, making me feel that I was staying with friends. The constant stream of happy repeat visitors clearly shows that every guest receives that treatment.

The ambitious and carefully planned program of renovations and upgrades begun by Sonia and her family in 2011 is turning the hotel into a true gem and a rare thing: a professionally run and maintained family hotel. The newly furbished rooms are beautiful, cosy, bright and clean, have excellent bathrooms and, of course, free Wi-Fi. The room rates remain excellent value - I doubt that anywhere in the island comes even close to it in terms of the price to quality ratio. As a regular, I really look forward to seeing what changes and improvements are still awaiting us.

Most importantly, the hotel's small size and its owners' hands-on approach to hospitality have preserved the friendly and easy-going atmosphere and the sense of personal attention that make Hotel Sonia so special. The serene and familiar atmosphere and the joyful friendliness of the place make it a perfect choice, whether you are staying in Kos just for a night or two, or for a longer period.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the old harbour...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We very much enjoyed the convenient location of this hotel, Sonia and her son were very helpful, Sonia imparts her knowledge of Kos easily and efficiently, so although the local information centre was mostly shut when we were on Kos, we were able to obtain all infowe required from Sonia.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have just stayed in May 2012 at Hotel Sonya. I would like to highlight what helpful Sonia and her sons have been. They helped us with the Ferry tickets and the rental car. Our room was completely renovated and spotless.Undoubtedly Hotel Sonia is the best value for money.

My Clue: Room 4...is the best¡ ( a nice balcony with good views across the Roman Bath and the Harbour ).

Room Tip: Room 4 is the best ( with a nice balcony and views across the Roman Bath and the Harbour )
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ElviraAlonso1978
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I stayed here in May 2012. I was staying in Turkey, but fancied getting away from the hustle and bustle of Gumbet. When you get off the ferry and walk into Kos town the lush greenery and more laid back lifestyle certainly hits you. It took me 5 minutes toi find the hotel once I had the usual nose around to get my bearings. I was greeted warmly by Afedoulis and was offered the choice of 3 rooms. I chose Room 6 at the back of the hotel, nice and airy with a balconly that runs the length of the building, lush green leaves sprawl outside and a fresh breeze as I sit on the balcony and relax. I wanted some food and Sonia the owner was more than keen to direct me to some good eateries. Room was very quiet at night as it is away from the hustle and bustle. The breakfast in the morning was just enough and delicious. The owners really couldnt enough for me. A complete change to my experience in Gumbet.

Room Tip: Book early or you wont get one !!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Sonia and her family made us extremely welcome. Everything was easy. Email booking, arrival, breakfast and about as much info as you need, Sonia has it all. The room had a good view across the Roman bath remains to the harbour and was clean. The bathroom was perfect too. Her food recommendations were excellent too. I would certaily head back and stay again should I be in Kos as this was a stress free start to a great family holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms looked very nice but the balcony made for a great view
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family