“A fabulous day.”

38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“A fabulous day.”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I found this cruise on Trip Advisor and the reviews made me look up George when I was in Kos. It was early June and still quiet on the tourist front. I found the M V Katerina on the harbour and saw a man on the boat. I asked if he was George and he said he was. I was invited on board and shown around his beautiful boat, then he showed me photos from previous trips. I was already determined to do the trip and said I would book. As I stated it was still quiet on the tourist front so sailings are not everyday. Also due to the Greek economy and his popularity due to Trip Advisor the price has increased to 30E. I rocked up on the day of my trip and managed to get a seat near the bow, it was packed. What a fabulous day. First stop was Pserimo, you could smell the wild herbs before you got close to the island. The Greek flag is painted on the barren hillsides it is that close to Turkey. We pulled up to a fish farm to see the WILD DOLPHINS that swim around the pens. I know some people say fish farms are detrimental to the environment but go and watch this small pod of Dolphins and ask them. On to Pserimo Harbour for a swim followed by lunch on board. Beautiful little Harbour Town with a few Tavernas. I just had a frappe in one of these and watched an old man wander up and down selling dried wild herbs cultivated from the hillsides, I bought some Oregano that made my suitcase smell wonderful for the rest of my trip. There was an old sponge fisherman selling sponges, he had a huge sponge that he wore as a hat for people to take photos. Sadly a lot of people took his photo but few rarely bought so I bought one. It is lovely. After a lovely souvlakia and salad lunch it was onto Kalymnos. This is a larger town and I asked if I could stay on board. No problems, I was then privileged to watch a private blessing of the boat from the Papas. I took no photo as this was religious and private. Onto Plati for a swim. Lovely tiny island, we anchored in a picturesque bay with a small Monastery. The weather was warm and clear. The boatmen caught an octopus and then released it. Then it was time for home. We had a wedding party onboard, they gave them sparkling wine which the bridal couple shared with all onboard. Everyone was invited up to steer the ship, not as easy as it looked. As I was travelling on my own I didn't get a photo, though if If I had thought quicker I could have given some-one my camera. I was just enjoying myself too much to think. There were fun and games and as most of us were adults we had a Titanic photo session. Although we were one of the earliest out of Kos we were definitely the last ones back. I have to say it was one of the best day boat trips I have ever done. Thanks to George, his family and his hilarious crewman( I've forgotten his name).

Visited June 2012

• Turkish first
Hampshire
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Perfect day and the highlight of our holiday!!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We did our homework before we left (on Tripadvisor) and found the Katerina to be our best option, we hired a car and drove to Kos town to look around the port for the Katerina, we walked around the port being hassled by all the touts trying to sell the cruises (and ignoring them all) when we saw the Katerina the crew George and Kostas were on board chilling and not trying to sell their cruise (they certainly do not need to) we said Hi and they invitied us on board to look around, they were fun, friendly and explained what to expect. We paid a deposit and booked for the following day. There were 5 of us and we paid 30 Euro each (I think its slightly more expensive in high season) On arrival we were given the top sun deck at the back of the boat which was amazing! Loads of room (talk about 1st class!!) We watched other crew from other boats trying to sell more tickets to their already overcrowded boats while the wonderful crew on the Katerina explained they do not ever pack the boat to capacity! Their aim is to make you have a wonderful day and tell people about it! They do not need to sell this, its sells itself! We went to 3 beautiful islands, one of which had a blue lagoon and we spent time jumping off the boat into the crystal clear blue sea, swimming and snorkelling, then back on board for a wonderful BBQ, then off to another couple of remote islands for some shopping, a drink in the bars or a swim in the sea! Oh yes!! We saw dolphins!!! Lots of them! I cannot stress enough that if you are thinking of doing a cruise, find the Katerina!! You will be sooo glad you did. It was the highlight of our holiday! PS take lots of suncream!!

1 Thank Jax69
wales
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“So good we did it twice”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

we had read so many good reviews on trip advisor we just had to find out for ourselves.
All I can say is the reviews don't do the trip Justice.

George, his family and crew member/ helper constantly go out of their way to make sure you have the best day out ever, as my title says we did this trip twice in one holiday. We did it the first week we were there then gave our boys a choice of trips to do the second week, they turned those down and asked to go on the Katerina again. Who can argue with an 11 and 8 year old.

Because we had, had such a good day the first time we went, my partner and i were worried it wouldn't be as good. (been there, done that)
How naive were we? On our 1st trip we saw the dolphins on the way back to Kos. On the 2nd trip, George Had to go 1 better and made sure we saw them going out and coming back. just a shame we missed the Turtles, maybe next time.

During the trip George will get all the kids onboard to steer the boat, and a lot of the adults too.

One of the things we liked about this trip is that there were only about 30 people on board, as opposed to other boats we saw that had a 100 plus. This made the experience more enjoyable (more room to move about).

I'm not going to go into too many details of what happens on board because it might spoil it. All i will say is FUN is the main ingredient.

Enjoy it, we did (twice)

Lancaster, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Simply PERFECT!!!”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Dont bother to look anywhere else, and DONT book via your agent or tour rep. SImply go and speak to Giorgos (capten). While the rest were asking us for deposit to book a place for the next day, Giorgos was honest enough to let us know that the weather forecast for the folliwng two days was not ideal for the cruise and that we should leave it until the next week!!! and he was soooo right! This trip was possibly one of the highlights of our trip.

Doncaster
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We chose the Katerina after seeing reviews on here and were not disappointed.

The day we had booked on, the weather was incredibly windy, and instead of making us go on the boat George told us to come back another day as we would enjoy it much more on a calmer day, I was so glad he did! Unfortunately when we were out at sea the weather got rather chilly and cloudy, but miraculously when we stopped for lunch and snorkelling the sky cleared and it was glorious!

The islands the we visited didn't seem to have much going on and were a little dull to be honest, but we had fun on the boat! Lunch was lovely, pork souvlaki with rice and greek salad, fresh bread and tzatziki YUM! The place where we went snorkelling was beautiful. We dressed as pirates and danced the greek dance!

Overall would definitely recommend the Katerina if you fancy a boat trip!

Visited May 2012