“Loads of Character”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunadry
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Loads of Character”
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Just have spent 2 days at the dunadry with my husband. It was fantastic even though it had been a number of years from we had been there and it was as if time had stool still but that was a good thing. Its lovely to see a hotel that has character in this day 'n age as we are surrounded with modern accommodation. The staff were excellent in the reception, bar, restaurant and country club. We had an evening meal included in our package and it was fantastic. Room was very spacious and very comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to families and couples. It is so relaxing a great place to chill out.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Northern Ireland
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I booked one night at this hotel for a very good rate. Now I really believe that if it sounds too good to be true then it is.
We arrived at the hotel and there was a wedding on. The entrance is lovely and I was so excited to stay there. The reception staff were extremely welcoming and friendly but that's where the good experience stopped.
We got to our room and I was shocked. It was the most hideous room I have ever been offered at a hotel, and certainly not at any four star accommodation. I really wish I had taken a photo to give the full impact. It was large but the carpets were stained, the bed clothes ripped, the lampshade was hanging off. I actually described it as how my grandmothers bedroom would have looked if it hadn't been decorated in 50 years but that is an insult to her because it was too horrific! I sat on the bed and burst into tears because I was so disappointed.
The maids were cleaning next door so I asked them if all the rooms were like this and she said no. Some had been modernised but were probably given to the wedding party instead. I later saw one of those rooms and it was still just ok. Completely not 4 star standards!
I complained and we were offered another room which was better , smaller but the decor was still dated and the furniture from the 70s. Although the bathroom was a lot more comfortable. The manager was excellent, he knew how bad the rooms are and apologised. Apparently, the owners won't do anything about it. He halved our rate as an incentive to stay. (I was all for leaving the hotel and going home) The reason we pay for a hotel weekend getaway is to stay somewhere nicer than our own home and in this case I should have stayed home.
The room change and discount salvaged it somewhat. The spa is just ok and you have to walk to another building to use it which is strange.
We ate in the bistro that night and the service was terrible. The food was average but I did have to ask if we could order after sitting at our table for 30 minutes. At the end, I had to remind them 3 times about my coffee and waited another 20 minutes.
The only plus was the manager was very good at dealing with our complaint and we did have a good night sleep. The wedding party was in the other end of the hotel so didn't disturb us...granted they had nicer rooms though!
I think this hotel should be rated again as it is definitely NOT a four star hotel and having stayed in one the weekend before...the difference was from day to night.
I have never posted a bad review about a hotel before and I don't have unrealistic expectations but this was just so bad that I had to vent.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ihatebirds

Travelers are raving about these Dunadry hotels

codown
Reviewed April 12, 2010

This hotel was a nice place to stay very nice garden area where you can sit and have a glass of something,staff friendly and helpful food good the room we stayed in was bright and airy number 245 but did need some work done eg painted .I would stay here again no problem

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Wales
Reviewed February 18, 2010

This was a business trip combined with leisure with the family. Nice, very large clean rooms and as requested on booking with an interlinking door. Friendly and helpful staff who seemed to be genuine in their interest. The pool was good and pleasantly warm. THe food in the restaurant was reasonably priced and of good, if not excellent quality.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Just returned from a weekend 'Supervalu Break' at the Dunadry Inn with my husband. This included 2 nights B&B and an evening meal. We were disappointed when we entered our room to discover it was very dated. Looked like it was last decorated in the 80's, although it was well equipped and had a large flat screen TV mounted on the wall. We did notice that the rooms along the corridor of the main building had been recently renovated and looked very tasteful.

We ate in the bistro on our first night and we were delighted with the meal and service. Our second night was our inclusive meal. This was from a special menu for residents. It had a good selection of dishes for each course, and again the meal was one of the best we have ever experienced.

We used the leisure facilities on both days. It includes a well equipped gym, warm pool, jacuzzi and steam room.

We would definately return to the Dunadry in the future, but maybe request a refurbished room.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed December 17, 2009

We stayed in the Dunadry with our children a few weeks ago. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were overwhelmed by the friendly attentive staff and 'can do' attitude. The rooms and public areas were superb and the food delicious. The staff were especially nice to the children which my husband and I really appreciated.
The hotel was busy with alot of what appeared to be local customers- always a good sign. We would certainly recommend the Dunadry as a place to stay when visiting Belfast.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
dublin
Reviewed November 8, 2009

This was our 2nd visit to this hotel in the past 12 months, First visit was last March, loved the place and promised ourselves we would go back, what a disappointment..
Staff were not overly friendly except in the bar. had to wait 70 minutes in the restaurant on Sunday night for our main course. When i complained to the Manager on duty, I was informed he was very sory but they were very busy. Yet the peole at the table beside us had their entire meal while we waited (their daughter was working there we found out).

When checking out the following day, we again complained about the service in the restaurant, and again were fobbed off with it should not hae been that buys, very sorry. We were paying guests and would have expected more. It looked at if they had cut back on staff and the service looked it.

Will not be going back and will not be recommending the hotel to friends.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunadry
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club
#2 of 2 in Templepatrick
Dunsilly Hotel
Dunsilly Hotel
#1 of 3 in Antrim

Been to Dunadry Hotel? Share your experiences!