“Lovely place but overwhelmed by weddings and coach parties.”
Review of Dunadry Hotel

Dunadry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunadry
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely place but overwhelmed by weddings and coach parties.”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights from Thursday to Sunday having chosen it as we had previously attended weddings here.

When we arrived they were awaiting the first wedding of the weekend. Being disabled I found that the distance to the room was far enough and the 2 fire doors we passed through meant that we didn't hear anything from the weddings at all which was a pleasant surprise.

The room was spacious and well appointed but over warm even without the heating on. The beds were a good size but very firm, as were the pillows and duvet. We had asked to avoid feather bedding due to asthma so this may not be representative of the hotel in general.

Party due to the distance to the Bistro we decided to have breakfast in our room as there was a good table and chairs provided. There is a little sheet to complete to request everything you want for breakfast which you hang on the outside of the door before 2am and this system worked well. The times were listed in 15 minute choices but these seem hard to adhere to especially when there are coach parties taking breakfast. The chaps who brought us our trays each morning were charming as were the variations on what we had ordered!

On our return from a day out, two nights running, after struggling through the wedding parties and guests we found that the key cards didn't work. My elderly mother then had to go back to Reception to have them reprogrammed. The first night this was done with no comment at all and on the second there was an apology and she was told that it must have been kept near a mobile phone. As an experienced traveller I had been careful to keep the cards aware from all electronic devices and suspect from the state of the key cards that they are probably a little on the elderly side themselves!

I was surprised to find most skirting boards were quite dusty as were the less visible surfaces - window sill and bars between chair legs. Again this is something that I begin to look for when I find my asthma is playing up. Other guests may not notice - unless they see where my finger ran over them to check!

There are only 3 disabled parking bays which are quickly taken up when the wedding guests cars fill the car park. The walk from the far car park is quite long as only I could drive the hire car I couldn't be dropped by the door.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay but as others have said it is a little tired.... as were the staff! Three weddings in three days must put a strain on all involved especially with coach parties also booked and perhaps the ordinary guests suffer a little as a result. We did point out these issues at Reception when we checked out and are content that they will be addressed.

We would happily stay here again and at least we learned that it is possible to butter toast with a spoon handle!

Room Tip: If you have even slight mobility issues ask for a ground floor room as there is no lift and the stai...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank alisongs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed for an overnight with husband at end of feb. was for valentines pressie to us. When we arrived we were told we could eat at anytime, which suited us lovely. Hotel was very quiet, and the open fire at the bar was just lovely. Our room was clean enough but basic. Bathroom could have done with extra time spent around taps and towel rail. We went down to eat in the restaurant and have to mention staff where lovely and friendly. Food was beautiful and hubby said it was the nicest steak he has ever eaten. Very impressed by our meal! We were served by a girl from Philippines or somewhere like that. She was excellent at her job, so pleasant and nothing was too much trouble.

We then went and got drinks at the bar and the lady serving was so friendly, she took our drinks down to the views of the garden which we enjoyed. Just so peaceful. Breakfast next morning was just as lovely as night before and cannot be faulted at all.

We visited the spa area and this really let the hotel down. Needs closed as takes the look away from the hotel. Just looks like a flashback to the 1970s. We decided not to use it.

Grounds are beautiful around the hotel.

I think the hotel really needs to look at the smaller things, The luxury s that we all expect even if not paying very much for the room. I also think that the beautiful entrance hall needed to be pristine, which it was not. This hotel could be amazing but think that some of the staff are too laid back, although pleasant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank weemocky
hgibson, Head of Sales & Revenue at Dunadry Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear weemocky,
Thank you for your very complimentary comments regarding your stay at the Dunadry Hotel. The food, as you say, is excellent. Beef is locally sourced and supplied by the same butcher for many years and of course, its cooked to perfection.
We hope we can welcome you back to enjoy another tranquil break in the Autumn. Make sure you check the hotel website for special offers.

All the best,

Helen
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

On 28th April my partner and I went to the Dunadry carvery. When we arrived we were not welcomed properly and were left to loiter around the bar waiting for assistance. We were passed back and forwards between various members of staff at the bar before another member of staff was finally asked, in a frustrated tone, to take ‘these people’ (us) to a table. We felt as though we were an inconvenience.

We overlooked the uncomfortable start and decided to have our starter. Unfortunately there were no bread rolls left!

The experience of our main course was not much better. The lady serving potatoes and vegetables was very unwelcoming and gave up on using the designated serving spoons and literally threw all of the food on to our plates with the same spoon! I asked for some cranberry sauce as there was none left. She moodily walked off to the kitchen and returned with a full dish. She then set it on the ‘children’s table’ without acknowledging me. This was very unpleasant.

As we ate our main course staff were more focused on clearing up than providing a good dining experience e.g. the table number card was taken away and placed on the table next to us long before the finish time. It felt as though the dining experience was over before it had actually begun!

The final issue came when we tried to have tea and coffee and all of the cups had been taken away!

We enjoyed the food but felt that the poor service and unwelcoming atmosphere ruined the experience completely. The staff had no love of what they were doing and it showed. Perhaps good service and manners are saved for people who have spent thousands of pounds on a wedding? It was definitely not the kind of dining experience that we are used to and definitely not what we expected from Dunadry.

I emailed the hotel and still have not had a response from them. Disgraceful!

We won't be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ilovefood848
Hello Ilovefood848 , first of all, can I apologise that no one has responded to your email and I fully understand why you would be cross.
I'm very sad to read your Trip Advisor review of your meal at the Dunadry - it's certainly not typical and I am very sorry. All staff are currently going through World Host Trainnig to ensure that service is of the highest standard and I am confident that your experience won't be repeated. I am very sorry to read that the Hotel has lost your custom and I hope you will reconsider.
Helen Gibson

Travelers are raving about these Dunadry hotels

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Checked in with 54 others for an overnight stay on the way to Donegal. Very helpful and efficient staff had all the keys ready and handed over to myself to distribute then had a member of staff on hand to guide people to their rooms. Food at dinner was very good, lovely rooms with king size beds and very spacious. Grounds looked nice. Reception staff organised taxis for us next morning ith a smile

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was my 2nd time staying here. Have noticed that this place needs a real shake up. The girl that checked us in at reception was very unpleasant and unwelcoming.

At breakfast the waiter asked 'What table, tea or coffee?'- that was it - no welcome or never came near us again. The breakfast was cold, we were the only people eating there.

We asked for a double room which was 2 single beds pushed together, no big deal but as the hotel was nearly empty this shouldn't have happened.

I definitely wont bother staying here again. Theres much better hotels nearby

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EVE328
hgibson, Head of Sales & Revenue at Dunadry Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Eve328,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Dunadry Hotel. As you already know from my private message, we are all very shocked by your comments and on further investigation, will deal with the matters raised relating to attitude and service. The Dunadry is the only hotel in the world with a "latch" on the door, signifying the Hotel's welcome. The standard of hospitality and friendliness, I can promise you, is always much higher than you experienced, and the Management team at the Hotel are very sorry that the usual warm welcome wasn't extended to you.

Helen
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited from the hotel for a wedding last weekend. Unfortunately I missed the wedding and spent the whole weekend feeling full of cold and flu (though not full blown flu thankfully!). However, I still had an absolutely lovely stay thanks to the fantastic staff in the hotel.

Everybody my boyfriend and I encountered was absolutely lovely, chirpy and helpful. From the moment we stepped through the door and asked to borrow a pen, to the high point of being delivered a “hot toddy” complete with Lucozade, honey and lemon with cloves by the duty manager, when I was feeling my at my worst. Somebody also sent the lunch I missed at the wedding up to my room, and we also had breakfast in the room; everyone who brought anything to us was absolutely great, polite and cheerful.

It is a very impressive hotel, or rather very impressive staff who can turn a weekend at hotel with flu into a positive experience! So thank you very much!

I also found the room to be very comfortable, well appointed and in lovely peaceful surrounding. I would like to return to visit the spa and have the facial I missed because of all the sneezing!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kate D
Scotland
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I think I had the same room as a recent reviewer and I see that a management representative is talking about ongoing refurb work. This room was out of date 30 years ago !

The photographs will testify to the above.

The plus notes and yes there are some ; the staff are great and the food in the restaurant is fulsome and tasty ( albeit with copious quantities of champ ).
Bizarrely, the loud musak in the restaurant is mind numbing and repetitive. Nothing would be better than the incessant Richard Clayderman tosh that is on offer EVERY night !

Strange stay full of opposites.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Alfanumeric
hgibson, Head of Sales & Revenue at Dunadry Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Alphanumeric
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Dunadry and thank you for you comments about food and service.
We have an ongoing refurbishment programme which is addressing all the issues you have raised about your room and this will be completed by the end of the Summer.
The Hotel is a charming country house hotel featuring magnificent local art and hand selected antiques, set in 5 acres of gardens at a riverside. Anyone looking to spend a relaxing few days enjoying good food will love it.

Helen Gibson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunadry
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club
Dunsilly Hotel
Dunsilly Hotel
#1 of 3 in Antrim
Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1

Been to Dunadry Hotel? Share your experiences!