“Very special”

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Very special”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

On the last day of our Canada trip we discovered the sign 'Museum town' and decided to have a look. It was very special to see an abandoned town so good taken care of. The main street, school, church, railway station and everything looked very identical. It must have been a lonely life out on the prairie when the train rolled there and people lived in the few houses in the town.

Visited September 2012
4 Thank Øystein E

Napanee, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“You ain't lost...You're in Rowley!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I accidently ended up in Rowley on my way from Drumheller back to Calgary (I refuse to get a GPS)
It happened to be one sunny Saturday afternoon in April, 2012. When I saw the grain elevators at the end of a dirt road I thought - there must be a gas station and they can tell me how to get back to the City. Once I passed the old train station and hit main street I actually thought I had stumbled onto a western movie set. I seemed to be the only car in town.

After parking and walking into Sam's Saloon I was greeted by a friendly face in a 10 gallon hat - I think his name was Leroy....but if not...he looked liked a Leroy. I told him I thought I was lost and he replied..."You ain't lost - you're in Rowley" as if I was meant to be here. He told me to sit down and handed me a piece of paper and pencil....I was about to asked what for when he said.."It's pizza night...fill out what you want" and he then got me a beer.

Well being the lone occupant of what seemed like a cross between a stable and bar went from a quiet chat and roaming eye to take in all the memories hung on the wall to the busiest little place in all of rural Alberta. The place was packed by 6:00pm with cowboys, farmers, city folk and just about everyone in between. Pizza was terrific and I got a whole one with all my favourites for $10. It was hard to tear my self away from the live entertainer on the keyboards and the wonderful conversations but I had to get back to Calgary for work. (One visitor actually loved Rowley so much he sent a popcorn maker back on a train for the residents years ago - someone showed me it at the bar)

If I ever get back to Alberta again Rowley will definitely be on my list of top places to go. What a great little town with amazingly friendly residents who hold fast at keeping their piece of the pie alive!
Recommend to all my travelling friends and those looking for the best little town in the west!

Visited April 2012
4 Thank PJ D
Sundre, Canada
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“The best little town I never knew existed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were in Rowley for a fall wedding and what a great location! Beautiful wooden boardwalks, the old abandoned train tracks, and don't forget the Saloon! There is even a playground for the kids to burn off some steam.
I had never heard of Rowley before we received our invitation, but I'm sure glad we went to check it out! Its a great little place, off the beaten path. And the family friendly Saloon, complete with swinging front doors and sawdust on the floors was straight out of the Old West!

Visited September 2012

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Scary and Very Nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2007

Rowley is near Trochu, on Road 839, close to Morrin Village.

It's a Ghost Town, meaning that nobody lives there anymore, but is maintained so that people can still visit it. It's in the middle of the prairies, which make the thing exciting, as you can only see prairies, and all of a sudden, you have a village in the middle of nowhere! And then, it's prairies time again!

You can see a saloon, a bank, and a lot of things that made an old far west city lived in the past.

There are some producers that come here to make far west movies sometimes.

You can plan to spend 1 hour in that quiet town, which will be very enjoyable.

8 Thank Steff68