“Best place to detox in beautiful surroundings”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maria Worth
VIVA-Das Zentrum fur Moderne Mayr Medizin
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Maria Worth
London
“Best place to detox in beautiful surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Once you have been you come back again. After last year my body told me it was to time for a MOT. This year chose to come in April . The nature has been breath taking with lovely walks in the woods, swimming in the lake (12C) and enjoying the peace and quit. As usual this is the only place that gives you the results you are looking for in a sensible way. If you choose to do nothing you can: I am sure you will still achieve what you have come for. After one week Viva help me to destress, revitalise, loose weight and mostly made me realise that there is more to life than what we think. Food is excellent, tasty,well presented. Emanuela the chef is vey creative. The staff smiley, professional, cant do enough. Treatments reasonable and effective. Only negative toilet papers are eco friendly so bring your baby wipes.

Room Tip: Lake view definitely.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Margeritta

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Experience the beauty inside and out at Viva Mayr. The treatment menu is extensive and comprehensive, offering tailored treatments and diets to allow for a return to health, or a boost to your vitality for the already-healthy. The staff are incredibly friendly and a joy to be around, the food is fresh, delicious - albeit smaller portions for the cleansing effect. The mountain/lake view from my room ensured every day was a sheer joy to behold, with the mountain air cascading through the french windows. Treatment plans are impeccable and include diet, exercise, massage, light therapy, colonics, and so much more. I enjoyed the aqua bike, and plate one was a great experience - both of which I would like to repeat! The synergy of offerings ensure this is an experience you will want to repeat. My cleanse was deep, and I have kept the routine since returning home, including the Viva Mayr diet. I fell in love with Austria on this trip!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the lake view...it is food for the soul!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Sarahelianarose
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

It is the best place for loosing weight any kind of cure. Went for 10 days need min 12 days if you need full results. Friendly professional staff. Takes time to adjust. Be aware there is no air con as it is Eco friendly place. Nice view and surroundings. I was there when it was very hot so lake was good to swim at.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Margeritta
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

This is a top hotel for making a cure. The staff is very professional and friendly. The wholesomely cooked food taste very good. The panoramic view on the lake helps to loose weight ;-)
The other guests are very quit and on highest stage. Many people from business,some arabic sheiks etc.
I will come again next year - my body will thanks me for that.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank charles_michael
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

A previous reviewer has already provided much detail, so I will do little more than add my own grading.

For those who are serious about their health, have weight, stress or other issues, I cannot imagine a more suitable and effective destination.

The length of "cure" will vary between individuals, although 3 weeks is about average for a full course.

Having never been there before I opted for 10 days and the results have exceeded my expectations.

This is not a "health spa" in the nature of a "Champney's". It is a serious hotel-cum-clinic, operated by doctors with a dedicated and holistic approach, providing an opportunity to improve your health and appearance, both internally and externally.

The property sits in a delightful setting and has a multitude of modern facilities and equipment. I found the accommodation spacious and comfortable, although even as a single guest I would have preferred the extra luxury and comfort of a double bed, which I am spoilt with at home! Next time I will request it.

I highly recommend the Viva.

• Liked — It was the treatment that mattered.
  • Disliked — A single bed.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank sold
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2007

I'd been meaning to go to a health spa for a while but wanted to go somewhere outside of the UK - and also to a place where I would be guaranteed to lose weight. I did a quick search on the internet and came up with this place, the Viva-Mayr Health spa in Maria Worth, Southern Austria....and, although it was expensive, I'm glad I went!

I booked my flight with Ryanair to Klagenfurt which is one of the largest towns in Carinthia. I kind of wished that i'd left the flight booking until the last minute because the flights were cheaper but such is life.

The spa had arranged for a taxi to meet me at the airport and there it was. Through pouring rain, we drove through Klagenfurt, round Lake Worthsee and eventually arrived at Maria Worth, a very pretty village with a beautiful mediaeval church and pretty chalets all around. I think next time I go, I'll hire a car because the driving's not exactly difficult and it's very easy to find the spa. It also means you can get out and about more frequently.

The spa itself is large and modern but not unattractive - god knows how they managed to get planning permission though right by the lake because the rest of the buildings are all very traditional.

Walking into the reception, you could have heard a pin drop and the receptionist, who was working on her own, seemed a little stressed. I was quickly shown up to my room and that was it! However, several days later I saw other residents being shown around in great detail which I guessed was the norm for new arrivals.

My room was pleasant enough, a single, very clean, nice bathroom with shower (some singles have baths), satellite TV with 4 English channels (the usual BBC24, Film Premiere, MGM film channel and CNN). Bottles of water were in the room plus hot water bottle (not needed), fluffy towels, a safe and extra blanket. The single bed was most definitely a single, quite narrow, but comfy enough. And the room had a small balcony. overlooking trees, chalets and a bit of the lake. My room was at the side of the hotel which was a shame because I'd requested a room with a lake view but I later discovered that in order to get one of these, you have to book way in advance. Maybe next time.....

That night I was able to have a full meal (well, full in spa terms) but things were to change on the Monday morning!

The spa has several floors: the restaurant, reception, lounge, meeting room, indoor pool on the ground floor. The spa section with medical reception, doctors' offices, gym, sauna/steam room etc on 1st floor and then all the bedrooms on the floors above this.

First thing on Monday, after a chat with a very nice doctor about what I wanted to achieve (weight loss), I went down to breakfast where I was put on Diet Plan 1.

THE FOOD: Bit confusing this but you soon get the hang of it! Basically I could have sheep's yoghurt (actually very nice) and spelt bread for breakfast (the bread's OK, stick with it!), a vegetable soup and spelt bread for lunch and then a very light broth and spelt bread for dinner. I stuck with this for about 4 days and didn't get hungry but did get bored so I was then allowed supplements: you can choose from ham, turkey, cheeses - but all in small portions. You're encouraged to chew everything for ages so that you digest it properly and you also mustn't drink during the meals. However, the following week I was put on Diet Plan 2 where I was able to eat more substantial foods - I changed from the spelt bread to the rice crackers (wish I hadn't!), a very tasty lunch (normally vegetarian) and then back to supplements and bread in the evening. They tend to give you less at night, again for digestion. Every evening you collect a glass of water with diluted epsom salts and drink it first thing in the morning, with obvious results!

THE RESTAURANT: The restaurant was large and clean with very friendly but firm waitresses. You weren't allowed to cheat and they made sure you didn't. On warm days, you could sit outside on the terrace overlooking the beautifully kept gardens which swept down to the lake. The view from the restaurant across the lake was outstanding! On each table, a card was placed which had all your dietary requirements written on it. You also placed all your pills and potions on your specific table (the doctor will have told you what pills you need and they're stuck on your bill at the end of your stay - be aware that this can add up!) If you're on your own, you may have to share a table with someone else. I managed eventually to get a table on my own but for the first 4 days, had to share with other people. I'm not anti-social but just like my own space sometimes!

TREATMENTS: Throughout the day, mainly in the morning, you'd get treatments which the doctor had suggested: I had a blood test (the usual, cholesterol etc), abdominal massages from the doctor, various de-toxing treatments, daily massages, food allergy testing (not so sure about this one, seemed a bit flimsy new age for me) - and then you could also book beauty treatments in the excellent beauty area.

There's plenty to do and you won't get bored:

SWIMMING: If the weather's hot, then you could swim in the fresh water lake. Lake Worthsee is apparently of drinkable quality and every day, I was swimming at least 6 times, sometimes as early as 6.30 in the morning. Although it initially appears cold, it soon warms up although I suspect in January, it might be a different matter! There are plenty of comfortable long chairs lying around and towels are in plentiful supply both in the indoor pool and by the lakeside sauna. Two jetties stretch out across the lake and it's easy to climb down the steps into the water. If the weather's cold or you don't fancy a cold lake, then the indoor pool is very pretty and quite large with spa jets on the side for underwater massage. Upstairs from the pool is the sauna/steam etc area - very pleasant and large rooms. Drinking water is everywhere and is free.

READING: You can order English newspapers (which arrive a day after publication) and there's always an English newspaper lying around in the lounge, although occasionally this was nicked. I couldn't really understand why those people who'd ordered papers weren't generous enough to leave them in the lounge once they'd finished with them but I guess we're not all perfect! There's also a small book section beneath the newspapers in the lounge where you can 'recycle' books that other clients have left behind. There's also an area here which has a variety of herbal teas which you can help yourself to. And mid-morning if you get a bit peckish, there's a veg 'consomme' soup that you can also have.

GYM: Again the gym is very well equipped, good running machines, weights, cross country walking machines and loads of water.. The gym overlooks the lake so there's something to look at. You can also do the equivalent of Power Plate which is called Gallileo although this is under instruction and will cost you extra.

THINGS TO DO:
The church in Maria Worth is very pretty and worth a visit. There's a couple of shops, one with Austria knick knacks, the other with postcards, touristy stuff and, horrror of horrors, sweets and alcohol. There's a few restaurants around and I admit I did cheat once but the food was dreadful so served me right! I only tried one though (in the central square area) so maybe the others were better.

You can also borrow bikes from the hotel and cycle around which is quite pleasant. Most of the time, the roads around the lake are flat with the occasional hill - although, because you're not eating much, you may well get more tired than usual. Some people were keen walkers and were happy to traipse up the forested hills round the back of the hotel - it wasn't for me (I'm allergic to hills) but they came back raving about the walk.

Lake Trips - this was really quite enjoyable. You tend to get a bit institutionalised in the spa and after 3 days, I was desperate for a bit of adventure. Just down from the lake is a ferry area, where the boats leave for Klagenfurt at one end and Veldon at the other - approximate price is 10 euros for a round trip. If you catch the boat to Klagenfurt, then simply walk up from the ferry and then turn right and catch the number 2 (I think) bus into the centre of Klagenfurt which is very pretty and has loads of shops. Veldon is also worth visiting (as are some of the other stops on the lake). Be aware that in the height of the season, there's a bit of a fight to get on the boat in order to get the top deck seats (usually the OAP's win!). You buy your ticket before you get on the boat and you can also buy refreshments on board - but of course, if you're being good, you'll just buy water! (although you can have apple strudel, ice cream etc etc etc!)

That's about it except to say that in 2 weeks, I lost just under a stone. I've put on 3 lbs since then but not bad going. Mind you, you don't eat much so it's not really a surprise but you do feel good and most people said I was glowing when I got back.

Pros: Lake, views, cleanliness, gardens, staff (apart from slightly moody receptionist), efficiency from everyone - no mistakes were made at all, ducks and wildlife - most amusing watching them and a duckling even bit my toe (I reckon he was staying at the duck spa and was desperate for something to eat!)Cons: back room without a lake view and the occasional early morning delivery, having to share a table with another guest, expensive, hardly any classes during the day (apart from one first thing in the morning and the occasional one early afternoon)

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Having to share a table with someone else
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
44 Thank chaucer1
Schloss Seefels Hotel
Schloss Seefels Hotel
#1 of 13 in Portschach am Worther See
Hotel Barry Memle Lakeside Resort
Hotel Barry Memle Lakeside Resor...
#1 of 31 in Velden am Woerthersee
Werzer's Hotel Resort Portschach
Werzer's Hotel Resort Portschach
#2 of 13 in Portschach am Worther See

Been to VIVA-Das Zentrum fur Moderne Mayr Medizin? Share your experiences!