“Great place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 7 Mohill B&B and Inns
Yorkshire, England
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We have stayed here on numerous occasions and cannot fault the place or the hospitality of Marion .She has a heart as big as Glebe house itself !! I don't know where the other people that have put negative reviews on here have stayed as we have never had any problems or encountered anything like they describe. So please don't be put off , just give it a try and make your own mind up.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank ANRYorkshire_England

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Stayed here for a wedding at @ Lough rynn castle for 3 days. We arrived early after a flight from NY.Were allowed to check in early AND we were offered and accepted a delightful breakfast.Nothing was too much trouble for Marion and the delightful young girl who was helping her.Nice relaxed atmosphere in the house.All the facilities we needed for our 3 day stay met with our unreservedl approval and then some ! there were 9 of us and one couple had stayed before in 2001 We will be back for the next family occasion ,!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fordham1975
Dublin
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We only stayed for 1 nights B&B. Delighted with our stay. Lovely helpful and accomadating staff. They made us tea and sandwiches when we arrived at no extra cost. I was there with my wife and mother-in-law to attend a local wedding and we were all glowing with praise after! Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank mguine01
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We used Glebe House as a base for a wedding at nearby Lough Rynn Castle. Although the rooms are a bit basic (no iron or hairdryer) they were clean and comfy. We arrived after an early morning flight from the UK and Marion immediately made us a pot of Tea on arrival and offered to make us lunch. I can't describe how quiet the place is at night, you can hear a pin drop whilst lying in bed. A typical Family run Irish Guest House perfect for couples getting away from it all.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Superpigeon
Dublin
Reviewed July 3, 2009

My partner and I stayed for one night as we were at a family wedding in LoughRynn so needless to say we didn’t spend a lot of time here. We found Glebe house to be prefect for what we needed, which was a bed and breakfast. Best thing – late breakfast 12.30 you won't get that anywhere else. Can’t stand B&B’s with their 9.30 cut off for breckie.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tfwoods
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I don't even know where to begin to describe how awful this place is. We did arrive late but felt like we had arrived at a ghost house. The whole place was cold and unwelcoming. We were exhausted after a long drive but did not get a wink of sleep because the room was so cold and the beds so hard. This was so disappointing as we were attending a wedding the next day and needed our beauty sleep. Decor, bathrooms, public areas were all sub par.

When we went down to breakfast the next morning there wasn't a soul in the place. Eventually a lady showed up and made a mediocre breakfast. Decor, bathrooms, public areas were all sub par. We were supposed to stay for two nights but we moved straight out the next day to go to the Lough Rynn Castle. Yes, the Lough Rynn is more expensive but we couldn't face another night in Bleak House.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank Furgate
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Close friends were getting married at St. Patrick's Church in Mohill in July 2008. Given the tourist season in July, I contacted Marion Maloney of the Glebe House eleven (11) months in advance to secure booking for a large party of eleven (11) adults and one child.

My wife and I have traveled to Ireland on numerous occasions, only staying in B&Bs. In all, we have stayed in over fifteen (15) B&Bs throughout Ireland from 2006-2008.

I can honestly say that the Glebe House was the most unfriendly B&B I have ever stayed in. I was caught off guard after only positive, friendly and welcoming experiences in B&Bs in the past.

Given I had secured these accommodations so far in advance, I was not expecting any problems. However, upon arrival, Marion advised my party that the house was short one double ensuite room which forced my wife and I to stay in a room with no shower and two twin beds despite our advance booking for a double ensuite room.

My wife and I were on holiday and wanted to enjoy ourselves and simply accepted the room with the promise from Marion that we would be able to move the following evening.

From a customer service perspective, I expected Marion to take more responsibility for the individuals in her establishment. My party was providing Marion almost EUR 1,000 within a 48 hour span. At one point, I believe she went as far as saying "What can I do?" I expected a more conciliatory effort from our hostess but was not afforded that luxury.

Upon my personal checkout, I inquired if there was a price difference per person between a double ensuite room and a two (2) twin bed with no shower facilities for our first evening in which we were pushed to a room that was not the room we had booked. She said that there was not, which I was disappointed in but accepted as I did not want to cause any problems. At this point in time, my experience at the Glebe House was "sufficient." I was happy to continue our travels and be on my way.

However, Marion was not pleased with my inquiry and chose to continue our conversation further. She said "There is no price difference but I made ALLOWANCES for the phone calls you made." With such a large party, we did need to make various local phone calls to local taxis (less than 7 in total) to coordinate travel to the church and reception.

Once again, from a customer service perspective, with the amount of money that we were providing to Marion for our stay, I did not expect in the least such a curt response. In my opinion, it was a complete lack of respect and I was insulted. I laughed the comment off, signed my receipt and headed for the door.

Marion must have sensed my complete disapproval and caught me at the door, giving me EUR 20 to, as she put it, "buy yourself a coffee."

In addition to the above hassles, the house ran out of warm water one morning during our stay and two (2) guests had to shower in ice cold water. Throughout the entire weekend, during our face-to-face encounters with Marion, she was quite short and unfriendly. It was such a stark contrast to our previous, overly friendly hosts in other B&Bs around the country.

I was thoroughly disappointed with my stay. So much so, I was embarrassed for coordinating this stay with the other members of my party, which included my parents, friends and friends' parents. I was especially embarrassed as this was the one and only Ireland B&B experience for some members of our party.

Upon departure, we all agreed that while the Lough Rynn Estate would have cost us more than double per person per night, it may have been worth it to be treated in a friendly, courteous manner and not be demeaned for inquiries.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — The entire experience
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
8 Thank mfumagal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mohill
Lough Allen Hotel & Spa
Kilronan Castle Hotel & Spa
Hamill's B&B
Hamill's B&B
#1 of 5 in Ballinamore

Been to Glebe House? Share your experiences!