“Highly Recommended!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Pahalgam
barcelona
“Highly Recommended!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Awesome spot! Very friendly, helpful and attentive staff led by the owner Gulzar. I stayed for nearly 2 weeks to explore the local area, including a stunning 4 day trek to Hiurbagwan Glacier and lake all arranged through the hotel. Great hiking, delicious food and jaw-dropping scenery - thank you!

The hotel itself is clean, peaceful and comfortable with lovely gardens. The free wifi worked perfectly and the mattress was great. I'd recommend this place to anyone looking to come and trek the local area.

Room Tip: I had one in the separate detached house, no complaints at all.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hassan H, Owner at Hotel Himalaya House, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We are pleased we were able to provide you an enjoyable and memorable stay with us. It is our pleasure to be able to share the beauty of Kashmir with you. I will also share your appreciation with our guide(Ramzan) who took you on the trek. On behalf of the team at the Himalaya House, we thank you for your kind comments. We hope that after your return to your home country, you still remember your friends here at the Himalaya House!Hassan Hakeem

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

It was really great that me and my friends got a chance to Stay at Himalaya House situated on the banks of River Lidder (One of the famous river in Kashmir). Being a Kashmiri by birth what i can say is that the Staff, right from Manager to waiter proved that Kashmiri's are good hosts. I was blown away by the hospitality and helpfulness of the staff. I felt safe, comfortable & relaxed during my entire stay at the hotel. The view from the hotel was fabulous, what a garden on the banks of river Lidder. Apart from hotel, i would like to share something about the cottage with that hotel, it is well furnished with curtains of Crewel,awesome- sound of flowing water.
The best thing i enjoyed was the calmness/hush and hospitality of the staff.

Stayed from 26th August to 29th August 2013.

Best Wishes,
Adv. Mir Naveed

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms in the Cottage as the access is easy for the old people or the rooms on the fro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind feedback. What we give, we give sincerely from our hearts. Your appreciation of the team will only spur them to further better themselves. Do come back and visit us again. You are now a part of the Himalaya House family.Hassan Hakeem
New Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

A property undergoing renovation, but most of the rooms are ready. Changes have been made with a new facade and a bigger dining area (came to know after looking at older pictures by other reviewers). The overall layout of the hotel is a bit odd with a lot of steps in one block, though not a deal-breaker. The tapering roofs with the light-wood facade give it a neat & clean look. The reception area is OK with a sofa & chairs and a television. The hotel has channeled a small stream through its premises from the Lidder river and it gives a unique look with a bridge to cross over to the garden. There is also a nice viewing platform at the edge of the garden over-looking the river.

I stayed with my family and we had booked two deluxe rooms. Since some rooms were undergoing renovation, one room was upgraded by the owner/manager, so that we could be on the same floor. A nice gesture that was highly appreciated. The upgraded Super Deluxe room was significantly bigger with leather sofa chairs (cane chairs in normal Deluxe room) and a bigger bathroom with a bathtub. There is hot/cold running water, but due to renovation, only cold water was coming in one of the wash-basins, though there was hot water coming from the tap in the bathing area.

The rooms itself were neat and clean and equipped with a LCD TV (small in deluxe and bigger size in super deluxe room) with cable channels. There was even a modern-looking halogen heater in the room's almirah - it came in handy at night. In the room, the linen was fairly neat and clean and the blanket was quite warm. Both rooms had fairly smooth wooden flooring and a similar sized balcony. There were a couple of Kashmiri rugs as well.There is a provision of glass as well as mesh windows - so one can choose to take-in fresh air during day-time. The view from the balcony is nice, though one can see only a part of the river - but you can hear the flowing water all the time.

The dining area is able to accommodate about six families. The food was also quite good. The staff in general was helpful and some of the staff / cooks are Nepali. The private garden area is nice with trees, shrubs, flowers, a couple of swings and round tables with plastic chairs. The river viewing platform at the edge of the garden area is quite good, though to reach the river side one has to go out of the hotel and walk a few metres - which is recommended and totally worth it.

Room Tip: Not recommended for small children as there are a lot of steps in the second block. The block near t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to provide such a detailed feedback. We truly appreciate it and also value your understanding of the slight disruption. We are happy to report that the renovation is almost completed. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back. Our heartfelt thanks once again. Do come back soon!Hassan Hakeem
Agartala, Tripura, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We entered the Hotel at around 8.30PM. There was no food arrangement for us. Few of us slept without any food at all. All the service boys went asleep at night. There was none to start the Generator during the Power Cut. The manager doesn't receive the Phone Call at all. Accommodation and View of the Hotel is good. Rooms are clean and good looking.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Prithvi4magt
Hassan H, Owner at Hotel Himalaya House, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Please accept our sincere apologies for this oversight in our service during your stay. It coincided with the Muslim’s fasting month of Ramadan. Around the time of your arrival,t time was when goes for this oversight in our service. You stay coincided with the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan the most of the staff were breaking their fast and doing their evening prayers. However, this shouldn’t be used as an excuse as we know that we should have planned better. We will ensure that in the future the staff be more vigilant and give full attention to our guests. We thank you for your feedback as it will certainly help us improve.
Brighton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was the only hotel in Kashmir I just couldn t wait to leave.
We arrived at the Himalaya House which looked totally run down which could have been partly due to the fact that maintenance work was in progress. The entrance was dark, dingy and depressing with old shabby furniture and two glum looking youths who seemed totally disinterested in us. Eventually the manager ? was found. It was the only hotel in Kashmir where we were not offered some tea or coffee on arrival. Later I found two glasses of water had been left out for us in reception but I had no idea where the water had come from. I looked at a couple of rooms one of which was in an area where there was work going on and debris all over the place. Our eventual room was downstairs with a shared balcony. On pulling back the cover the bed smelt grim. Usually in all other hotels there was a sheet under the duvet but not here. It looked filthy. I asked for a sheet which was provided. The carpet in our room was new but the rugs on it were disgusting
No gauze over the window so there were flies in the room all the time
Breakfast was a nightmare. It took my husband nearly one hour to get what he wanted, and me 35 minutes to get a pot of hot water. The experience was like Fawlty Towers without the humour.
Both evenings the electricity was cut off. I read another report on Trip Advisor in which the owner stated power cuts were not a problem as they have a generator. This is true but the generator is not switched on. We went to ask at reception but there was no one there and it was all locked up.Even a candle would have been helpful.
The second day another stressful breakfast where everyone was trying very hard but could t understand what was on the menu.The staff were like headless chickens
We went out returning briefly in the early afternoon. Then later that evening we discovered there was no water in our room at all. By this time it was getting dark. Apparently the men working on the room had damaged the tank early in the morning but no one thought to tell us! It was suggested that we just moved to the other building but when we said we didn t want to move now it was dark, the water, albeit cold was connected after a huge amount of fuss and a hose.
That evening we asked for egg and fries to keep the whole meal simple. We were asked what time we wanted to eat then called twenty minutes early to eggs that were stone cold and looked as though they d been massacred and fries that were overcooked over salted and cold. The dining room was bleak and depressing.
Yes the gardens and the surroundings are lovely but the experience of the room and the service was simply dreadful. I cannot imagine what it s like in cold weather. It s terrible in lovely weather when you feel too stressed to enjoy the garden
I wish I d just booked into the hotel opposite when we arrived. We had a couple of lovely meals there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brightonpoppy50
I’m equally disappointed that we have failed to meet your expectations. We deeply apologize for this. Renovation works coupled with the threat of a possible flood due to the unusually heavy rain during those few days have diverted the staff’s attention. While the rainwater was contained and the flood didn’t happened, we fell short on our service. Again, we apologize and have put in place steps to ensure the staff pay more attention to these areas.
Bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Nice hotel. Service of hotel is fantastic. Yummy food. Its away from market area. Very quite and romantic place. Its a nice place in pahalgam to enjoy nature beauty. We have enjoyed view of river. Thanks for hotel staff for being so co-operative. Bathrooms were so much cleaned.rooms were also well maintained.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hassan H, Owner at Hotel Himalaya House, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy to know that you love nature and enjoyed your stay with us. I will certainly share your kind comments with the rest of the team. It was a pleasure having you and we hope that you will visit us again.
Director/Owner
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

First, I would like to share my personal experience in Kashmir during 2013 summer. I had very unpleasant experiences until I met Himalaya House staff and owners. Prior to that I was living with the local family who lied to me, took my money away and threatened me. I had to run away from them in the middle of night. After these and similar experiences I got very distrustful and fearful (I was a white girl travelling alone in India). Gulzar, the owner, Ramazan, the guide, and other staff members welcomed me to the Himalaya House with generosity and honesty and I felt like I was at home in Canada. It was really hard for me to trust anyone again at that time and Himalaya House people were truly like a family to me (many Kashmiri people call you sister or daughter but their true intentions are simply to take more money from you). The room I got had Kashmiri style interior and was very clean, the bed was extremely comfortable. there was this beautiful park outside with the view to the river. I really wanted to share this review because I know it will help people make better choices while travelling.The food, service, staff, rooms are perfect at the Himalaya House. But most importantly I I found humanity there!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Firstly, we are truly saddened to hear about your bad experience earlier. I would like to assure everyone that most Kashmiris are not like them. There are a few bad apples around, unfortunately. Thank you for giving us the chance to show you the true Kashimiri hospitality. Kashmir is our home. We would like to share the natural beauty we have been blessed with and our culture with the rest of the world. We believe it starts with genuine care for our guests and our community. It was a great pleasure to have you stay with us. You will always have a home at the Himalaya House and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Director/Owner