“It's OK for a short trip, but I wouldn't stay here again”

Hotel Fira Congress
Reviewed February 3, 2013

So this hotel was OK. It's not centrally located, but it is close to a metro stop. The rooms are decent, the selection of TV channels leave a lot to be desired. We jokingly called this the IKEA hotel because it looked like everything was from IKEA. The breakfast was the same every morning, and I stayed there for two weeks - but there was a big selection. The internet there is pretty bad, whether you bring a cable or not for the internet - but I think bringing a cable made it faster. I could Skype, but loading pages was slow or didn't really work at all. The hotel front desk wasn't very helpful - when I asked if they could change money they offered to send me to the airport on the free shuttle. Really? Shouldn't they expect international travelers? I wanted to get my laundry done on a Saturday and they told me it would be ready on Monday. I am not exaggerating when I say I could have bought all my clothes again for the cost of doing laundry and there are no prices advertised. According to another person I stayed with they said the hotel said floor 5 was the only foor they ever got compliments on - but I think it's the same as the rest of the floors.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We chose this hotel for a one-night stay because of its 24-hour shuttle service to the airport. Our flight left very early in the morning, so we needed to be at the airport by 4 a.m. Reception gave us a wake-up call, as requested, and the shuttle awaited us at the appointed time. That was about the only part of our stay that went smoothly.

The biggest problem was getting something to eat for dinner. There were no obvious restaurants in the area, so we planned to eat at the hotel. When we checked in, a woman at Reception told us the dining room was open. But when we went there, there was no sign of life anywhere. We waited and waited, to no avail. When we returned to Reception, the woman simply repeated that the restaurant was open. We then went into the bar and ordered a sandwich, which took a long time to arrive and can only be described as mediocre at best.

This hotel is minimalist modern with lots of hard surfaces and little decoration. There is no welcoming ambience whatsoever, though the staff at Reception are friendly and pleasant. Our room was laid out a bit strangely. Its door opened into the bathroom area and the bed faced us in the room beyond. We found the room to be clean and the bed comfortable. The lighting, however was beyond confusing. More than once, one of us would hit a switch that plunged the area into total darkness.

Though the hotel was perfect for reaching the airport, I doubt that it would be optimal for sightseeing in Barcelona. I always prefer being in the city center for Barcelona stays. But that is simply my personal preference.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I booked flights with Ryanair. once complete I was given a choice of hotels, I picked this one because it had a four star rating ? Far from it,I have stopped in cheaper B and Bs with better amenities, which has clean windows,clean bedroom walls,coffee making facilities witch this hotel did not.And the way everybody goes on about the mini bar, it was a small fridge with two small bottles of water used to swill our mouths after brushing our teeth.

We booked a superior room that we were given on the 8th floor to find 2 single beds, straight away we complained and asked for a room with a double,we were told no superior rooms had double beds only in standard rooms. So we downgraded.
With the price that we paid €100 per night roughly not including breakfast that was a extra €12. The only difference with the rooms was the 2 ft gap between two single beds ( oh yes singles pushed together ) so very uncomfortable, so much that I was getting up 3 or 4 times a night to straighten my back.
The hotel is situated in a industrial area with a shopping mall not far from the hotel that has some restaurants.

This is the first feedback I have written, but felt it my duty. Just wish I had read the reviews before booking this hotel.
I should of guessed something wasn't quite right when they explain in the small print, cancelations are non refundable.
If they had I would have defiantly gone somewhere else
This hotel should never have been awarded 4 stars.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

On a negative, I felt the Hotel was far less than the sum of it's parts, and this review is based on the fact that we paid well over a €hundred per night for the room.

The room was a gimicky affair with button powered room blinds and very confusing light switches. The air con didn't work well.

There was a spa centre, that had neither working steam bath or sauna in operating order - both of which would have been good as attending the nearby conference centre for a stressful 3 day event.
Ditto the Wifi was pathetic, and for business travel simply wasn't good enough. A bath instead of shower would have been nice, though shower was a walk in type.

On a positive:
bar was okay
Reception staff great, recommending restaurants and so on.
Breakfast okay
free transfer to airport by minibus

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2012

BEfore selecting this Hotel, Me and my wife went through many websites for reviews. Tripadvisor who we trust gave a many negative reviews but I took the chance and booked this Hotel.

We did our own research also which is always advisable.

ARRIVAL

The infamous Fee Shuttle, well I was dreading this and me and my wife were unable to work the phones at the airport lol luckily a man next to me was also contacting Fira and was fluent in Spainish. We were told 20 minutes and shuttle turned up in 10 minutes. Excellent.

Checking in wasnt an ordeal quick and easy and got our cards.

Room

There was a card in the room explaining the booking shuttle for trip to Espanya which was straight forward. So PEOPLE complaining of lack of information was pretty Unfair.

Many people complained abt the Beds facing the door, wasnt a big deal but have to agree the beds on wheels were annoying and two beds connected wasnt appreciated at all. The beds werent very comfortable but we got used to them eventually.

Light switches are tricky and need to get used.

We never ate in the Hotel, but beers were price reasonably so had a few beers during our stay, wasnt happy they didnt show BArcalona footie matches which was scandalous.

We had water replenished in our mini fridge on a daily basis which was nice, soft drinks mentioned never arrived.

No door on the shower was a little suprising but we are a couple so wasnt a big deal.

WiFi availability well we were in room 419, and during day it was brillant but after 6pm it really did become sluggish but usable.

Room was cleaned everyday and Towels left excellent service

SPA,Steam and Sauna were really relaxing, we went twice and was thoroughly enjoyable.
LOCATION

Alot of people complained about the location but we found it very easy to get to Metro point which was 5-7 min walk, Shopping centre had good places to have a drink and food. With trains operating so late it was very to get back to the Hotel. T10 cards were great but we realised that T50/30days card for the week would hve been a better option as we brought 4 T10 cards. SAFETY well we were wary but it was quiet around the Hotel and safe and even on the METRO after 11pm it was pretty safe no issues at all. Trains are so regular that those that complained abt distance was nonsensical as u cud get to Espanya in 8 minutes and onward trips were pretty quick.

I must say we dont speak Spainish but in BArcelona Metro workers, Police etc were always willing to try they best to help in English, extremely helpful compared to what we faced when we were in Seville.

Hotel staff were very courteous and even Shuttle driver overly helpful.

On the whole we enjoyed our stay because we were out most days, we even got to Girona and Figueru in 1 day. The beach was great fun. We would definitely stay at this hotel again if the price was right in a blink of an eye.

Room Tip: 419 right in the corner..perfect
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I used the location information posted on booking.com (I used the site to book) and found myself arriving at the road next to the hotel but with no access. The actual access point was on the next road. It was not difficult to get from A to B though so not a major issue. The hotel itself has modern design rooms, which were comfortable enough for the overnight stay. I would not want to spend a week in them though. Food is ridiculously expensive for what it is and wifi connectivity was poor (but free). So-so hotel

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Located very far away from the center (not seen on the city map), bad internet connection. Could be useful for business trips - close to the airport - but not a good option for a touristic stay in Barcelona. The breakfast is decent. The room is clean, but no door in the shower, no ventilation in the toilet and the amenities are poor for a 4-star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
#349 of 515 in Barcelona
NH Collection Barcelona Tower
NH Collection Barcelona Tower
#125 of 515 in Barcelona

Been to Hotel Fira Congress? Share your experiences!