“Excellent hotel!”

Hotel SB Plaza Europa
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights with 2 friends for a short city break.

Cannot fault the hotel, absolutely spotless, lovely beds, spacious rooms, lovely soft towels and free safe! Walls are also quite thick, so we did not hear the neighbors and had a great sleep every night.

Reception staff are all excellent, very helpful and friendly. Gave us some great suggestions for good, less touristy clubs and bars in the city.

Small but sufficient pool on the roof, with sunbeds and comfy shaded seating area. Drinks in the bar are reasonably priced.

Regarding location - for us it was not problem at all, if anything it was a benefit. Yes it is not a central location, however, there are two metro stations 3mins and 5 mins walk away from the hotel. It is 10 euros for 10 trips (1 trip equates to 30 mins traveling either by bus or metro, regardless of how many changes you need to make). It did not take us longer than 15 mins to get to any of our destinations. Bus to the airport is also 3 mins walk away and costs just over 2 euros.

The neighborhood seems like very safe and quiet, big shopping mall across the road with lots of restaurants, a lot of them are very well priced and delicious!

I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank miss_starr
Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

What do you look for in a hotel. Good service, good shower, good bed and some ambience. Certainly this hotel always delivers. Beware though if you are looking to spend your time in central Barcelona this hotel is not for you. Public transport is good however taxis into the city will cost around 20euro and it's cash only for the majority.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BallouBear
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Fantastic hotel room with lots of space and modern décor in the room and around the hotel. Fresh and clean. The only things that let it down were the food (quite bland and unexciting) and the TV channels only had 2 English channels (BBC News and Sky News). No options for films for kids and all cartoons in Spanish.

Swimming pool on top deck and steam/sauna/gym at basement were great and well maintained.

It was a little bit further from Central Barcelona than indicated but nevertheless close enough to travel by bus. A huge shopping mall next door helped as it seems a safe and friendly place. There are frequent 'bangs' outside and around the vicinity from a firework factory or car place or something, very odd but never found out what it was although it happened at least every hour for the whole 5 days.

Room Tip: Go for a triple room, lots of space and sofa/3rd bed is great for kids, big enough for two to share...
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We had a fantastic time at this hotel. It is modern has an amazing roof top space with good seating and tables and a pool which has views over the city, airport, hills etc. The rooms were lovely and modern with hairdryer, safe, tv, fridge and complimentary toothbrush, comb, razor, etc. We could not fault anything about this hotel. Staff were very friendly and reception staff were great at answering anything you asked them. The breakfast had good variety and something for everyone. The hotel has a sauna and steam room and gym. This hotel is less than 5 mins walk to the bus stop where there are numerous, regular buses (L94, L95) which take you to Placa Espanya (Magic Fountain) and Catalunya (to the top of La Rambla) which you can then easily access either by metro or foot to the other attractions. No. 46 bus runs from airport Terminal 2 to the Gran Via stop at the shopping mall Gran Via 2 (we had T10 tickets (book of ten - 10 euro 30) so all our journeys were around 1 euro, so really cheap. The shopping mall is lovely with loads of shops, H&M, Hollister, Nike, Sephora, etc and the biggest supermarket I have seen which sells just about everything over 2 floors. Drink prices for beer, coffees were really reasonable in the hotel as was food, pizza, burgers which were very nice. Free wifi and computer use. We had to wait a couple of hours for my daughter's room which was not an issue as we sat up in the roof terrace while we were waiting, and in compensation a nice bottle of champagne was sent to the room as compensation. This was our first trip to Barcelona, we loved it and will definitely be back at this hotel.

1  Thank Debra81
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I LOVED this hotel - It is very modern/stylish and practical - the room was quite comfortable - we even had an extra rollaway bed in there and it was still fine (ok, yes, it restricted space a bit - but it fit and we could still walk in the room - my 4 yrs old son and husband even played a bit of soccer - so that's pretty good!).

The bathroom was great! Very clean, comfortable and also stylish! The shower is huge and has a rain shower-head and also a wand. The *only* issue we had with the bathroom (in fact this was the only issue we had at all the entire trip) one night was a strange smell, this after they had cleaned. When I reported the problem they promptly sent someone up to investigate (hard to tell where it was coming from, so even she didn't really know) who immediately sent the cleaning person back up - She was EXTREMELY nice, and immediately knew that it was coming from the pipes and thus rather unsolvable - *but* she recleaned and freshened it up such that it was not noticeable even through the following morning - so I was pleased.

Transportation: it's quite far from all the tourist locations, for sure - the reason I picked it is that the hotels that ARE in near the tourist attractions are VERY expensive - from this hotel a 10 euro cab ride took us to the attractions and then we walked from one to the next until we took a cab back - it worked very well. There is also a metro station nearby, and had I not been toting a 4 year old I might have gone that route, but for the price difference, it just didn't really make sense - our time was better spent taking a quick cab, which enabled us to also see whatever was on the ride to where we were going.

Front desk was very helpful - they quickly gave me the info on the metro versus the cab and always helped with anything I needed. My first language actually is Spanish, so I didn't need them to speak anything other than their own language, but I heard them handling English very well, and also several other languages. They will hand you a map as soon as you ask about locations of anything, and that map was quite handy as I chose to walk once I was in the middle of the city.

The hotel breakfast, to me, was well worth it! They have a great selection of eggs (fried and scrambled), meats (two types of ham (pork and turkey) and bacon and something else, the little hot-doggy looking things - I'm not a meat eater so I trip on the terms, but my husband is a huge meat eater and he loved it all :), cheeses, breads, yogurt, cereal, fruit, croissants (the yummiest chocolate croissants - I do wish they had also had large plain croissants, but hey...) and a machine that will make you different types of coffee, tea and hot chocolate - my son loved the hot chocolate (I tasted it and the 'chocolate fuerte' WAS qutie yum), and my husband approved of the coffee (he's picky), although it wasn't his favorite he said (but I noted he took seconds one morning :) - all I ever drink is water and I was happy that they let me take a huge bottle of it to the table!

Room service, I thought, was well priced and the food was unexpectedly good! The salad I ordered was fresh and delicious - my son's pasta bolognese was a great portion and looked delicious, he ate up the whole thing, and my husband was pleased with his sandwich - and it was not overpriced at all - it was as if we had gone to any other random place on the street (plus a moderate service fee)- I really, really appreciate that.

One last thing abuot location - also nearby (as in, with an entrance practically across the street) is a mall! And in it there is a great selection of eating places! The front desk was so/so about it, instead recommending an eatery up the road the first night - which I did like!- but I wish they had been more complimentary of the 'food court' at the mall, as I think it was great! They have an italian place (that opens only at 7pm- for dinner at least, don't know about lunch), a place that's kinda like a Panera (for US folks) basically a chain sandwhich and salad place, and also a tapas place (probably also a chain, but with quite the local flair), which we really liked! There's also an ice cream/coffee place which my husband (and son, of course) loved - it is actually a chain throughout Barcelona at least, since we visited it twice near tourist attractions, and it really is quite good. They also have some american food palce, which we avoided, a ... I think it was KFC? - we also avoided :) and they had a subway and one more fast food. so OK, lots of generic fast food you don't want to eat as a tourist, but the tapas place was GREAT and the itialin place looked good! They have another floor with another italian place and a brasilian place (one of those that brings the meat to you, I think) and something else I can't remember - my point: lots of variety and great to have nearby for a quick dinner after a long day, especially, in my opinion, if you have kids, or a large group with different interests. The mall itself was pretty great with lots of stores at many different price points and lots of locals doing their shopping - there's also a Carrefour in the mall, which is pretty handy and there was a CVS-type pharmacy store as well if you need anything (these types of needs can also be taken care of at Carrefour). There is another, more local, super market down the street near the dining place that front desk recommended the first night. All in all - this was a fantastic hotel that was quite well situated, although no, it's not in the middle of the city and it's not on a 'quaint' Barcelona street with tons of cute cafes and whatnot - but for the price, I was more than pleased with what it had to offer!

oh - my husband said the gym was good :)

Reviewed June 21, 2014

There was three of us on our trip, when we arrived the receptionist told us we had two rooms instead of one triple room (we informed her we only had one room but she insisted that it was fine & we can have both rooms) So we unpacked our clothes went to the mall opposite (which has many shops, restaurants & a great hair salon) came back to the hotel & our room card was blocked? Went to the reception to be told we have an hour to pack our stuff & stay in one room (what we said from the start) we stated this was poor customer service & after a 5am flight this was very frustrating. The receptionists were very rude & not apologetic we asked to speak with the manager who's apology was 'I can give byou hour and half' Was disgusted. We then went for lunch in the restaurant where the waitor was a yes man & didn't have a clue what we were saying. Ordered a chicken ceaser salad€12 came with no dressing, just leaves & croutons no chicken in sight! 3 mains took 3 hours & was sent back twice it took 4 waitresses/waiters 2 hours to get us a drink. This is not an exaggeration & the hotel was empty!!!! The food was the worst food I've ever seen aswell & I am an easily pleased person so that is saying something! The rooms are a lovely décor, not spacious, no long length mirror, sink in the bedroom not in the bathroom. 10 sunbeds at the pool area so you have to fight for a sunbed. View from pool is all industrial. Never will I be staying here again! La rambla is €10 in taxi- 10 min drive, beach is €20- 20 min drive. €21 from airport to hotel. Have to get taxi's everywhere due to location. This hotel is good for business people as very industrial. Definitely not 4* at all. Absolutely loved Barcelona though fantastic place & fabulous weather.

• Stayed: June 2014
SBHotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel SB Plaza Europa, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear chelseaella1,
we take very seriously the feedback from our clients, it is very important to us.

We do make a mistake with your reservation as one of the rooms was already cancelled ( as you said us ) and when we realised that, we spoke with you inmediately. We gave you and hour and a half to change room which I find enough but as you were not happy at all with the person at the Front Desk, the Manager on duty offer you a complimentary meal at the restaurant and asked you to please change room when you finish.

I found your comments about the restaurant service very exaggerated, however I am sorry the meal didn't leave up to your expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Gemma Fradera

Reviewed June 19, 2014

The hotel has a good location for visiting Barcelona, it's only 2 metro stations away from Barcelona (plaza Espagna). If you're purpose of your stay is to explore Barcelona (sight seeing) than it doesn't really matter where you sleep, because all the highlights are spread throughout the city. The design of the hotel it's great and it has good facilities (rooftop pool, turkish bath, sauna, fitness). The daily breakfast buffet is also perfect.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel SB Diagonal Zero Barcelona
NH Collection Barcelona Tower
NH Collection Barcelona Tower
#137 of 518 in Barcelona

Been to Hotel SB Plaza Europa? Share your experiences!