“Lots to like but location”

Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel
Reviewed April 5, 2014

The overall design of this hotel is quite amazing and uses the space well. The deluxe room was a great fit for three of us and we like the modern touches. However, we did have two issues. With the way the lighting is, it was hard to see the glass walls. I ran into one in the early morning and got a huge black eye. My husband walked into the same wall 20 minutes later, even after knowing I did it.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend the location for tourist. It isn’t in walking distance to any of the top attractions and it is in a very convention oriented part of town. We stayed later in the week off of Passeig de Gracia and felt there was much more to do, especially for dinner at night.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We had a very early flight and landed at 10 am so we went to the hotel to see if they could store our hand luggage as check in wasn't until 3 pm, they were very helpful and gave us a room straight away. All 5 lifts were glass and moved quickly, I struggle with heights and got into quite a state, again they were very helpful and let me use the enclosed staff lift. Our room was all white and I mean ALL!!! Very minimal!! Bathroom had a large bath which was lovely to relax in after a tiring day. Toilet enclosed, felt a little like being in a box!! No wonderful views from the window and was out of the city, situated in the business area. So was very quiet at night. This has it advantages and disadvantages depending on what you wanted to get out of the trip. It suited us fine. The rooftop pool was closed due to high winds but we decided to go up to use the small indoor jacuzzi pool, I was expecting warm water but it was cold so my husband decided to give it a miss, I did sit in it for about 5 mins but wasn't very relaxing!! We wanted to go to a Barcelona FC match while we were out there and asked reception the best way to go about getting tickets. They said they could get them and arranged everything, they were even cheaper doing it this way!! Breakfast the first morning was very hectic due to all the business people so on further mornings we went down a little later so was more relaxed. Selection was adequate. Our stay overall was good and I must say the Staff were all friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Check in procedure.
Firstly, the hotel gave us the room with kingside bad (our request was twins bad)
Secondly, they gave us DIRTY room!!
Third, finally, we have room with twins bad, but no works keys.
So our journey inside the hotel was 7 floor to 1, 1 to 17-1, 1 to 19 and 19-1-19
Anyway, no problems anymore. Beautiful hotel, friendly atmosphere.
Just one more strange things, before noon (check out time) maid open our room when we asked about privacy leaved "do not disturb" card on the door.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 572165_165572
Andrea M, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear customer,
I would like to thank you for taking your time to write your travel comments about your recent stay at the Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel.

We are deeply sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with your stay and that you came across some challenges. Please accept our sincere apologies for all inconvenience during your stay. Comments and ratings such as yours are very important for us, and are shared with all of our team members for improvement.

I remain at your entire disposal; should you need any further help, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have taken some time before writing this review as time gives perspective but even a week later, I am still annoyed. Let's start with the positives. The hotel is modern and fresh. The rooms are all white with some nice touches. the layout is intresting and makes the best use of the space available.

The hotel is almost a little 'too cool for school' in its design but that is a personal view and will suit others better.

There seem to be trees growing everywhere and the structural layout means that the floors are all open to the outside air. The lack of lights when I got to my 23rd floor upon checking in, made for a slightly hazadous journey to my room but that was ok.

I did have a problem with my door - it could not be double locked. I reported it and someone came immediately to make a temporary repair. Very speedy. They promised to make the repair permanent the next day but this didnt happen.

Breakfast was very good. A good choice and a chef to cook fresh food as well. Always a good sign.

The general area of FIRA is bland, rather like an upmarket industrial estate and there is no metro but a taxi into town was €11 or so. Mind you, unless you are at a conference at the conference centre, this may not be your first choice of hotel. If you are at a conferenec, the south entrance to the conference centre is about a 5 minute wallk or so. However, our event was at the north entrance which wa a good 20 minute walk - not hard to find but longer than you think.

Som overall, I was thinking that with more business trips planned to Barcelona this year, then perhaps this might not be a bad alternative at which to stay.

I had been slightly annoyed at the high price I had to pay for the hotel and my second night was €45 more than the first. Upon checking out, I was also asked to pay for breakfast which no one had told me was not included - it usually is in Europe. Given the very high rate I had paid for the room, I assumed this was a mistake. The check out girl checked and said it was not included. I said that I was unlikely to come back here again given this. She helpfully asked her supervisor who went to check in 'the office' located directly behind the counter and he called her back to advise that breakfast was not included and no they would not include it. The poor girl at the check out was given this information by phone as it appears that dealing with a customer personally was not something this supervisor was prepared to do. So fine, Renaissance, you have lost my business for this year and many others. I travel to Barcelona a couple of times a year at least. There are plenty of other options and unfortunaltely, your hotel will not be on my list in the future. Shame.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank turnipgreen

Dear valued customer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment your recent stay at the Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests regarding the experience in our hotel as we consider these reviews one of the most valuable tools to improve and meet guest’s expectations.

We are deeply sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with your stay and location noticed your constructive feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies if you faced any inconvenience during your stay. Comments and ratings such as yours are very important for us, and are shared with all of our team members for improvement.

Unfortunately we are not so close to the center located as wished, however it is very convenient close to the Fira GranVia Convention center. There is a metro stop right in front of the hotel and the center can be reached within 15min.

The room rates are set depends on the demand and yes, there are rate changes may apply. Normally hotels offer room rates including or excluding breakfast and I'm sorry if you were not having all information.

Thank you again for your comments and please don't hesitate to contact us if you require any further information. We hope to welcome you back at our hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Exquisite detailing is evident in this hotel. Contemporary in nature. Offers room types in all white or dark grey/black. Great buffet breakfast with lots to choose from on well lit 14th floor with great views. Roof top bar and pool with incredible views of the city. Glass elevators provide unique experience.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We have just returned from a trip to Barcelona. We took our son and his fiancee for a short break to Barcelona through a Travelzoo offer. Fleetway Travel the Company that organised the trip were excellent and all the travel arrangments went very smoothly (we flew from Manchester with Jet2).

The hotel is superb - very interesting design, great facilities, great breakfast and the staff are extremely helpful.
When I booked this trip I was slightly concerned the hotel was too far out of the centre but in fact it's very easy to get to Las Ramblas from this hotel and the Square Espanya is only a few stops away on the metro. The metro station is right outside the hotel. Take the pink line for 3 stops to Square Espana and then change to line L3 to Catalunya which will take you to the centre of Barcelona and Las Ramblas. Get a T10 travel card to travel around (for both metro and buses). You can buy your T10 at the metro station (from a machine) and you get 10 trips on each card (share a card if you are only there for a day or two).

To get to and from the airport take the 46 bus (it's very cheap)- it's about 20 minutes and stops right by the hotel. Turn right out of the arrivals terminal and walk along the line of bus stops until you see 46 stop. On your way from the airport look out for IKEA on the right and press the buzzer for the bus to stop at the next stop. Cross the road to the hotel. On your return to the airport the bus stop is right by the hotel and the bus goes every 15 minutes starting on the hour, right to terminal 2.

Jackie Ingham
28/03/14

Room Tip: If you don't mind heights go for a room on a higher floor number, such as the 21st floor - great...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
19  Thank Jackie I
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Amazing Hotel. Lovely Rooms. All white rooms, lovely artistic windows. All very modern. Very quiet. comfy beds, lovely toiletries. Spotlessly clean. Very good powerful shower. Great panoramic views of Barcelona. Roof top pool an bar amazing,we were even able to sit for a while in the evening, so relaxing. and great Spa.
Staff very friendly and helpful. Best buffet breakfast we have ever had in an Hotel. One of the best hotels I have ever been in.
15 mins from Airport on no 46 bus (get off at IKEA across road from hotel) 2 euros approx.
Station two minutes walk from Hotel, a 3 of stops to plaza Espanya, them metro for 4 stops right to the bottom of Las Ramblas. Buy a ten journey ticket at train station. Can be used on Train, Metro and Bus. So much to see in the beautiful city of Barcelona, get a two day hop on hop of bus pass, cheaper online before you go. Will definitely be back to this City and this hHotel. Have already recommended to friends and family.

Room Tip: We were in a room that did not have a great view, but it was not a problem, you just have to go out...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Hotel Fira Congress
#5 of 10 in L'Hospitalet de Llobregat
Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya
#102 of 515 in Barcelona

Been to Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel? Share your experiences!