“Barcelona Gem”

Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Barcelona Gem”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Opted to stay at this Renaissance as it was closest to the port prior to our cruise and we are so glad we did. Our stay was for one night only but a real delight. The hotel itself is a 27 -story tower, very modernisitic in design with windows that have to be seen. We were comped with a "jr. suite" on the 21st floor with stunning views. The room is very modern, with white on white décor. The shower is large and has a rainfall fixture, a real luxury in any hotel. The rooftop has a small pool and full Barcelona views. Please try the hotel's Palmer restaurant for tapas. The biggest surprise yet. The mushroom croquettes and grilled calamari were exceptional. The breakfast buffet was possibly the best hotel buffet we ever had. While the hotel is a bit removed from central Barcelona (it is located on a metro line), a stay here will not disappoint.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Tequesta, Florida
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was the most chic, modern hotel I have ever seen! Hallways to the rooms were very dark, but not in a creepy way, just modern and classy....although some folks may have a hard time getting around.....also doors had no handles and you could barely see where the door entry was! We stayed in a Junior suite which had the long, thin eye shaped window (can't think of the proper term for this shape!). Everything in the room was white or mirrors. Basically shower was in bedroom....not super functional (and kinda slippery) but tres' chic! A sliding mirrored wall divided bathroom/shower from bedroom.

We really enjoyed the pool on top deck and had the best sangria of our 9 night trip. Awesome views of the city from deck. Loved the pool deck bed loungers.

The elevators are glassed in and you can see outside and inside the hotel,,, very cool but gave hubby the quivers!

It was a short 10-15 minute ride to airport but it was not cheap....maybe because it was 4am, but cost nearly 40 euros.....maybe we got ripped off but we were too sleepy at that point to care!

The immediate area is very much office high rises, not much character. We did take the public bus across the street as directed by front desk.....it stopped frequently and we got off near plaza espana...I'd say 15 minutes away from hotel....

Bottom line, the quality of the hotel vs. the price was incredible. I think you could use it as a base for touring the city but it is not ideal. It seemed most guests staying there on the Saturday night I was there also had flights the next morning.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband was on an official visit to Barcelona and we got to stay in this hotel due to the proximity of the venue for MWC '13.

It's a fantastic hotel to stay in except for being located outside the core city area. Nonetheless it is connected well to the city by the metro with just 2 or 3 stops away from Plaza Espanya. The walk to the plaza from the hotel is enjoyable as well. The hotel has vertical landscape concept which is quite fresh. The breakfast buffet is quite sumptuous. Take time for it. Also there is a gymnasium an a small pool area with a good view to enjoy yourself in the evenings .

Room Tip: Room on a high floor to enjoy the lift ride :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We ended up at the Renaissance because the very few hotels close to the airport were all full. It has a great architectural design and some rooms have top notch views on the Monjuich hill and olympic complex. The rooms are what you expect from a Renaissance hotel in terms of comfort, cleanliness and amenities. The top floor poolside bar is a nice place to chill out. I also agree that the restaurant food has nothing to rave about and they also need a kids' menu. All in all at 110 euros a room, it's quite good value for money and very convenient if you need to catch a morning flight.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Quito
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,959 helpful votes
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have stayed trice at this hotel and will come back again and again whenever in Barcelona whether for business or with my family as I did the last time in 2012. People are so, so wonderful, they truly strive to make your stay the best. I loved their tiny club lounge and the rooms at the club level. Rooms are comfy, clean and fully furnished, and they keep them upgraded year after year from what I saw.

Is located in El Prat de Llobregat, near to Barcelona Airport with a free shuttle back and forth. They also provide free shuttle round trip to Barcelona (main bay) as per schedules. I enjoyed their food at the restaurant and swimming in the outdoor swimming pool.

Room Tip: "is a circular building, you may want to look for a garden view"
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
15 Thank idrovoviva
Midlands UK
Reviewed July 15, 2013

If I was on my first ever trip to Barcelona, I probably wouldn't stay here, because the location, in my opinion, is a little far out to keep going back and forth to the obvious tourist sites.

This was my 4th trip to Barcelona, and as such, I'd already seen the Gaudi park/buildings, the montjuic fountains and the Ramblas several times. Therefore I didn't mind being a little further away from the centre.

The hotel isn't too far out. There is a station (Europa Fira) outside the hotel, which connects in Espanya, approximately 10 minutes away, which then links in to the other lines on the metro network. One great advantage is the distance from the airport is reduced to just 10 minutes by bus. Catch the no 46 for just 2 Euros and save the 30 Euro taxi fare each way.

The highlight of this hotel, in my opinion, is the roof top pool and terrace which gives you 360 degree views of Barcelona. You can have a quiet two hours sun bathing and pool time between 10 am and 12pm, before it gets busy, by which time you are probably cooked and want to go indoors for a while anyway. I also enjoyed returning in the evening to enjoy the night time view and have some drinks beside the pool. I found this to be far more relaxing than cramming onto the beach at Barcelonetta with a few thousand other people.

I was very pleased with the room at the hotel. It was easy to store everything away and keep the clean minimal look. The rain shower was also really nice. The bed was pretty comfortable, though the lack of headboard or cushions made it a bit uncomfortable when trying to watch TV etc. The air con worked without any problems.

There are several lifts in the hotel so I was never kept waiting more than 30 seconds to get where I needed to go.

Service was somewhat hit and miss. One of the reception staff was always very helpful. On other occasions when other staff were on shift, we would be ignored for a really long time whilst they talked to one another, which was very rude and unwelcoming. Cleaning was also inconsistent. Following cleaning, we would always have to call reception to ask for towels, or tea/coffee which had not been replaced, and sometimes we would return to find the same dirty mugs had been left in the room.

There is a large shopping centre across the street which includes a selection of restaurants, and a large supermarket where you can buy pretty much anything you might need. The website says open 10am - 10pm every day, but don't get caught out on a Sunday, when in fact the shops are closed and its just a few of the restaurants that are open.

Overall I loved my room and I loved the pool. I also liked being just a little distance away from the noise of the city centre, yet close enough to enjoy it whenever I wanted to. For the price I paid, the pool, and the convenience of the airport transfer, I am willing to overlook the issues with service, and I would stay here again.

1 Thank U2fanatic
Manama
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Everything is great at this hotel, but what you really can not forget is the design.
Good food, great waitresses serving your breakfast ( all are helpful).
Good location close to Metro station, few minutes away from Plaza Espagna. The gentlemen at the reception are so professional and hospitable.

nice swimming pool at the roof top. Don't miss it!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Eixample
H10 Casa Mimosa
H10 Casa Mimosa
#2 of 513 in Barcelona

Been to Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel? Share your experiences!