“Good choice”
Review of Magistrat

Magistrat
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Tomsk
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This hotel was recommended by someone I was visiting, and it turned out to be a great choice. The service was impeccable, the room - clean and comfortable, the breakfast - filling, enjoable and promptly served.

One thing I would say is that they could do with providing at least some powdered milk (in sachets) for those who take milk in their drinks - for the time when you want to make a drink in your room. Toothpaste would also be welcome - some hotels in the 4-star category provide it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 627helena

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I drove a detour on the Transsiberian Highway just to see the Magistrat Hotel, as it is one of the very few Russian Hotels with a history and building from before communist times. And it looks good on the internet. Unfortunately my expectations were not met:

- There is no elevator. Our room was on the highest 3rd floor.

- Our deluxe room had no windows, no view, only two roof openings.

- There is no wellness area.

- The breakfast is very limited à la carte.

- There is not Diet Coke in the hotel (however in the supermarket / petrol station down the road)

- All of the above and the service quality didn't correspond with the RUB 9.000 / USD 300 price per night.

On the positive side, the clientele is interesting, receptionists are very friendly and the interior design is high-level for Russian standards. From an aesthetical point of view, the Magistrat Tomsk is certainly one of the nicest hotels in Russia.

Note: the Hotel Toyan next door came as a pleasant surprise. A boutique / designhotel with extravagant, dark, young interior decoration of high international standard. May be worth a test.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank TrophyCollector
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was one of the nicest hotels we stayed at during a four-week trip to Russia. Tomsk is a beautiful and interesting town, and this must be the nicest hotel anywhere around. The room was huge and elegant. The dining room was really beautiful, and the breakfast was the best of any hotel of our trip. I cannot think of a thing wrong with this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ProNomad33062
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We absolutely loved Tomsk, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Magistrat for 3 nights in June 2011. We were on an extended backpacking trip through Asia and Europe, and the Magistrat and Tomsk were a highlight. The hotel is beautiful, well located (on the edge of town), and has a lovely old feel to it. It was a splurge/treat that we'd do again in a heartbeat. Rooms are well appointed and beds very comfortable. We had a lot type room, not sure of the classification (sorry, can't remember). We has breakfast served to our room (at no extra cost), and it was complete with silver cloches and white linen... Cliched and fun! The breakfast was extensive and I remember the yummy muesli! The outside of the building makes for nice photos. We enjoyed walking into the busier area of town each morning and evening.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank clare_rohan
Reviewed September 1, 2009

The Magistrat Hotel is really impressive. My room had a lobby, then a bed room that was absolutely huge with a sitting area and a balcony and the bathroom was pretty huge too. The hotel restaurant is Italian and serves excellent food which is also available as room service. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. They must have CCTV in the corridors because I put my suitcase outside my room on checking out, planning to ask when I got to the front desk for someone to come and get it. I then went back inside to get my other bags and found on leaving the room that my suitcase was gone! Fortunately they had spotted it and it had already been taken down for me.
The only downside was that my room was on the first floor and there wasn't a lift. As I have some difficulties with stairs this was a bit annoying. The hotel front door was up a flight of steps too.
The hotel is at the end of Tomsk's main street and we found that some of the wooden houses that Tomsk is famous for were within walking distance. There isn't really a lot to see in Tomsk in any case (this was a business trip) but the hotel itself was almost worth the trip!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank lisapc1309
Reviewed March 14, 2009

Super hôtel.well located in the center with all services.
Two remarks: rooms on the street along the tramway are noisy because of tramway (ask for the ones far from this street
Internet non included and very expensive (depends on traffic) Not normal for such a standard.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank toptype
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I went on a business trip to Tomsk a few years ago, and my client arranged for this hotel. It looks like I stayed in the same room as the previous reviewer. As he said, the service is impeccable. This is not the place you would expect to find in Siberia - particularly the Siberia of days past.

The rooms - at least the room I had - was huge! The bathroom was equally as large. In fact, the bathroom was almost too large - you could easily get cold there, since it was too large to heat well.

The bed was very comfortable, sofa equally so.

The ceiling was a little low in places, since I was on the top floor, and the roof line gets in the way. This particular room also had no regular windows - only sky lights. That was a little disconcerting - I would have like to be able to see outside.

The restaurant was very good. The decor was a little - or lot - gaudy, with a lot of gold. The restaurant appears to be a place for the new wealthy in Tomsk to be seen.

Most people will not find this place by accident, but if you are heading to Tomsk, don't worry about staying in this hotel - it is very nice.

• Stayed: October 2004, traveled on business