The hotel we were originally booked into closed for decoration so we were switched to this one. We were told that it was better than the original and if that is the case then we clearly had a narrow escape; however, I do not think this was the case. We were allocated room 232 which turned out to be at the end of a row behind staff quarters backing onto an ugly concrete wall topped with barbed wire. The rooms were dingy and dull, although clean and are long overdue decoration. The view was awful as the grounds surrounding the rooms were a dust-bowl with scrubby and scant vegetation. I complained long and hard at reception and was told that the hotel was full and a move would not be possible until the next day. As we moving on after two days we bit the bullet and stayed where we were but did so under protest.
The pool was clean although it did get very full and sun-beds were consequently sometimes hard to find. The area surrounding the pool and to the left as you look from the hotel is best avoided as the smell of raw sewage from the visible manholes is decidedly off-putting and eating and drinking in this area would prove gut-wrenching.
The bar and restaurant were pleasant and the music provided by live bands was relaxing and unobtrusive. The buffet meals were adequate if uninspired and suffered from what almost every other hotel I have stayed at in Sri Lanka does, a lack of chicken breast meat. Every chicken meal is made up of bony thighs or wings, the bone making up 50%+ of the dish; this failing extends to other meats also, a false economy I feel.
All-in-all a disappointing experience which I would not recommend to other travelers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Habarana Village by Cinnamon lies sprawled across 27 acres of luxuriant land bordering a stunning lake of Habarana. The hotel's cozy cottages, inspired by the typical thatched roof huts found locally, lie in clusters with low roofs and brownish yellow exteriors. Habarana Village by Cinnamon boasts of 94 Superior Rooms, 12 Deluxe Rooms and 2 Suites set in the middle of thousands of high-rise trees that provide fruit, medicinal properties and plenty of shade. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Habarana Village by Cinnamon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chaaya Village Habarana Hotel Habarana
- Chaaya Village Hotel Habarana
- Chaaya Village Resort Habarana