“Decent hotel;”

Sorowwa Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Habarana
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We were booked into this hotel by our tour operator and found it of a high standard compared to some others we stayed in. Rooms have excellent quality furnishings and everything seems to be well maintained. The lake view rooms are lovely; with a good view and verandah overlooking the lake. The rooms at the back are small and without a view - so ask if you can move! Nice pool.

The only real issue we had was that the restaurant didn't serve dinner until 1945 which is too late for young children (my son is 5) Fortunately the staff were helpful and provided us with some rice from the kitchen - but there was no choice so fortunately he like rice! The other issue with the food was that there wasn;t any a la carte menu so you are forced to eat (and pay for) a full evening buffet meal every night which is expensive and much more food than we needed. As there aren't any other restaurants nearby this situation could be improved by offering at least some bar snacks or simple menu.

As one of the other reviewers pointed out - the grounds do look a bit liked the building has been plonked down and never quite finished but this didn't bother us!
We loved the nearby Sigiriya Rock - was one of the highlights of our trip.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank NaddyLaloo
There are newer reviews for Sorowwa Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 10, 2012

Location and Access – Convenient for visitors to Sri Lanka's World Heritage sites at Sigiriya rock fortress and Polonnaruwa.Tthe hotel is accessed by a rough track and is in a lush green setting overlooking a lake. Nearby it is possible to arrange an elephant safari. Closest town is Habarana
Google Earth – It is not possible to see the hotel on Street View
Architectural Style – The hotel is a modern white 3 story block.
Reception – This is open plan and has a modern chic style with water features. There is comfortable lounge seating. Staff are efficient and welcoming. A very nice touch was the porter taking my bags to the room showed me around checking that lighting, A/C and TV etc. all worked (Some sockets suitable for UK appliances)
Public Areas/Decor – The clean minimalist modern decor is carried on throughout. Everything is well maintained including the lakeside garden
Guest Facilities – restaurant, lounge, bar, outdoor swimming pool and garden
Guest Rooms – Have a spacious bedroom and large balcony with lake view
Decor/Maintenance/Cleanliness –. Clean and modern – the glass sided wall to the bathroom may not suit all tastes – but there is a blind for those of a modest nature
Furnishing/Bed –.Excellent quality furnishing with a comfortable king size bed with white linen and pillows. I found the metal “designer” seating on the balcony to be uncomfortable
Bathroom – Everything functional with a full size bath and shower, ample towels and a small range of toiletries
Amenities including Entertainment – Old style TV with limited number of channels, wi fi (although I could not get a connection), mini/bar fridge, safe box, tea/coffee making and telephone
Lighting – Adequate with wall and ceiling lights
Heating/Air Conditioning – A/C was good and large glass door opening onto balcony for air
Food Offering – Room service provided a reasonable snack. Dinner was a set menu with acceptable choices and at a good price. Not many other dining options in the area. Breakfast in the restaurant was international self service buffet style with a good selection
Value for Money – For the standard of accommodation the price was all right but still expensive for Sri Lanka. Food and drink was moderately priced – including a 1500 LKR corkage charge. For anyone travelling with a driver the hotel provides accommodation and food free of charge (my driver was satisfied with the sleeping arrangements)
X Factor – Visitors attracted by the peaceful location will find Sorowwa Resort and Spa a delightful place to stay, especially after a day of sightseeing. The modern decor of the hotel and the high standard of maintenance will be appreciated by international travellers looking to be accommodated in style and comfort

Room Tip: All rooms have a lake view if mobility is an issue go for the first floor - there's no lift
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peterh125
Reviewed January 3, 2012

This hotel is really something.. of a joke! The site looks unfinished (are they rebuilding, adding, finishing?! nobody knows). It is by the lake however this is not a plus. The lake simply is there, you can do an elephant ride along the banks but apart from that the lake is not a place to go and enjoy. The dirt road leading to the hotel is short but potholed. The rooms are spacious however we had a foul smell in the bathroom that they just could not seem to fix. They tried 4 (!) times but it remained. Upon check-out i complained again and asked to talk to the manager. HE DID NOT KNOW ABOUT IT! The staff apparently had thought it was not important enough to tell the manager. Food was ok-ish. Bit bland and a lot of curry. Staff in restaurant was very nice. Staff of the reception not so nice. Do not do laundry as they will mix whites with colors. All in all I would think that there are better hotels in Habarana worth visiting.

Room Tip: BKLYNBUBBA describes a suite that sounds a lot better then our room!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Curazon
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We had no prior clue about this hotel and our tour operator had booked it for us. We did read the reviews and it seemed that most reviews were positive. We received a warm reception. The rooms were good but for some reason the floor was wet and slippery (and it took quite a long time to dry). The internet connection was fantastic and the view was nice (not spectacular). The kids loved the pool. And the food was excellent especially the feast on Christmas eve was quite magnificient. It was the first hotel on our trip to Sri Lanka and set just the right tone for the rest of the visit. The hotel served as a base for visits to Sigriya and Dambulla and we needed to stay two nites. The flight from Mumbai to Colombo on Sri Lankan air is at an unearthly hour and it is 4 hour journey from Colombo airport to this place. So we arrive at about 12 noon and dog tired.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Danny03
Reviewed January 2, 2012

This hotel is situated in a great place - huge lake in the front, real village on one side and elephants on the other side. It is not close to the noisy road as most hotels in Sri Lanka. Rooms are big, food is very good, staff is nice. There is free wifi in a lobby, which is a little miracle in Sri Lanka. Design is simple, modern, clean and nice, local flowers everywhere. They will make up your bed during dinner, so you have to remove all the water lillys before going to sleep ;) Very nice. Pool is ok, not on direct sun, so your kids can play there longer time without getting sunburn. You can watch them from a bar right next to it. I reccomend this hotel. I'm giving 4* because of hair on a shower curtain...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank B C C
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Very silent place, though the road was quite bad. The room had big terasse, and was quite nice and clean. The hotel surroundings are silent, not close to any bigger road, near the water. AS the bathroom has grid instead of window, we were visited by gecko.
Complimentary coffee, tea, a lot of space in the room.
A bit missed more food without curry, and the staff was somehow as sedated as the view outside :)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Alinva
Reviewed November 27, 2011

When making my reservation I thought it was odd that I had to pre pay for my entire stay, but what the heck, it would be one less bill to pay when I got home. Upon arriving the reception was just flat, neither warm nor cold. They did give me cold towels to refresh with, and then showed me to my room. This turned out to be the VIP suite, up several flights of stairs, away from the rest of the hotel. I protested immediately, went back down to reception, and was told that I had paid for a deluxe room, and so this was it. I had this giant suite to myself, with a dining room, living room, balcony, 2 bathrooms and bedroom, way too much space for myself, but this was my error I guess, so be it. What I did not like most was that it was away from the rest of the hotel, on the top floor, by itself, and I really felt very isolated. The situation of the hotel is also somewhat confusing. They built it fronting on a lake, in a u shape. facing away from the lake, so most of the rooms have lake views (except of course the deluxe suite. I had a view of the elephant rides and the pool). The beautiful pool is inside the u, and this means that there is no sun by the pool in the afternoon. Also being by a lake means hordes of bugs, so the pool was fairly useless, as any attempt to sit there meant being eaten alive. The entire 3 days I was there I witnessed just 3 people attempt to use the pool, including myself, and no one could tolerate it The restaurant served a rather bland buffet every evening, and a typical breakfast buffet in the morning. I passed on dinner my last night there, and to their credit the very friendly dining room staff wanted to know why when I showed up for breakfast the next morning, as they had noticed I wasn't there the night before. But the kicker here was my problem with the laundry. I had a few items sent to the laundry, dutifully itemized them on the listing, but forgot to total them. When I got them back, one pair of Levi Strauss cargo shorts was missing. Since this is not exactly a big hotel I reported it immediately thinking it was just a mistake. Guess what? Nope, it was my fault as the total said 9 items, not 10. clearly the 2 on shorts had been changed to a 1, but that did not seem to matter. They did not use their side of the total sheet, just wrote over my side. The head of house keeping came up and told me only 3 guests had laundry done that day, and they checked, and there was no mistake, no one else got the shorts. I could not believe it, as nothing like this has ever happaned to me before. I asked that he please check the laundry room. He offered to take me down there himself, but I protested that this was not necessary, just find the shorts. They did not. He asked how much they cost, and I told him I did not want the money, I wanted my clothes back. No deal, it was my fault. The next day when I asked to see the manager, he was no where to be found, and the Housekeepng Manager again spoke with me. Needless to say this can and did put a damper on my visit here. The location of the hotel is good for visiting nearby Sigiriya and Polonnaruwa and Dambulla. And there are elephant rides right next to the hotel (the most uncomfortable thing I have done in years and the elephants didn't look too happy about it either). Since this hotel is out in the country and near a local village, you will get a fair sampling of village life here. The local people are friendly and welcoming, but unfortunately they seem to care nothing about the dogs that are intent on ripping each other apart and yelping about it all night long. That is certainly not the hotel's fault, but my experience with the laundry, and the bugs, and my isolated 'suite', and the mediocre food left me with a very bad impression of this place. There are plenty of other choices for a good location to stay at while visiting the local sights, and Habarana is a good central spot, but avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not ask for a deluxe room as you will be banished to Siberia!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank bklynbubba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Habarana
Cinnamon Lodge Habarana
#1 of 17 in Polonnaruwa
Camellia Resort and Spa
Camellia Resort and Spa
#5 of 20 in Sigiriya

Been to Sorowwa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!