“Great room - everything you could want” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Alhaurin Golf Resort

Hotel Alhaurin Golf Resort
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great room - everything you could want”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

I mainly chose this hotel, as it is close to where my friends live in Alhaurin. I have stayed here before, but this stay was even more enjoyable. The hotel was only half full, so we were given a free room upgrade. The room was huge with a balcony, 2 very large beds, a separate sitting area and a jacuzzi bath in the bathroom.
The buffet breakfast was the usual Spanish format, but still very good with hot and cold choices
The pool area is one of the hotel's best features. We spent a few hours around the pool drinking Tino de Verano and my friend's kids even braved the pool. Too cold or me in May
I believe the golf course is very good. The ongoing roadworks are noisy during the day, but it will improve the road down to Fuengirola significantly
Good choice if you want a more Spanish hotel away from the coast

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lisasplaces

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Finnish first
Sunderland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

Stayed for 10 nights. Very clean. Great room - well presented. Breakfast is plentiful with lots of choice (hot and cold). Staff are friendly and always willing to help. Pool area is well kept and was never busy. Very quiet and relaxing. A major road scheme is in process which could cause some noise when surfacing near the hotel. No problems when we were there. The evening menu is limited so it is worth visiting Mijas which is located about 10 minutes drive away. Lovely place with plenty of restaurants that have amazing views of the coast. Tennis courts, gym and sauna have additional charges if you want to use them. Would use this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ChimpyTraveller
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

I completely disagree with the positive reviews here, and I would like to warn everyone from visiting Alhaurin Golf.

I was in Malaga on a business trip but wanted to avoid the noise of Costa Del Sol and therefore picked this hotel, because I wanted a quiet place in the mountains. What I did not know was that there are major roadworks for many kilometres around Alhaurin Golf, with some roads even closed, so it is not easy to get there.

Both the breakfast buffet and the dinner buffet were terrible. I don't know how you can fail with Spanish serrano ham, but Alhaurin Golf managed to serve some uneatable variant. The same goes for the scrambled eggs, the bacon, and most of the warm dishes served at dinner.

For these reasons, I chose to check out two days early (I am glad they allowed me to do that with no extra charge) and move to a hotel in Malaga.

The rooms are spacious and clean, and the staff is very friendly, but that is it. Even if you only want a golf vacation, I am sure there are much nicer golf resorts in the area. There are plenty of them. The Alhaurin golf courses seemed to be in good condition though, so it might be worth a visit after the roadworks are completed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dreyfus111
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

Just returned from Alhaurin Golf Resort, location is a bit out of the way but if you just want to relax while your other half is playing golf its just perfect. Rooms were fantastic - biggest bed Ive ever seen, hotel cleaned to an exceptional standard. All staff very helpful and pleasant - restaurant staff in particular were great fun. My only gripe would be the lack of sunbeds around the pool - we counted 12 which was ok because it was a quiet week so no trouble getting one but may be a problem if the hotel was full.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank scubatonyBristol
edinburgh,scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

My wife and myself stayed at this hotel from the 19th september for one week, the hotel is in a great location , with a great golf course next door, but there were a few problems. The hotel was full of german tourists who if you speak to them look at you as if you were from a different planet, there is no entertainment laid on at all, so in the evening after you had your dinner there was nothing to do at all. On our second night at the hotel we were woken at 4am by a large rat running across our bed and jumping onto the bed side cabinet, I went to reception and reported this to the night porter who told us to leave the room at once and gave us another room. At 8am I went to reception and asked what was going on as we had no clothes or washing gear as it was in the room together with the rat also I am diabetic and needed my insulin. I was told that the manager would be along to see us within the next ten minutes. At 9 a.m. my wife went back to reception and asked what was going on and also where was the manager. She was then told after a lot of discussion between the staff in spanish that the "rat was dead", we were then allowed to return to our room to collect our clothes only to find rat droppings in our clothes, shoes and my wifes handbag. Thirty six hours later we still had not seen the manager so my wife went to see him when he finally agreed to speak to her, she said we had a rat in our room to which he replied "yes I have called the pest control" she then asked if he had anything else to say he replied " I dont understand" she then pointed out that good manners would suggest he at least said sorry for what we had been through in his hotel he replied "Idont understand what you want me say" She then suggested he should try some decent customer relations he replied "Im sorry you feel this way" shrugged his shoulders and walked away. We never did get an apology from the manager or any member of staff. Perhaps it is normal practice at this hotel to share your room with a large rat.

• Liked — Quiet location,
  • Disliked — No entertainment, customer service,poor choice at meals
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank disgruntledscot
Northwich / Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

We stayed at the Alhaurin golf resort for 2 nights 3 days.

The rooms were very clean and spacious, cleaned every day + fresh towels.

The restaurant was good with friendly staff, large selection of food on offer.

We mainly booked here for the golf that were on offer, we were not disappointed, the course were immaculate, quite a tough course. Fairways and greens top notch.

Extremely hilly, but there is buggies available for hire, there is a really friendly atmosphere on this course golfers and non - golfers alike.

We are going back again next year in March though as weather in February can be slightly cool and wet.

• Liked — Clean and spacious
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

Great hotel if you want to get away from it all and have a relaxing time, the rooms were spotless, large bathrooms, 2 sinks. there were 4 people in our room and still plenty of room, never had a bed so big, (actually lost my husband in the bed). the pool area is great, pool not very big but big enough for a swim to cool off.

Food for breakfast was fruit, toast, pastries and full cooked if you wanted this, eveneing meal was buffet style and every night there was a different pasta dish, fish and meat dish, never had the same meal twice in a week, salads, pasta salads all laid out to help yourself to. I have a very fussy 11 year old and she tried everything, soup a couple of times a week on the menu.

Hotel reception were helpful in ordering taxi's. this hotel is remote and if you want a relaxing stay i can recommend this hotel.
we will be going back for sure

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sammarrk
#10 of 90 in Malaga
El Roble Holidays with Hot Tubs
El Roble Holidays with Hot Tubs
#1 of 10 in Alhaurin el Grande

Been to Hotel Alhaurin Golf Resort? Share your experiences!