“Taste of South Africa In Spain”
Review of Boma

Boma
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Alhaurin el Grande, Spain
“Taste of South Africa In Spain”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Lovely food, especially the curry, nice atmosphere and handy for the golf club. A good mix of holidaying families, golfers and residents, either prop the bar up or try the SA based food.

• Visited August 2013

“Lovely staff”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

The boma bar became our local when we stayed in the golf complex opposite. Lovely staff, lovely food. Felt really welcome even with 4 kids in tow!! Thanks

• Visited July 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Inconsistent experience and mixed feelings”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Normally when I eat at a restaurant I am very clear about whether I had a good meal or a bad meal. After paying the bill at Boma I left with mixed feelings.

It was a family meal, grandparents (who live in the region) my two kids and my wife. We wanted something different (to thank mum and dad for putting us up) to the usual fayre served up locally of Bar Restaurant Spanish / Tapas. Boma didn't disappoint with an ornate South African wood carving entrance good views with a drinks balcony and lovely all fresco dining atmosphere (informal).
The good parts
- we arrived without booking on clearly what was a busy evening for them. Even so their was service with a smile and after moving some tables / bookings around they managed to accommodate us for which we were grateful.
- our waitress was brilliant. Very cheerful and eager to please. My father mentioned he had seen on Trip Advisor that the steaks were not great so she went to great lengths to try and accommodate him with the right cut.
- my liver pâté starter and my ribs were good, my fathers steak was also good as was my sons chicken salad.
The bad parts
- you sensed they were a team struggling to keep up - they were full but actually it was only about 7 tables yet the two closest tables to us seemed to have to wait ages for their food. We appeared to get our food quickly compared to them.
- my mother and wife's curries were poor. The meat wasn't great and it wasn't really a curry in the traditional sense it was more meat in a small pot with little sauce with rice on the side. You felt it needed a thicker sauce and poppadoms or nan bread to accompany the sauce. The fig starters were also disappointing with my Mum saying there wasn't enough fig!
- the main feeling of disappointment was with the bill. We had two drinks each plus a bottle of house Rioja red, but the bill came to nearly 160 € . I felt this was expensive for the standard of food we were offered hence the mixed feelings. Really it was a value versus quality issue.

To put it into context we had a good family evening at Boma and they do have an atmosphere there which is different and certainly worth a try. Don't expect fine dining and do expect to pay a little over the top for what you are getting. Eyes wide open and all that...

To add perspective, two nights later we went to Pepés Bar Restaurant Spanish / Tapas in El Burgo and he had Venison and Fresh Fish and we had wine and drinks and it cost 80 € for six. Perhaps the moral is that the grass isn't always greener...

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank wallywalnut
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Yummy food!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Each time I have visited here the choices on the specials board are excellent. Usually a fish, meat and veggie choice. Very friendly and efficient staff and if you are a lover of puddings you will not be disappointed. The honeycomb ice-cream and lemon meringue are to die for!!

• Visited July 2013
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Taste of SA”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Very good restaurant showcasing Southern African dishes. Really enjoyed the 'potjiekos' and Cape Malay curry. Service very welcoming and friendly. Definitely worth a visit.

Visited July 2013