“Saint Rita Basilica...can not describe the feelings... real blessing”

Basilica di Santa Rita
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Cascia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have visited this holly place with my wife Rita. we know a lot about Saint Rita's life and miracles and we pray here prayers frequently. but being there is something else....you feel the greatness of humbleness and faith...closer to God. Cascia is a small village in a very nice area in Italy and it is almost far from everything. beautiful mountains and valleys. the basilica and the old Monastery are adjacent and located at the top of this hill. expect a lot of walking upwards. there are electrical escalators that makes it much easier to go up... which I suggest that you use it when going up but don't use it in your way down (unless you have personal reasons) in order to enjoy the place and pass through the village and experience the genuine experience, mingle with the villagers and shop souvenirs and buy local food from those beautiful humble small shops.
we visited on a Sunday and were lucky to enjoy some kind of parade done my the youth of the village with drums and other instruments walking behind a big nice picture for Virgin as a tradition of glorifying the Virgin.
you have to check the site to make sure you are there on time for the Monastery tour (it is free) that is done several times a day as per schedule (in Italian). the Basilica is huge and open all day where you can see Saint Rita kept there. don't miss to visit the Basilica inferiori that I s located below the new basilica where you can find another nun Maria Teresa Fasce kept there (looks as if sleeping same like saint Rita). to the left of the entrance to this church there is a small room where you can find the Eucharist, the place is so calm not crowded and perfect for prayer and meditation and opening your heart to God.
Saint Rita visit is a great spiritual experience that one can have... I have visited lots of shrines and holy places in various parts of the world, the only place, in my opinion, one can have a similar experience is Saint Charbel's Hermitage in Annaya Village in Lebanon.

16  Thank jamal-R

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I always had a dream to come and visit St. Rita of Cascia and see her room and shrine. Such an amazing experience ...

5  Thank Rita2313
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

it is really touching to see the body of santa rita! this what makes this place so special. u can see also the grape tree that santa rita has cultivated, u see also the engagement ring of the santa. moreover, the town is wonderful, all green so peaceful. when u go to the basilica dont forget to visit tge parental house of tge saint. its 10 min from basilica

2  Thank bitardona
Reviewed March 18, 2013

during our stay for two days in Assisi we were planning to visit Cascia. we try to get the train to spoleto and then the public tarnsportation bus from spoleto to cascia to visit santa rita . but after many search and as it was in winter time we could not find a good connection to acheive this trip. as we find that we must come very early and leave cascia very late with a lot of adventure during our trip final we find that it is the only way to get acar but we ddi not have our international driving license so we took a taxi for 150 euro . i think it was the only way to make .from our hotel in assisi to ste rita basilic in cascia 1h20 . we arrive at 2h45 thebasilic was open but the sanctuaire and every thing else souvenir shops cafe ... closed. the openong time was at 16h . so we visite

6  Thank TONIREINE
Reviewed March 12, 2013

As soon as we booked our vacation to Italy, going to the Basilica of St. Rita of Cascia was a definite plan on my "to do" list. I was not disappointed.

It takes time and patience to get to the shrine if you are relying on public transportation, as we did. We took a train from Rome to Spoleto, then connected on a bus which transported us to Cascia. This is a 3 hour trip, so be sure to plan ahead if you are going to visit.

The shrine is located at the very top of a mountain. Once the bus drops you off, you can either take a shuttle or walk up the winding road to the top, where the shrine is located. As it was raining quite heavily on the day we visited, we took the shuttle.

This was an amazing experience for us. I can't explain it - but there is a sense of tranquility and peace that you feel as you step on the grounds. Inside the church, the incorrupt body of St. Rita is on display in a glass tomb. The nuns who care for the saint leave several different prayer cards featuring St. Rita out for those who visit and would like to pray to the saint. They also disburse blessed rose petals that were grown from the stick that St. Rita planted when she was a sister at the shrine. There is no charge for the cards or rose petals, but you always have the option of leaving a cash donation at a drop box in the church located near where the cards are placed.

The church itself contains beautiful artwork on the walls and ceilings, many of St. Rita. It was absolutely gorgeous.

After we left the church, we shopped at the shrine's gift shop which sells many hundreds of souvenirs of St. Rita. Many, I have never seen before. If you plan on shopping here, be sure to bring cash, as they do not accept credit cards.

My only regret is that we didn't stay long enough because we had to catch the bus back to town. (There is only one bus that leaves in the afternoon. If you miss it, plan on staying the night.) The next time I visit Italy, I will plan to stay in Cascia for a couple of days in order to spend more time at the shrine and see everything I missed.

If you are a Catholic, or fond of St. Rita, be sure to include this in your travel plans when visiting Italy. There is nothing quite like this. I can't wait to return there on my next visit to Italy.

15  Thank WandaMaria