“Would not recommend, very overpriced for what they offer.”
Review of Armada Hotel

Armada Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Spanish Point
Cork, Ireland
“Would not recommend, very overpriced for what they offer.”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I booked a Easter Break for two nights for me and my girlfriend, we got a Easter break package for a standard room which included two breakfasts and a dinner.In total it cost me just over €300.

For the quality of the room, the service, and the hotel in general, the Armada Hotel is REALLY not worth it.

My experiences of the Armada Hotel were:
1. When I booked the room, I request and paid for a bottle of wine and bathrobes to be in my room for when we arrived. Neither were.
2. Twice more I had to ask at reception for the bathrobes until we finally got them.
3. Less then 5 minutes after checking into our room (and as were getting comfortable in our surroundings), a member of staff quite literally barged into our room (the person gave a quick single knock, opened the door, and walked straight in, all in the space of 3 seconds. The person did not say 'hello' or 'room service' or anything similar before entering the room. It looked like she was a manager of sorts and to be fair, she was very apologetic, although rightly she should have been).
4. I later enquired at reception as to the location of my phantom bottle of wine. The receptionist said that the wine was not suppose to be in my room for when I arrived, but instead would come with our dinner. Although I knew he was wrong on this, as the online booking clearly said it would be in my room, sa this was something i paid extra for, I was not going to start arguing over a €20 bottle of wine in front of my girlfriend (especially after already forking out over €300 on the room).
5. The following evening at our dinner, I asked the waiter for our bottle of wine. He had no notion of what I was talking about, so I told him what the receptionist told me. The waiter then went out to reception to enquiry for me. About 15 minutes later the waiter came back with the long awaiting bottle of wine. Clearly they realised the mistake they made at reception and told the waiter to just give me the wine. They did not acknowledged their mistake, nor did anyone apologies. It was clear they were hoping I simply would not realise their mistake, but by god I did, and I was not happy. It must be said though, the dinner and the breakfasts are great, lovely food.
5. The main light in our room was broken, I asked for it be fixed the second day while we were out, which they never did.
6. On one of the nights (a week-night no less!) two drunk and very loud girls had trouble getting into their room for about 20 minutes and they were quite loud. I assume they woke most people in rooms on and around the corridor, as we were. It was actually quite funny, as they first were trying for a good 10 minutes trying to get into clearly a wrong room as there key would not work. Then, a man came out, of what i assume was the door the girls were trying to get into, and the the girls proceed to argue with him for a another 10 minutes that he was in their room. Listening to the poor man trying to explain to the two drunk girls that they had the room was quite funny as the girls kept persisting that he was in their room. Actually I would love to read that persons review of their stay in the Armada Hotel! I think a member of staff finally came as someone directed them the poor girls to their correct room. Although i thought i was funny, that man could have had children in the room, and that would have been a very frightening experience for the poor children.

Also the room was not great, beds were comfy but the TV was small and had a poor choice of channels, there was no mini fridge, no thermostat, and the bath was quite small and disappointing for us.

Some pros of course, beds were comfy, food was good, the bar is nice. The area and scenery is beautiful two but there are many more better quality and cheaper hotels to stay in in west Clare. I definitely will not be going back there unfortunately, nor can I recommend the Armada Hotel.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mikey S
Co_ClareFiona, Manager at Armada Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor member,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your detailed review. We were pleased to read your nice comments on our food and choice of bars, also our scenic coastal location overlooking the Atlantic ocean. However, we were disappointed to read your comments on the pre-ordered wine and the interuptions during your stay as this would not be our usual standard of service. We do offer a variety of room types here to include our Tranquility Suites with oversized free standing baths to standard rooms with regular size baths. We do also feature mini fridges in some of our suites but as this is not a regular request from our guests and not a standard feature in hotels, we do not feature them in all of our bedrooms. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback which has been shared with our management team and staff and I hope that you will return to us at some future date. Please contact me directly on sales@armadahotel.com and I shall ensure that your requirements and room type are suited to your needs and that you have an enjoyable stay as many other Trip Advisors members have had.
Armada Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Polish first
Gorey, Ireland
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Excellent,good value break with wonderful food.The rooms were very comfortable,clean, and well heated for the time of year.We will certainly visit again, and will reccomend this hotel for value and comfort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor member,
Thank you for recommending the Armada Hotel to other Trip Advisor members. Delighted to read that you enjoyed our good food and found that we offered good value for money. We look forward to welcoming back to Spanish Point very soon again.
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Recently spent three nights at the Armada. It is a wonderful location to step away from it all & relax. The food is excellent. In fact the bar & carvery are on a par with the restaurant. We did not leave the hotel for any meals which speaks for itself. It is a very busy hotel on Saturdays as it is a very popular wedding venue. As a result the ocean view bar is not open when there is a wedding which is a pity as it is a lovely place to sit & relax, brighter than the traditional bar.
The service was excellent, friendly staff, lovely atmosphere.
Am really looking forward to returning mid week to sample more serenity in one of their ocean suites.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Trip Advisor member
Thank you for your lovely review on your recent stay in the Armada. Glad to read that you found our food to be excellent in our Pearl Restaurant, Johnny Burke's Bar and our Ocean Bar and that you enjoyed excellent service throughout your stay. Thank you for recommending us to others and delighted to read that you are planning a return visit to us. You will be most heartily welcome !
co mayo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a memorable, funny and excellent valentines night in this hotel on Feb 14 this year. We arrived with our two young kids who were delighted to find we were getting a present from the valentines tree on arrival and even more delighted with the box of chocolates presented! They had fun with the petals on the bed and were happy to be whisked away to the kids club for their first time. We were delighted to have a romantic valentines dinner which was really lovely, with great food and fabulous deserts. Service was excellent, and breakfast great. For an unplanned romantic night it turned out to be a great valentines for all!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view...stunning sea views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BridiCoMayo
Dear Trip Advisor member
Thank you for your lovely review on our Valentines Getaway Break. We had a fabulous response to this offer and some great compliments from our guests on the night, and it is indeed a pleasure for me to share your lovely review with all the team here too. We did try to do something a little different from the norm and I am so glad that you all enjoyed it as a family. We have some lovely family packages on offer for the summer to include surfing, admission to Cliffs of Moher & lovely days out, so hopefully we will be able to tempt you back to us over the coming few weeks to enjoy another break with us.
Looking forward to seeing you soon again,
Crossgar
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just home from a really relaxing break at the Armada. This hotel is set in a beautiful little unspoilt corner of Ireland. Our room was looking out onto the Atlantic ocean and although the decor was a bit tired the room was spotless and very comfortable.
Staff on arrival were very friendly and that was the case over our 3 day stay in every part of the hotel. Food was excellent at breakfast and the food in the restaurant and the 'Jonny Burkes Bar' was beautifully presented.
Will definately be recommending this hotel and will return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor member,
Thank you so much for your 5 star rating and for recommending us to other members. Glad that you enjoyed our seafront location and that you were able to savor the coastal views from your bedroom. Your compliments on the food you enjoyed throughout your stay, particularly in Johnny Burke's has been shared with our team of chefs who were delighted with your feedback.
Thank you for you kind comments also on our friendly and hospitable staff and we look forward to welcoming you back soon again to the Armada.
Kind regards
cork
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Had a lovely family stay here in March, the room we got was massive, with a bedroom / sitting room / and massive bathroom. The staff were very polite and the breakfast was massive with loads of choice. The only low point was the restaurant prices were a bit high, in my opinion, but would defo recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor member,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay in the Armada. Glad that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and that you would recommend our hotel to other guests. We do an extensive buffet breakfast and I am glad that this was to your liking. Our menus offer variety and different choices and pricing in the Pearl Restaurant, Johnny Burke's Bar and the Ocean Bar, so we hope that we have something to suit everyone. We are very pleased to read that you are planning a return visit and we look forward to giving you a great West Clare welcome when you arrive !
In the meanwhile, many thanks for your lovely review,
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We are a family of 2 adults, a toddler & a newborn. We arrived at the hotel & immediately checked in. We were not greeted, just asked what was our name. I handed over my visa & was handed a room key back. No pleasantries were exchanged. We were not told how to get to our room or what times were breakfast the next morning. Anyway we decided to get a quick bite to eat (which was excellent) & then head to our room. Well on arrival to our room I thought someone was having a laugh. We were given a double bedroom (room 251) & no travel cots. I had booked & confirmed by email a family room & requested 2 travel cots. I promptly went down to reception to advise them that they must have given me the wrong room in error. I was told this was my room, so I explained my booking & also mentioned my confirmation email (which I had saved). A lady asked me did I need a family room! I told her there was 4 of us & that was what i booked. So I was then given a key to room 190 to see was it ok. To my shock when I went to room 190 it was occupied. The man in reception who had followed me down to the room told me to take a seat in reception & I told him that I had to go get my husband who was still up in the 1st bedroom waiting with our 2 babies.
By the time we got back to reception we were told we would need to wait 20 minutes for our room. We were then shown to a bar area where we had to feed the girls as they were at that stage nearly an hour late being fed & were getting very distressed. I was very upset at feeding my 2 daughters their bedtime feed in a bar. Around where we were sitting was just filthy.
Anyway eventually our room was ready & much to my shock it was room 190 the room that I had previously viewed & that was occupied. The room was by far the smallest family room we have ever had & the room was far from clean. Only the fact we had 2 exhausted girls we would have went home. To top it off the shower was cold. Our daughters went to bed an hour & a half late.
The room was far from quiet & on 2 occasions during the night our room door was banged on. Also I was in my underwear after my cold shower & whatever look I gave there was 2 people outside our window looking in!
The breakfast room was far from clean the next morning. The windows were filthy as were the skirtings, floor etc. The breakfast was good. No bananas though for our toddler!
When we went to check out we were never asked did we enjoy our stay. We were just asked how would we like to settle our bill & that was it. Overall I felt customer service was very poor.
We will never ever stay in this hotel again.
To be fair I should mention a complimentary bottle of was sent to our room & while we were waiting a manager came to apologise. But no apology could make up for our girls being so upset.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank PDing
Dear Trip Advisor member,
Thank you for your recent review and for your kind comment on our excellent food. However, we were disappointed to read of your experience as you clearly did not receive our usual level of service. It does not state in your review what time your arrived to check in, but as a room had to be prepared quickly, i am wondering if it was before our official check in time and that may explain why the room was not ready for your family. I am also wondering if it was during Easter where we were full most nights and where our guests would not have left before the check out time due to it being a holiday period. I am truly sorry that you did not receive our usual friendly welcome or that you had to wait for your room to be prepared but I do hope that it doesn't deter you from holidaying with us again. Should you wish to return, please email me directly at sales@armadahotel.com and I shall help with the best room choice for your family and personally make the booking for you.
Thank you for your valuable feedback which has been shared with the Management and staff here.
Kind regards
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,507 reviews
Cliffs of Moher Hotel
Cliffs of Moher Hotel
#1 of 1 in Liscannor

Been to Armada Hotel? Share your experiences!