“good facilities, friendly staff, great breakfast, disappointing dining experience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fota Island Resort

Fota Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fota Island
Wexford, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed for one saturday night recently. very friendly staff, nice room, nice spa area let down by the absence of sauna or Jacuzzi. Very nice pool and separate pool with variety of jets, lazy river etc. Surprisingly the water was quite cold throughout. The steam room and rest area with hot beds made up for the lack of warm water!

The big let down in this hotel was the restaurant which is really an extension of the bar. The only obvious difference was the tablecloths on the tables. The set menu @ €45 lacked imagination and for the small variety of dishes available was poor value for money. There was also an a much better a la carte from which we could substitute dishes for the set menu by paying an additional charge based on the number of stars beside it. Most starters were an extra €3.50 and main courses averaged an extra €5-8. Even the desserts ranged from an extra €1.95 (for chocolate sauce to accompany a selection of ice cream) and an incredible extra €7.50 for baked alaska! While the quality of the food was fine, the method of pricing is overly complicated and in my opinion, the management need to have a re-think on this. The set menu @ €45 would be fine if it included a good variety, but to have variety, you can expect to pay €60+ for your meal here.
I would return to this hotel on the basis of the excellent breakfast but would travel further afield for the evening meal.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas Gerald B
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our facilities and services. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as our lavish breakfast available. I am disappointed however to hear that you did not find our menu choices satisfying, and I apologise that the pricing was confusing. We are always looking for ways to improve our restaurant services, and I have forwarded your concerns on to our restaurant team and senior managers.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your comments.

John O’Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Newry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

From the minute we drove through the front gates, we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday at Fota. Check in at reception was very quick, I particularly liked the individual check in areas. Reception staff are the first people you meet so it is important to get a good impression....they did not fail. friendly, efficient and heplful.

We were directed to our lodge and given two key cards for use to operate the barrier into the lodges, which was usually up anyway, and the front door of the house.

We stayed in one of the 3 bedroom Aviary Lodges. On entry there was a toilet/cloakroom area straight in front of you. There was a small handbasin with soap and towel, iron and ironing board and clothes horse along with plenty of storage.

The open plan kitchen/dining/sitting area was spacious and very tastefully decorated with two leather couches and coffee table, dining table and the kitchen was lovely with a gorgeous granite worktop, lots of storage, a great fridge, microwave and all the utensils and crockery you could want, including some I have never used in my life! There was also a washer/dryer and, even better, a dishwasher! There was a small supply of dishwasher tablets and a dishcloth and teatowel.

A very nice touch was the bowl of teabags/coffee/sugar and UHT portions of milk...a very welcome sight after 5 hours driving. The patio doors opened out to a small semi-enclosed area with wooden garden table and chairs which have, to be overly critical, seen better days but nevertheless were a nice addition. A parasol might have been useful too as we stayed there on one of the hottest weeks of the year!

There were plenty of supermarkets very close by and the reception staff will give you plenty of useful information and directions to wherever you need to go.

Upstairs were the three bedrooms, all with VERY comfortable beds and pristine white linen. There was a hairdryer in each room and LOADS of storage space. The third bedroom was fairly small but it still managed to house a double bed and wardrobe/dressing table. It was only used as a spare bed as I was 24 weeks pregnant and would get very warm and restless in the middle of the night and it was like a haven....lovely cool sheets...I fell asleep in about 10 seconds!

The bathroom and ensuite were smallish but in no way did it take away from the comfort of the house. Again, shampoo, conditioner and soap were provided and would be enough to do for a day or two. Towels were plentiful and of good quality.

There was a play area close to the houses, a couple of tennis courts and a large grassy area for general shenanigans, football, basketball etc.

The grounds were very extensive and extremely well maintained. There was also a kids club which we walked past everyday and eventually the children wore us down and we sent them for one day. It was €18 for the pair of them, I think it was 10.30 till 15.30 which gave us a few spare hours to explore the grounds and check out the Spa......ahhhh, the Spa. It was wonderful! I could go on about it all day but I won't bore you. I just had a pedicure as a lot of stuff wasn't reccommended during pregnancy but it was blissful and the 'Sanctum' where you go to relax after your treatment is like a haven. There you relax on a reclining sun lounger wrapped in your robe and a light tweed blanket while a lovely thoughtful therapist brings you some fresh fruit, yogurt, orange juice and iced water! The pool is great and its nice that there are specific times for family swimming so you know you're not getting on anyone's nerves with your 6 and 4 year old trying to see who can make the biggest splash.

We didn't eat in the hotel at all as we got up early, had breakfast, a swim and then headed away off all day. The bar and restaurant looked lovely though. There is a very nice restaurant called The Elms in Glounthane, close to the resort, they do a lovely carvery lunch and have a nice evening menu too. We fell in love with nearby Cobh which we went to most evenings just for a walk about, looking at the ships, having ice cream and letting the children have a good run about in the promenade park. We also had a lovely meal in a restaurant called the Quays.

Staff were, without fail, very courteous and helpful, it was a real pleasure to stay at Fota resort and that is why we will be returning this summer! Woo Hoo!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cathtomany
We are very delighted to hear your warm compliments, and that they enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad that you found your lodge comfortable and that you took advantage of our children’s play area. I am also thrilled that you had the chance to avail of our luxurious spa services.

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Fota Island Resort soon.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I just came back from a weekend away in the Fota Island Hotel & Spa. Myself and my two friends stayed there for a relaxing break to get away from our busy lives. We all enjoyed a spa treatment and I got a full Swedish massage from Alexandra. It was the best massage I ever got in my life. The staff in the hotel were very obliging and helpful from the very beginning where Trisha check us in to Jack in the bar who was a great help when selecting tasty cocktails.

We dined on the Saturday night in the restaurant and again the service staff especially Mary & Dave really looked after us. The food and ambience was beautiful. Also the breakfast was gorgeous the next day. Fantastic selection. Really would highly recommend the Fota Island Resort to any of my friends, family and colleagues. It definitely deserves the 5 star rating it has.

Linda McGrath
Carrigaline

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony which was overlooking the woods. Beautiful room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing such delightful comments on your stay at Fota Island Resort. Customer service and care are of the utmost importance to us. We are always proud to receive positive reviews from our guests. I am happy to hear that you were able to avail of a relaxing spa treatment, as well as enjoy our various dining options.

We hope to see you back at Fota Island Resort soon.

Shannon, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

We bought a coupon package for two , two nights B+B, one dinner and afternoon tea. Arriving on the Friday evening in horrible weather we were greeted by the concierge in a warm and friendly manner and brought over to the reception desk. I liked that the desk was low with two comfortable chairs for you (both) to sit on while the friendly receptionist goes through your reservation, very personal.
Once done the concierge jumps to attention offering assistance with luggage, admittedly we declined. The room was easy to find, our room was the standard offering, it was roomy, queen size bed, large bathroom with rain shower type shower. Plenty of towels etc. Only criticism might be one or two little maintenance jobs needed doing, only a critical eye would spot.
We had dinner booked for eight and we were sat at a nice table. Service was superb and food excellent, because we were on a voucher the supplements were explained and the menu was good and comprehensive. Food was presented very well, much effort went into the dish, I had tuna steak and the better half had the duck. Only criticism is that perhaps the restaurant lacked a little character, maybe due to the relative newness and muti-function the room performs.
The bedroom that night was very quiet, this was very welcome, although the excellent wine may have helped.
Breakfast was served in the same room as the evening meal but spills into the bar. Hot fried food is available, but the cold fruits, meats and cheese selection was very good. A short breakfast menu is also offered, I tried the fish and the better half tried pancakes. Coffee was served hot which was very welcome compared to the usual tepid.
The spa is superb, we actually forgot to try any treatments, we just sat in the main aqua spa room and relaxation areas.
The days coincided with the rugby and we were forewarned that viewing facilities would be less than satisfactory. With this we went to the golf club house some few yards away and that will be another review, save to say to try it for a snack. But no golf as the weather was inclement for me although a few brave souls tried it.
We left the kids at home, but the hotel did well cater with a play room and just down the road was the playground, a large number of young families were there that weekend but at no time did we feel overrun.
In summary it is what they say it is, personally I enjoy a bit more character served by those hotels founded on an old house or castle. We would go again, the weather was horrendous so perhaps the next time we will get out and around to explore the grounds.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
I am glad to hear that you found your stay at Fota Island Resort enjoyable. Thank you for your lovely feedback on our facilities and staff. We have noted your comments on the décor and will be sure to take these on board in our forthcoming plans for the resort.

We hope to have you stay with us again in the future. Thank you for leaving your kind comments.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

myself and my partner stayed for 2 nights b an b and evening meal and lunch on both days . on the first nights meal only one let down i had chicken very dry lucky it came with a sause . the rest of the meals breakfast lunch dinner very good on bith days. hotel is spotless and the staff could not be more helpfull very nice top marks . the leisure centre vas very nice and relaxing . this was our 2nd visit and we will be back . only one small gripe food is a small bit over priced .

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andy B
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your positive feedback on your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at our resort. We strive to make our guests feel welcome and relaxed.

Please visit us again on your future trips to Cork!

Regards,
John O'Flynn
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Stayed here for second time last night was very relaxing great service pool was lovely could have been warmer food was beautiful but a little cold when it arrived also a bit over priced but was fantastic ,,breakfast was beautiful some small aspects of room could have been improved ie skirting boards need repair and re painting but overall a good experience not so much a 5 star

• Stayed February 2014
Response:
Many thanks; we appreciate you taking the time to review our services.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay overall although I was sorry that you found your room was not up to standard. I have forwarded your concerns on to the appropriate maintenance staff who will ensure that these points are auctioned without delay.

We hope to see you back at Fota Island Resort soon.

Warmest regards,
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

It's almost a year since my visit to this hotel and it has been playing on my mind since.
My fiance and I took a weekend break here as a mid year treat. I was told the hotel had to be experienced, so I booked it.
We had a nice welcome at reception and our room was average,but clean.
We had dinner in the restaurant that evening,which left us unimpressed. The piano playing was most irritating after awhile as the key never changed.The menu had a poor selection and was way over priced!The water that was poured for us was completely cloudy in which I had to call the waitress, she apologised and changed it for us. The starter my partner had was fine,but both our main courses were so disappointing..Bland. I didn't opt for a dessert,my partner had the black forest gateaux,which was dissected into something not resembling a black forest gateaux. We expressed our disappointment to the waitress upon leaving.
In the hope of bettering our experience we went into the bar for a few cocktails. For a Saturday night there was no atmosphere in the place. Eventually a band started up so we looked for the bill. To our shock the cocktails had cost €11each..we had 6 between us! When I queried the barman he told me that the price changed at the weekends..that was the icing on the cake for me.
I skipped breakfast, but from what I hear it really was lovely.
Upon check out we did expressed our disappointment in the meal,just to hear a sorry about that. Also as I was paying for the bill,there was a charity donation on the bottom in which I hadn't been consulted about. I have no problem in donating to charity, of course I did,but the fact of the matter is that it was assumed and never even mentioned to me.
We have stayed in several 5 star hotels in Ireland and abroad and this really doesn't live up to it in our opinion. We even couldn't see the 5 stars wrote up anywhere which made us doubt it even more.
Unfortunately an overall disappointing and expensive trip for us.I doubt we'll ever go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen425
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns.

I am delighted to hear that you had a good experience at reception, but I apologise in regards to the rest of your visit. Our restaurant and bar often receive rave reviews, so I am disappointed that your experience did not live up to your expectations on that occasion. I hasten to add though that we have undergone huge changes in the year since you stayed. Our new owners are investing in all areas of the hotel and resort and have many exciting plans for the island, one of which came to fruition recently with the announcement of the Irish Open returning to Fota for the first time since 2002.

We hope that you will visit us again, and give us a opportunity to improve the impression you were left with. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Warmest regards,
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,282 reviews

Been to Fota Island Resort? Share your experiences!