“relaxing”

Fota Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fota Island
“relaxing”
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

myself and my partner stayed for 2 nights b an b and evening meal and lunch on both days . on the first nights meal only one let down i had chicken very dry lucky it came with a sause . the rest of the meals breakfast lunch dinner very good on bith days. hotel is spotless and the staff could not be more helpfull very nice top marks . the leisure centre vas very nice and relaxing . this was our 2nd visit and we will be back . only one small gripe food is a small bit over priced .

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andy B
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your positive feedback on your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at our resort. We strive to make our guests feel welcome and relaxed.

Please visit us again on your future trips to Cork!

Regards,
John O'Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Stayed here for second time last night was very relaxing great service pool was lovely could have been warmer food was beautiful but a little cold when it arrived also a bit over priced but was fantastic ,,breakfast was beautiful some small aspects of room could have been improved ie skirting boards need repair and re painting but overall a good experience not so much a 5 star

• Stayed February 2014
Response:
Many thanks; we appreciate you taking the time to review our services.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay overall although I was sorry that you found your room was not up to standard. I have forwarded your concerns on to the appropriate maintenance staff who will ensure that these points are auctioned without delay.

We hope to see you back at Fota Island Resort soon.

Warmest regards,
Ireland
Reviewed January 30, 2014

It's almost a year since my visit to this hotel and it has been playing on my mind since.
My fiance and I took a weekend break here as a mid year treat. I was told the hotel had to be experienced, so I booked it.
We had a nice welcome at reception and our room was average,but clean.
We had dinner in the restaurant that evening,which left us unimpressed. The piano playing was most irritating after awhile as the key never changed.The menu had a poor selection and was way over priced!The water that was poured for us was completely cloudy in which I had to call the waitress, she apologised and changed it for us. The starter my partner had was fine,but both our main courses were so disappointing..Bland. I didn't opt for a dessert,my partner had the black forest gateaux,which was dissected into something not resembling a black forest gateaux. We expressed our disappointment to the waitress upon leaving.
In the hope of bettering our experience we went into the bar for a few cocktails. For a Saturday night there was no atmosphere in the place. Eventually a band started up so we looked for the bill. To our shock the cocktails had cost €11each..we had 6 between us! When I queried the barman he told me that the price changed at the weekends..that was the icing on the cake for me.
I skipped breakfast, but from what I hear it really was lovely.
Upon check out we did expressed our disappointment in the meal,just to hear a sorry about that. Also as I was paying for the bill,there was a charity donation on the bottom in which I hadn't been consulted about. I have no problem in donating to charity, of course I did,but the fact of the matter is that it was assumed and never even mentioned to me.
We have stayed in several 5 star hotels in Ireland and abroad and this really doesn't live up to it in our opinion. We even couldn't see the 5 stars wrote up anywhere which made us doubt it even more.
Unfortunately an overall disappointing and expensive trip for us.I doubt we'll ever go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen425
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns.

I am delighted to hear that you had a good experience at reception, but I apologise in regards to the rest of your visit. Our restaurant and bar often receive rave reviews, so I am disappointed that your experience did not live up to your expectations on that occasion. I hasten to add though that we have undergone huge changes in the year since you stayed. Our new owners are investing in all areas of the hotel and resort and have many exciting plans for the island, one of which came to fruition recently with the announcement of the Irish Open returning to Fota for the first time since 2002.

We hope that you will visit us again, and give us a opportunity to improve the impression you were left with. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Warmest regards,
Reviewed January 29, 2014

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a very friendly porter who directed us to reception. They are very unusual reception booths! Very nice. The lady who checked us in was very pleasant and helpful and made dinner & afternoon tea reservations for us, noting was a problem.
The room itself was pretty basic, big bed, tea and coffee making facilities but not a sign of a biscuit! Mini bar was empty. No wow factor. The bathroom was the best part with lovely waterfall taps and large walk in shower. I was very surprised and disappointed that the corridor was so squeeky and noisey.Thankfully our stay was midweek so hotel wasn't so busy but I'd imagine that at a busier time it would be very disruptive of a good nights sleep.
We tried out the pool and thermal suite.We were kindly shown around where all the facilities were and then left to try them out. There were swimming lessons in a sectioned off part of the pool and in the open section were little kids splashing and diving with nobody policing it and the parents just sat at the side watching. We couldn't swim for the fear of getting knocked out by a pool bombing rogue child. Thankfully we did have thermal suite passes where it was a lot more relaxing, great variety of facilities.
We went for afternoon tea and the only thing I could fault was the fact that the tea was not real leaves.The staff were very helpful and couldn't do more for us. The food was delivered and explained,the selection was fabulously fresh,tasty and impressive. great job!
We went for dinner that evening in the golf club,service was faultless. We had full 3 courses for 2ppl inc a bottle of wine and coffee's and the bill came to approx 100E. You have to get in there early as they stop serving food at 6pm. The venison starter was AMAZING!
We had drinks in the hotel before bed and the small pub bottle of white wine was €7.45 which I think is on the pricey side, if you plan on having a few it would prob be best to buy a large bottle.
The breakfast was fantastic, Great selection. The staff were so helpful and offered to make fresh squeezed juice. The fruits we so fresh and delicious homemade muesli pots were also available. The cooked breakfast, even though it was on a buffet it was certainly not left to dry out. Scrambled egg was yum!
Overall our stay was great from start to finish, a couple of little things as pointed out above but overall we were very satisfied, we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We are truly appreciative of your warm comments and feedback.

I am always delighted to learn of our guests enjoying our services and facilities. I am glad you enjoyed your greeting at reception as well as your time in the Clubhouse, and that you had the chance to avail of our spectacular spa facilities. I am disappointed however that you were unable to enjoy your time in the pool. I apologise for the inconvenience, but I am happy you were able to benefit from our magnificent thermal suite. I have forwarded your concerns on to the appropriate staff members.

Thank you again for taking the time to submit your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm regards,
Balla
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I was attending a wedding at the resort and stayed overnight, my only mistake was I didn't stay longer. The staff were welcoming and attentive without being intrusive. The food was excellent and the room was comfortable with a lovely bathroom. Hope to avail of the spa on my next visit.

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay.

I hope you will visit us again soon and that you’ll have the time for our magnificent spa facilities.

Kind regards,
Ireland
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Just returned after our first overnight stay in Fota, a big disappointment, receptionist was very warm and welcoming on a miserably cold and wet day and the gas fire in the lobby was lovely but after that nothing great! Rooms are very poor, more like a typical 3 star hotel. The sheet on the bed had black marks on itThe hospitality tray was mediocre, no biscuits or snack of any sort. The bathroom is large and the walk-in shower lovely. Washbasin drain was partly blocked and should have been noticed by housekeeping as it started to fill immediately water was run and then gurgled when it did eventually drain. The creaking of the floors both in the room and all along the corridors was ridiculous in such an expensive hotel, not too many people walked along after 10.00 at night but if hotel was busy it would have been a very disturbed sleep.
Food choices were very poor, an expensive dinner in the restaurant or a packed bar area that was very noisy. Ended up getting to the golf club just in time for a 6.00 cut-off to place order. Food mediocre and service hopeless, we appreciate it may have been a busy Sunday but this is where the Irish Open is to be held later in the year!!! Breakfast had a great buffet with everything we have been offered in other 5 star accommodation. The only problem was we had a 'full Irish' and the sausages,bacon and soda farls were obviously being kept warm for a very long time! The scrambled eggs were delicious. The service was excellent and all the staff were friendly and looked after us well.
The swimming pool was ok, couldn't find the thermal pool and no staff around to show us so gave up and went back to our room. The thermal suite is signposted but could only find the loungers, tepidarium and steam room.
If we had been using a Living Social voucher we would have had a much better deal than just bed and breakfast and the hotel would have had less than half the money they were paid for our voucher which I find very disappointing.
Go to Castlemartyr, Muckross Park or Ashford Castle instead, would personally recommend any of these other hotels, they are 5 star!

Room Tip: No idea if there are any, maybe one of the suites might be 5 star.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bevsept
I am very appreciative that you took the time to submit your comments and concerns. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in reception; however I am disappointed that the rest of your stay did not meet your expectations.

I apologise that your room was not properly cleaned and maintained. I have forwarded on your comments to housekeeping and maintenance. I also apologise that you did not enjoy your time at the restaurant and bar, but I am happy to hear that your breakfast service was more enjoyable.

I hope that you visit us again to give us a chance to change your expectations of our service and facilities. I have forwarded along all of your concerns and feedback to the appropriate staff members, as we are always striving to improve upon our guests’ experiences.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We recently stayed here for one night. Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed by a very nice receptionist. It went downhill from there.
Our room on the first floor was ok, certainly not a 5*. There was damage to the skirting boards around the bathroom and it looked a little shabby, no mini bar etc. There were some complicated controls to turn on and off the tap in the bathroom which one would need a degree in physics to operate. Everytime we turned on the tap, we and the floor were soaked!!

We ordered our evening meal, lamb rogan josh, from room service and waited over an hour. What arrived were two plates of grizzle with some lamb attached. An awful dish, practically inedible. I could only eat a small amount and went to bed hungry.
Informed the receptionist the next morning about the tap. No apology.

We paid 99 euro on pigsback for the stay and I feel that because of this we were given the worst of everything.

The only saving grace was the staff tending the reception and room service. A very disappointing stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Shocath
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I am glad to hear that the reception and room service staff were helpful and friendly during your stay. We are always delighted to hear these comments, and I will pass on your compliments to our reception staff. However, I am disappointed to hear that your room and your meal were not up to your expectations. I apologise for this, and have passed on your concerns to the appropriate staff members.

Thank you again for your feedback and your comments which have been taken into consideration. I hope you will visit us again so that we can have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Kindest regards,

Centre
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork

Been to Fota Island Resort? Share your experiences!