It's almost a year since my visit to this hotel and it has been playing on my mind since.
My fiance and I took a weekend break here as a mid year treat. I was told the hotel had to be experienced, so I booked it.
We had a nice welcome at reception and our room was average,but clean.
We had dinner in the restaurant that evening,which left us unimpressed. The piano playing was most irritating after awhile as the key never changed.The menu had a poor selection and was way over priced!The water that was poured for us was completely cloudy in which I had to call the waitress, she apologised and changed it for us. The starter my partner had was fine,but both our main courses were so disappointing..Bland. I didn't opt for a dessert,my partner had the black forest gateaux,which was dissected into something not resembling a black forest gateaux. We expressed our disappointment to the waitress upon leaving.
In the hope of bettering our experience we went into the bar for a few cocktails. For a Saturday night there was no atmosphere in the place. Eventually a band started up so we looked for the bill. To our shock the cocktails had cost €11each..we had 6 between us! When I queried the barman he told me that the price changed at the weekends..that was the icing on the cake for me.
I skipped breakfast, but from what I hear it really was lovely.
Upon check out we did expressed our disappointment in the meal,just to hear a sorry about that. Also as I was paying for the bill,there was a charity donation on the bottom in which I hadn't been consulted about. I have no problem in donating to charity, of course I did,but the fact of the matter is that it was assumed and never even mentioned to me.
We have stayed in several 5 star hotels in Ireland and abroad and this really doesn't live up to it in our opinion. We even couldn't see the 5 stars wrote up anywhere which made us doubt it even more.
Unfortunately an overall disappointing and expensive trip for us.I doubt we'll ever go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fota Island Hotel & Spa is one of Ireland’s finest five star resort properties. Just 15 minutes from Cork City Centre, 20 minutes from Cork International Airport and 2 hours from Dublin, it offers 131 bedrooms and suites overlooking the surrounding 800 acres of woodland and championship-standard golf courses. Tennis, running trails and a world class spa - with 18 treatment rooms, swimming pool, hydrotherapy suite and 24-hour fitness room - are just some of the many leisure facilities available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Cancelon, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fota Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fota Island Hotel Fota Island
- Sheraton Fota Island Hotel
- Sheraton Cork
- Fota Island Sheraton
- Sheraton Hotel Cork