“An amazing hotel, but little things do let it down”
Review of Fota Island Resort

Fota Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fota Island
Ireland
“An amazing hotel, but little things do let it down”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the sheraton thouroughly. The staff were friendly, and although we arrived early, everything was ready for us. However the receptionist stood up to hand us our key cards and gave us directions to our room, which was a bit unprofessional and not particularly 5 star. Our suite was beautiful, with modern marble bathrooms and with a massive deck area It was an extremely generous size and the beds were so comfortable! (which you can also buy). We ate in the hotel only for breakfast in the fota island restaurant, which was adequate. The room, I thought was quite tacky for a 5 star hotel. The cove (formal dining room)was also a dissappointment, the room was bare and very quiet, so we decided to eat in cork city, which is only a 20 minute drive away, but a dissappointment. The location may I point out though, was to the east of cork, while scenic places in cork like Kinsale and Schull are west cork, so expect longer travelling, as there is not much to do in east cork. The pool and hydrotherapy suite was magnificent, as was the spa. The hotel also has beautiful lodges suitable for families, making the luxurious experience more affordable. The resort is a perfect location for young families, with the fota island wildlife resort around the corner. I would reccomend this hotel to everyone and will certainly be going back soon!

• Liked — The spacious room, friendly staff and comfortable beds!
  • Disliked — The location was a bit out of the nicer places of cork, and the restaurants were boring.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed July 20, 2008

Stayed here for one night at the start of June. The minute we arrived we were in love with the place.The hotel is only opened a year or so. We went to the room and it was fab.The bathroom was so big it even had its own seperate shower and seperate bath. We ate in the bar that evening as we were starving and we couldn't wait for the restaurant to open.What we had was lovely. Could not fault anything about it. The hotel also has a spa and lesiure facilities.We used the pool but we found it a bit on the chilly side.Other than that it was grand. We also had treatments booked and what we had was lovely. We were not rushed and we could have stayed there all day. If you have children and are staying here the zoo is not that far away and you dont have to be a child to go, they also have a fine golf course. Overall I would stay here again.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008
barnsley
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We had a lovely break at this hotel, I booked the hotel direct with Alex and she was very friendly and professional in dealing with my booking. We booked a great offer via Travelzoo which included breakfast an upgrade if available and use of Hydrotherapy suite. When we arrived we were very impressed with the hotel both externally and internally. We were checked in by a very friendly female member of staff, we could see the hotel was busy with a wedding party so therefore an upgrade wasn't possible, however we were very impressed with check in as she went out of her way to obtain an upgrade for us to a premier room. This room was fantastic very modern clean and large with a king size comfortable bed, the bathroom was equally large with seperate rainshower and bath. Lots of fluffy white towells, good quality bathrobes and slippers. We were so impressed we didn't want to leave the hotel so cancelled our evening meal in Cork and booked into the Cove hotel restaurant instead. The meal was lovely and again the service from Laurent was excellent. There were only a few couples in that evening which was a shame but although excellent we felt as the hotel was in such a lovely setting the restaurant would be even better with views like the family restaurant the Fota.

We relaxed in the Hydrotherapy suite and the pool which is a really good size for a hotel. My partner used the fitness suite which again was excellent and I booked last minute for Spa treatments. Again I was impressed to be booked in at late notice and again staff were excellent, friendly and personable. They even gave tips on best places to visit in the area. The staff were so very friendly even whilst working under pressure on a very busy day in the spa for them.

Breakfasts in the Fota restaurant were excellent buffet style with lots of choice. This is a lovely restaurant with scenic views and terrace.

We visited nearby Kinsale, a quaint town with lots of good reataurants Fishy Fishy and Jolas are recommended. We had intended to travel further but as the hotel was so lovely and with fantastic service, after a long drive from Dublin it was just what was needed to relax and unwind. This hotel cannot be faulted for its lovely location, views and excellent levels of service received from all staff from check in to departure. Often when I travel, and as a travel agent I travel alot, I feel the hotels are ok but this hotel exceeds expectations which is not usually the case. We had a lovely break and will definately return.

• Liked — Everything, lovely modern hotel with high levels of service, wonderful spa
  • Disliked — Liked everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Co. Cork, Ireland
Reviewed June 6, 2008

Myself and my three sisters brought our mum to stay at the Sheraton Fota Island hotel last Saturday 31st May as a birthday treat. From the minute we arrived until we left we had a fantastic time. The staff were all so pleasant, helpful and friendly, they couldn't do enough for us and carried out their duties with a smile.

We spent the full 24hrs in the hotel, starting with bar lunch which we had sitting outside in the sunshine as the weather was wonderful. We used all the facilities, spa, pool, hydrotherapy pool etc which are great. Dinner in the hotel was excellent, we left cleared plates all round! We started the next morning with a swin and did justice to the amazing breakfast. We must have spent a leisurely hour over it, finishing with coffee on the terrace, but nobody rushed us.

We left feeling totally pampered and special and are so glad we picked this hotel for our treat. We had to drag ourselves home, but we'll be back, either seperately or together (maybe both!)

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Shivy_Cork
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 3, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed for 3 nights in a premier suite over the June bank holiday weekend. My impressions of this hotel were marred by several unsavoury events:
Firstly, on the day of arrival I enquired in the spa about the possibility of booking a treatment and was told the spa was booked up weeks in advance. When I asked how people who were staying in the hotel for a weekend were supposed to use the spa, I was told (and I stress told) that I would have been advised on booking to pre-book the spa. I quite clearly wasn't advised of this at all during any of my conversations with staff. Also, we used the hydrothrerapy suite (complimentary with the room) and several of the water treatments were broken. If we had paid the standard €25 per person we would have be rather annoyed.

Secondly, the slippers in our room were soiled which might be a small thing but was not pleasant.

We did not eat in the restaurants for evening dinner but did eat lunch in the bar which was pretty awful.

On the first night there was a wedding reception in the hotel and we could clearly hear the music in our room. I rang reception and was told that it would be continuing until 1am. I did not expect to have to put up with noise distrubance in a 5 star hotel.

However, the worst incident came when we attempted to pay. In the week leading up to our stay I had spoken to serveal memebers of staff regarding the price of our upgrade. I was given incorrect details and this was only made apparent 2 days before our trip. The hotel said they would honour the incorrect amount and I had this put in writing (thank God). On paying we were issued a bill which did not reflect the amount that had been agreed. I began to explain this to the girl at reception and this resulted in a row back and forth with her about the bill. I was mortified by this and even when I showed her the email she still treated us as if we were attempting to cheat them. She glared at me and said suspiciously "well, can I keep a copy of this then?", referring to the email print out. I found this embarassing and unacceptable. I have no idea why the agreed amount could not have been entered into the system so it was clear when our details were pulled up. This would have saved a lot of trouble.

Some things that wre good: staff were generally friendly and the room was pretty nice.

Would I recommend this hotel - absolutely not.

• Liked — The location - fota island is lovely
  • Disliked — The treatment we were sunjected to when paying
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SunnyEve
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 22, 2008

A group of us booked rooms at this hotel for 2 nights each in May.

Problems started at check in where my sister and her 17 year old son were given a king sized bed rather than a twin room, despite this being confirmed twice as a twin room in advance of arriving. She was reluctantly given a larger room and a pull out bed for her son as the pull outs don't fit in the regular sized rooms. A double sized sheet was put onto her bed which meant that from the knees down she slept on a bare mattress ~ very bizarre!

I had organised a birthday cake for my mother (who is dairy intolerant), so rather than put the hotel to any trouble I baked a carrot cake with a lime dressing and brought it with me. They wouldn't give us a knife and napkins to cut the cake and insisted on bringing it into the kitchen to cut themselves. When the cake came back out the barman told me that the chef had scraped all of my 'cream' off and replaced it with fresh cream because he thought that someone might swallow one of the small decorations on the top!!! When I explained that this now meant that the 'birthday lady' could not eat her own cake it was met with a shrug.

We went on to a litany of other problems that the hotel in fairness tried to correct but when you are paying premium prices at a so called 5 star hotel you get a bit sick of constantly complaining. We are an easy enough family to please but there were issues daily with the hotel.

Leaving the problems aside I think that I would agree with other reviewers and say that this hotel is a 4 star at best. We have stayed many times at Hayfield Manor in Cork and the Merrion Hotel in Dublin and they are 'true' 5 star hotels.

We used the Spa and that was very nice. Again though, we would have been disappointed to have been charged an extra €25 each to use the much hyped walking river!!

I would recommend this hotel if you had either never stayed at a 5 star before so had no expectations or if you got a great deal on the room price, other than that try one of the other many beautiful hotels in the area.

• Liked — Very comfy beds
  • Disliked — That they are masquarading as a 5 star!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Curvy_Vixen
Ireland
Reviewed May 20, 2008

In all we booked 4 double rooms plus friends booked two nights, the total stay of which amounted to 10 nights revenue of which my husband payed for 6. As a result we had certain expectations.

The menu in the Fota restaurant wasn't as varied as i expected it to be especially for a 5 star hotel. So finding something diferent to eat on two consecutive evenings was quite difficult. Consiquently we ate out on the third evening.

We had arrived on the 16th of May which proved to be a lovely day. Saturday the 17th was a busy day in the hotel due to First Communions which resulted in stupid things happening.
My family arrived Saturday, One of my daughters was given a king size bed and the top sheet was too short, it only reached as far as her calf. She ended up writing a note the next morning for room service (it should never have been put on the bed) and they promptly changed it for her.
We tried to get a table in the Amber Lounge for lunch checking with them a half an hour later my daughter was told by a male member of staff "they were aware of the situation". After initially refusing to serve food outside they relented and brought table cloths out and took our orders.

The evening meal also went wrong, the kitchen only sent 3 of the 10 meals out having waited awhile l called a waitress over only to discover there had been a mix up in the kitchen and they had started serving another table. I requested the 3 meals be returned to the kitchen until they were all ready to be served together. The same three meals were brought back to the table and were cold (1 pasta dish, 1 tuna meal and 1 mixed grill) Fresh pasta was brought out for my husband but my same piece of cold tuna (there was a small piece missing where l had originally tasted it) was served on a fresh salad. I sent it back for the 3rd time, they then cooked a fresh one.
Floor staff were brilliant, shame the same couldn't be said for the kitchen. We made arrangements to pick up the bill which was checked and approved by management or so we thought, but this also was billed incorrectly and had to be followed up again on Sunday.

Breakfast on Monday morning was quite disapointing and sparse compared to the variety of the weekend, i can understand that there are less guests but there could have been slightly more amounts laid out.

The final icing on the cake was l had booked 2 treatments weeks ago for myself in the spa (which is lovely) but apparently one treatment was missing off the system. Instead of leaving the hotel feeling relaxed and pampered i had finally got annoyed and upset which resulted on it putting a shadow over the whole weekend.

I will certainly remember my 60th birthday that's for sure.
It's a pity because although it's NOT a pretty building from the outside it's lovely inside and barr one or two members of staff the rest of them are amazing.

• Liked — spa
  • Disliked — Bath sheets, slippers and robes inconsistent
  • Stayed May 2008
Centre
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork

Been to Fota Island Resort? Share your experiences!