“Theft/Nightmare stay/Unprofessional staff”

Fota Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fota Island
“Theft/Nightmare stay/Unprofessional staff”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

After a lovely stay in fota in June this year my partner and I returned to stay last weekend for his birthday. After a nice day we went to the bar at 9pm for a drink. With the weather nice we moved outside for 20 mins. Unfortunately my boyfriend left his wallet tucked away by accident in the chair. When we returned and realised the misplacement the wallet had been stolen. Granted the hotel are not responsible for the bad actions of other people but their unprofessionalism and coldness has left us very upset. There were 5 barmen on duty that night. Not 1 came to help us when we informed them of the situation. The bar manager suggested we go around the bar and ask the customers!
The wallet turned up in the corridor to the toilets minutes later,less €220.The hotel manager informed us he would make investigations and after waiting over an hour he did not return. The thing that struck me the most was the lack of CCTV cameras. There is no CCTV covering any of the lounge (only the tills) , the outside decking and also there is no CCTV in the corridor on the way to the toilets. Had this been the case the situation would have been solved straight away. After no action/update I finally rang the guards who arrived ASAP and informed us that a similar situation took place at the hotel previously, and that the hotel had been advised to install CCTV throughout.
The hotel took no responsibility and no empathy for an incident that took place in their hotel. Surely your belongings should be safe!!! There was an extreme lack of customer service and a blasé attitude. On check out the manager had again disappeared and we were handed our full bill with no gesture despite an awful experience. In general the hotel is far from 5 star with children roaming the bar and deck at 11pm. Hardly appropriate for a relaxing weekend and also against the law.
Our stay was ruined and the complete lack of customer service from the hotel and the manager as left a bad taste in our mouths.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Pamelalan
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Pamelalan,

This is not a true and accurate reflection of what happened during your recent stay at Fota Island Resort. When a situation like this occurs we get angry and upset and I feel it is unfair to vent your anger towards the staff here at Fota Island Resort. On the night in question staff did everything in their power to locate the missing wallet.

It is very unfortunate that something like this occurred during your stay and we continue to work with the local guards and your partner in order to resolve this issue.

John O'Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The resort looks 5 star but service is 3 star. Catering for a party o 15, there was 1 waiter, the food was terrible, the pizzas looked like a 5 year old had made them and the 3 people walked out.
The concierge service was excellent, asked for twin beds got single king bed, toilet door wouldn't close, stayed ajar.
Golf course and club house was very good .. eat here if you can.
Clarify everything before you book
The Food & Beverage Manager was excellent in resolving the issues.

Room Tip: Make sure you check the rooms before to accept.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at our resort.

It delights me to hear you found our concierge service to be so helpful. They will really appreciate hearing this. It also pleases me to hear you had a lovely time at our club house. Our golf course is spectacular having hosted the Irish Open on two occasions so it is well worth the visit.

I’m sorry to hear of your experience in the hotel. I will be sure to speak to all those involved to insure it won’t happen again. I’m glad to hear our Food and Beverage Manager looked after you and made sure the rest of your stay was pleasant.

I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future.

Cork
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The pool and changing rooms were full of children even at 7pm. This hotel & spa is a lot more geared towards families with small children than a relaxing spa break for adults. The rest of the hotel is excellent, food & service was very good.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent visit to Fota Island Resort.

During the summer period we do extend the children’s pool time as more families are staying with us. The times are 9am to 12 noon and 4pm to 7pm. We try to accommodate all guests who stay with us; those with families and those without.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay at our resort and that you found our service and food to be excellent. I will pass on your comments to our chefs as they love to hear that guest have enjoyed their meals.

I do hope you consider visiting us in the near future.

Wicklow
Reviewed July 5, 2013

we stayed in the lodges family of five. amazing standard perfect location. my advice as mother of 3 sons ranging from 16 - 6 stay here it has everything for the whole family. the gym is great and the lodges are near a playground our 6 year old could play in safely. perfect location

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at Fota Island Resort. It is really appreciated.

I am delighted to hear you had a wonderful time. Our lodges are perfect for families; a home away from home. This summer we have a kids camp taking place so it is perfect for families who are staying in the resort as it keeps the children occupied.

I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future and that you have an even more enjoyable experience.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Arrived with a hungry six year old at the end of breakfast but too early for lunch. I asked the manager for a suggestion as to best place to find food. He took me to the breakfast room and said just get her whatever she would like to eat... No charge as I was towards the end of service ..it was a thoughtful gesture

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent visit to our resort.

I’m delighted to hear you were well looked after by staff. I will be sure to inform the manager of your kind words. It’s our aim to provide guests with a friendly atmosphere and we try to meet all their needs. I’m glad you got to experience this.

I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future.

John O’ Flynn
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed July 2, 2013

we stayed last weekend 29/06/2013. it was very enjoyable ,built in a very nice setting . the weather was super when we stayed.staff are great ,bar food top class.one small complaint just one chair in the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at Fota Island Resort.

I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable visit. It pleases me to see that you found our staff to be great, they are always trying to be as helpful as possible. I will pass on your comments to our chefs as they love to hear that guests have appreciated the effort that goes in to making their meal.

I will pass on your comments regarding the chair situation in your room.

I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future and that you can relieve your past experience.

John O’Flynn.
Dublin
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The exteroir of the hotel looks more like an office building than a 5 star hotel, the interoir was nice but again not 5 star. Staff could not have been more friendly and the food in the bar & restaurant was amazing. Not a whole lot to do around the area, but definately enough for 2- 3 days.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is really appreciated by all at Fota Island Resort.

I am delighted to hear you found our staff to be so friendly. Our chefs here at the hotel work very hard to provide guests with wonderful food and I am glad you experienced this. I will pass on your comments to those concerned.

I hope you visited our spa during your stay and that you managed to play a round of golf.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fota Island
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,364 reviews

Been to Fota Island Resort? Share your experiences!