“More like a creche than a 5 star hotel”
Review of Fota Island Resort

Fota Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fota Island
Cork
“More like a creche than a 5 star hotel”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The pool and changing rooms were full of children even at 7pm. This hotel & spa is a lot more geared towards families with small children than a relaxing spa break for adults. The rest of the hotel is excellent, food & service was very good.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent visit to Fota Island Resort.

During the summer period we do extend the children’s pool time as more families are staying with us. The times are 9am to 12 noon and 4pm to 7pm. We try to accommodate all guests who stay with us; those with families and those without.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay at our resort and that you found our service and food to be excellent. I will pass on your comments to our chefs as they love to hear that guest have enjoyed their meals.

I do hope you consider visiting us in the near future.

John O’Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Wicklow
Reviewed July 5, 2013

we stayed in the lodges family of five. amazing standard perfect location. my advice as mother of 3 sons ranging from 16 - 6 stay here it has everything for the whole family. the gym is great and the lodges are near a playground our 6 year old could play in safely. perfect location

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at Fota Island Resort. It is really appreciated.

I am delighted to hear you had a wonderful time. Our lodges are perfect for families; a home away from home. This summer we have a kids camp taking place so it is perfect for families who are staying in the resort as it keeps the children occupied.

I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future and that you have an even more enjoyable experience.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Arrived with a hungry six year old at the end of breakfast but too early for lunch. I asked the manager for a suggestion as to best place to find food. He took me to the breakfast room and said just get her whatever she would like to eat... No charge as I was towards the end of service ..it was a thoughtful gesture

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent visit to our resort.

I’m delighted to hear you were well looked after by staff. I will be sure to inform the manager of your kind words. It’s our aim to provide guests with a friendly atmosphere and we try to meet all their needs. I’m glad you got to experience this.

I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future.

John O’ Flynn
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed July 2, 2013

we stayed last weekend 29/06/2013. it was very enjoyable ,built in a very nice setting . the weather was super when we stayed.staff are great ,bar food top class.one small complaint just one chair in the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at Fota Island Resort.

I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable visit. It pleases me to see that you found our staff to be great, they are always trying to be as helpful as possible. I will pass on your comments to our chefs as they love to hear that guests have appreciated the effort that goes in to making their meal.

I will pass on your comments regarding the chair situation in your room.

I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future and that you can relieve your past experience.

John O’Flynn.
Dublin
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The exteroir of the hotel looks more like an office building than a 5 star hotel, the interoir was nice but again not 5 star. Staff could not have been more friendly and the food in the bar & restaurant was amazing. Not a whole lot to do around the area, but definately enough for 2- 3 days.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is really appreciated by all at Fota Island Resort.

I am delighted to hear you found our staff to be so friendly. Our chefs here at the hotel work very hard to provide guests with wonderful food and I am glad you experienced this. I will pass on your comments to those concerned.

I hope you visited our spa during your stay and that you managed to play a round of golf.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future.

waterford
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for 1 night as I was attending a wedding here. This was my second time staying at the hotel and whilst an improvement on my first stay, the hotel still has a way to go in perfecting it's 5 star. My first time was 18 months ago.
First off - as a venue for a wedding reception, it was perfect. The setting, the service, the food was fantastic and def gets the 5 star rate. The weather and no doubt the bride and groom's input had an impact on the day. But the food & service was top class.
Service of the staff - my first visit to the hotel I found the overall staff very rude and distant, especially the waiting staff both at lunch, dinner and breakfast. This time round, staff were great. Very pleasant and helpful.
Food - much better than last time, especially the breakfast. I actually got my poached eggs this time. Last time I asked 3 times and never got them!. There was more variety this time round.
Rooms - this is where I was let down. Room was very poor. My parents also stayed and I had a look at their room which was the same. I think it's time to hire the painters! These rooms are not 5 star and need a bit of TLC. The weather that weekend was very hot and the AC was not working. The room was unbearable to sleep in. we got a fan brought to our room which was held together with tape - and not one bit safe. Shower wouldn't work and I had to go to pool area for a shower. The wedding was a Saturday and from talking to other guests the problem with the AC was there since Friday (it wasn't just our room). An engineer should have been called sat morn!
In relation to the Spa / pool - excellent and recommend for a girly treat.
Overall, unless I was guaranteed a proper 5 star room I wouldn't be going back to stay as the price for the rooms are too high based on their quality. However, I will go back to the spa for a treat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the hotel entrance and not one of the disabled rooms. If going during th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tracey m
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is really appreciated here at Fota Island Resort.

I’m pleased to hear you had a wonderful time at the wedding. We have a very hard working wedding team here at our resort that ensures every guest has a great time. I’m glad that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly during your stay.

Thank you for your comments on our rooms. I will be sure to discuss them with staff at the resort. We want guest to have a peaceful and relaxing stay and anywhere we can improve will aid this.

I hope you do consider visiting us again in the near future .

Fort Knox, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was the first stop on my families recent trip to Ireland. It was definitely a great way to start out our "holiday". Situated on beautiful Fota Island, the resort leaves no doubt that you have indeed landed on the Emerald Isle. Although not a golfer myself, I was quite tempted to pick up the sport while winding through the course en route to the resort. Our mornings began with a delicious Irish Breakfast Bar, as well as fruits, cereals, and a full menu of additional items a la carte (all included in the cost). When we weren't travelling, our days were filled with relaxing sessions in the sauan, heat therapy, and water therapy rooms. I really can't think of words to describe these. All I can say is they were like nothing I had ever imagined before. We also took advantage of its proximity to Queenstown, Cork, and Blarney.

All in all, it was a great stay, and we certainly plan on returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us wonderful feedback on your recent stay at our resort. I am thrilled to hear you had such an enjoyable time.

Our golf course is one of a kind having hosted the Irish Open on two occasions. Hopefully on your return visit you can avail of our golf lessons that take place at our golf academy.

I’m glad to see you experienced many things whilst at our resort, including our spa. Fota Island Resort is located near so many interesting places, including Cork City which is only a 15minute drive.

I hope you do consider returning to our resort in the near future and that your trip will be even more enjoyable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fota Island
Centre
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork

Been to Fota Island Resort? Share your experiences!