“First class resort”
Review of Fota Island Resort

Fota Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fota Island
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at one of the Courtyard Lodges as a change from hotel accommodation. The facilities were very good indeed with all we needed for a pleasant 4 day stay. We decided to eat our meals in for 3 of the 4 nights and the kitchen had all the facilities needed. If anything the electrical gadgets were more complicated than need be, but that’s how things are these days, no simple on off switch anymore! Our only small criticism was that the beds in both rooms were 4’ 6” and not 5’ as is the normal minimum these days. Also although there is internet access in the lodge either on the TV (which you have to pay for and use a stupid keyboard) or via a cable to your PC there is no Wi-Fi in the lodge. For this you have to go up to the hotel foyer and use the free Wi-Fi available there.

We used the pool and the hydrotherapy suite in the hotel and I have to say that the hydrotherapy suite is the best I have ever come across – anywhere. It is magnificent and a must for any adults staying at either the hotel or lodges.

All told it was a very enjoyable experience and one we would certainly recommend.

1  Thank PANDA5661
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay. I am delighted to hear you and your wife had a wonderful stay in one of our lodges.

I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding the Wi-Fi and beds to those concerned.

I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable experience at our spa. It is a fantastic facility and we strive to make all guests feel relaxed and refreshed when they avail of the range of services we offer.

I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future and reliving your past experience.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We booked this hotel on a special deal which included 2 nights, a dinner in the golf club, an afternoon tea and Spa voucher. We thoroughly enjoyed it all. Our room was upgraded to provide twin beds and we had lovely robes. Bathroom had a nice big bath and shower. TV had all the channels. Beds were really comfortable. Air conditioning was good. Everything available that you would want for breakfast, including freshly made pancakes. Good service. Delicious afternoon tea (let them know if you don't want fish as they give you open salmon sandwiches and will change to chicken or turkey). We had the 'tea' instead of lunch. Spa was good. We enjoyed the thermal pool and had wonderful facials. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The only problem was the weather. as it was very wet.

Room Tip: If you get a room by the parking lot use the air conditioner, as it can get noisy of an evening when...
1  Thank Rhodesian57
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. I am delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay at Fota Island Resort. We aim to provide the best possible service and I am glad to hear you received this.

Afternoon tea is a real speciality at the resort and it is great to hear you enjoyed it. We try our best to accommodate guest’s needs and I am glad you experienced this.

I will pass on your lovely comments to staff members as they love to hear guests have had a fantastic stay.

I hope you consider returning to Fota Island Resort for an even more enjoyable stay and hopefully the sun will be shining!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed 2 nights lately while attending a wedding. Wedding meal was fantastic and service was great so would easily recommend to anyone planning a big day here.

Staff were also fantastic at various points. Was asked twice on my way to the front door of hotel if I needed help with my luggage - to which I declined as I would have fallen over if unbalanced! Check in was handled well by very friendly girl and the private booths are a nice touch.

Breakfast on both mornings was excellent, great choice of hot and cold options, fresh fruits, juices, etc...

My down points are this: Bedroom did not have a 5 star feel to it, it was just lacking a small bit to make it something special. Also, while I'm aware that certain rooms have to cater for wheelchairs/disabled, the bathroom in our room had bars all over and touch screens for taps which varied between over sensitive and under sensitive. Also, the shower screen had been removed probably to allow wheelchair access, which meant the entire bathroom floor flooding when showering making it hard to go to the toilet or use the sink for the next hour! It really felt like a toilet in a hospital room and not a 5 star hotel. We would have requested a room change were it not for the fact we were attending a wedding and needed to get downstairs quickly. Also disappointing not to have a bath in the room as well as a shower. Again, would have felt this would be standard in most 4 / 5 star hotels.

Also, food in the lounge was very expensive, €15 for caesar salad and same for a club sandwich. The food was nice but not for the price being paid.

Overall though, the staff at this hotel are plentiful and well trained, and you get the feeling that each of them know what they are doing.

Room Tip: Request a room with bath and shower and one not adapted for disabled use unless necessary.
1  Thank Expect_quality_2

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. I’m delighted to hear you had a fantastic time at the wedding. It pleases me to see you found our staff so helpful and friendly. We take great pride in making our guests feel comfortable and welcome. I will pass on your comments to staff members as they always appreciate nice feedback on their performance.

I am sorry to hear you didn't quite like our bedrooms. I will certainly inform staff about the bathroom. It is unfortunate the shower screen had not been replaced and I will ensure this does not happen again.

I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We spend 3 days in the courtyard lodges which are on the grounds of the hotel. Overall we had a great time. The staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful. The hotel and lodges are really nice and well kept. A few niggling complaints - the reason we go to accommodation like this on the grounds of a hotel, is the swimming pool. It gives kids something to do when the weather is bad, which can be often in Ireland. The pool hours for kids at the hotel are between 9 and 11 in the morning and 4 to 6 in the afternoon, crazy. Also, lodge residents have to bring their towels from the lodge when using the spa. This is just petty and annoying. Final thing, there is no wi-if in the lodges (although it was advertised that there was). Internet is available (at a cost) through the tv, but in this age of iPads and smart phones, this isn't really going to cut it!

As I said, it's a great place, they just need to sort out the small stuff that makes all the did difference when staying at a 5 star resort.

2  Thank Maria L

I am delighted to hear you had a great time at Fota Island Resort. It pleases me that our staff were of great help to you and I will pass on your comments as they will appreciate the feed back.

It disappoints me to hear you weren't pleased with our pool times. We try to accommodate all our guests so it is essential we have different times for those who may not have a family. However, I am pleased to inform you that we have extended the times for the summer due to children being on holidays. Children can now avail of the pool from 9am to 12noon and 4pm to 7pm.

I am also disappointed to hear your wi-fi was not working. I will be sure to inform staff of this error to ensure it will not happen again.

I am glad to hear you had an overall pleasant trip and I hope you decide to visit us again in the near future to have an even more enjoyable stay.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We spent a night away in the Fota Island Resort last weekend. Had a really enjoyable stay, the staff are so lovely and friendly. We enjoyed afternoon tea in the Amber Lounge and drinks in the Clubhouse later on. Had a relaxing few hours in the Spa the next day before heading back to reality!! Breakfast that morning was excellent too.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough!

2  Thank KF10Ireland
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. We love to hear that guests have had a fantastic stay at our resort. It pleases me to hear our staff treated you so well and that you enjoyed the afternoon tea we take such pride in.

We aim for customers to have a stress free stay at our resort and the spa is the perfect place to relax and unwind. I will pass on your comments to all staff members as we really appreciate your feedback.

I hope you consider visiting us again in the near future to relive your past experience.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a fab weekend here, staff very helpful and friendly. Gorgeous dinner and buffet breakfast each morning. Spa treatments were excellent and the relaxation room was amazing!! Perfect for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Aoifemangan
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experience of Fota Island Resort with us and the public. I am more than happy to hear that your recent stay with us was a very enjoyable one.

I am delighted to pass your feedback on to all members of staff as they are always happy to hear that their work is being appreciated.

Each and every one of us here at Fota Island Resort hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

John O'Flynn

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Really enjoyable break in Cork. Even though weather wasn't great there was so much to do in the hotel we didn't mind. Food was really good and breakfast was top notch. The staff are what really made it though. All went out of their way to make you feel at home. Happy to recommend to anyone. Suggest the afternoon tea as well. Great for a bit of indulgence.

2  Thank Jaspreet B

I am delighted to find out that you got to enjoy your time at Fota Island Resort. Thank you for taking the time to give us this lovely feedback.

Making every guest feel welcome and at home during the stay is what makes our staff members proud and happy. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to them.

I am happy to hear that you had the chance to visit our Amber Lounge and enjoy afternoon tea. It is one of our specialities.

All of us here at Fota Island Resort look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind regards,

The Kingsley
#5 of 23 in Cork
Castlemartyr Resort
#1 of 2 in Castlemartyr

Been to Fota Island Resort? Share your experiences!