“A bit old hotel”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Magny-le-Hongre
London, United Kingdom
“A bit old hotel”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

i think they have renovate the hotel. rooms look very tired. the room which we had, had broken lamp bedside table, no toiletries in the room. had to que long for check in and check out. breakfast was not good , not much variety.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevin749

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My husband, 3 year old, and I stayed at the Magic Circus Hotel for 3 days and 2 nights this past week. We would stay there again on our next trip to Disneyland Paris, but there were a few things that would benefit from management's attention.

First, the pros:
We had no issues with the shuttle bus. We got a seat for my daughter or a place to park her in the stroller each time we rode and we never faced a bus that was too full to accommodate us. Several times, the bus was only 1/3 full. It ran regularly, and we never had to wait more than 10 minutes. We had a car, so we also drove to the park and can say that the shuttle beats driving because it drops you right at the park gate. The car park is a bit of a walk away, even with the moving sidewalks. Plus, it takes time to find a spot, get your gear from the car, and then do the walk. The hotel shuttle was a good deal all around.

The hotel is built to keep kids happy and busy. The room had two bunk beds sectioned off from the main bed by a circus themed curtain running on a semi-circle track around the beds (which are up against a wall). I saw on Trip Advisor that some people complained about the set up, but I think they were expecting a separate kids' room and anticipating privacy in their bed. What you are getting is one room with a curtain designed to make kids feel like they have their own space (with a little tv facing the bottom bunk). It's the perception of privacy for kids . . . this isn't going to give parents true privacy. We didn't expect anything else, and our daughter was delighted by the set up, which made bed time a lot easier and more fun.

There is a bar area in the middle of the hotel. Sprinkled around it are vending machine containing small toys (at 2 Euro a pop!) and a few games (like air hockey, which enthralled our 3 year old). There are also a few rides, like a small carousal and a few single horses or cars that rock back and forth when you put in money (2 more Euros!). I saw some Trip Advisor reviews complaining about lots of out of order machines, but we didn't have that experience. Possibly the best feature was a ball pit in the middle of the room (it's contained by glass or plexiglass on 3 sides, so the balls don't go everywhere and kids are contained). This ball pit made our trip awesome. We sat at a table in the bar area, where we could watch the ball pit, and had cocktails while our little girl made friends and played in the pit. The other kids seemed to come from nice families and played nicely - nothing too rough and no one feeling left out. This was the first time since our daughter was born that we sat at a hotel bar and had drinks on a family vacation. This set up alone made the hotel worth its weight in gold. It was so civilized and liberating to have a little down time for ourselves after a busy day at a park! In fact, a bunch of parents were talking about how cool the set up was because in a "normal' hotel there would be no place to go during that 7 - 9 pm window, and we'd all be stuck in our tiny rooms fighting with our kids to try to get them to unwind for bed.

The breakfast was good. It was a pretty large buffet. Cold cuts, cereals, breads, eggs, sausages, yogurt, fruit, etc. . . . enough stuff to keep kids interested in eating breakfast. We ate around 9 or 9:30 am each day and never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes tops for a table. There probably isn't any wait if you go earlier.

The pool was a surprise bonus at the hotel. I hate indoor pools, but our daughter has been asking to go swimming so one morning we took her down. The kids' section of the pool was far bigger than any kiddie pool I've seen before. It's all shallow and sectioned off by a wall from the grown up pool. There is a seal in the middle, and if you pump a small handle, he squirts water out of the ball on the tip of his nose. There was a tiny little waterfall thing at the other end (I probably shouldn't say "waterfall," but I'm not sure what else to call it). There was also a tiny water slide - just perfect for a toddler. The top of the slide came up to my husband's knee, so it's made for little kids. Our daughter spent a good hour in the pool and didn't want to get out, even to go to the park.

For these (and some other) reasons, we would stay there again, and we had a great time.

All of that said, there were a few things that demonstrated that the hotel was getting a little worn around the edges. For example, one time I returned to the room and couldn't get the lights on. The front desk advised me to put my room key in the slot at the door (this had previously been unnecessary), but I found that the slot and the room key card were different sizes and didn't fit (plus, the card reader was more or less hanging loose from the connection in the wall). The hotel then sent someone, who was there within 2 or 3 minutes, and they flipped a switch in a box in the hallway to get our lights on.

The carpet in our room just needs to be replaced. Like, it needs more than just a steam clean.

There was no soap in the shower. They have a pump dispenser set up, but it was totally empty. My husband left the dispenser opened and hanging down so that housekeeping would notice, but they never filled it. This was really weird because I've read about this exact same complaint from others on trip advisor.

The pool area looked very clean to me, but my husband said there were grapes floating in the corner of the kiddy pool. We went down at 10 am and the pool was totally empty, so it's likely that the grapes were there from the day before. Again, not a deal breaker. It was just grapes. Nonetheless, in the interest of full disclosure, I mention it.

All in all, I wouldn't think of the hotel as a true 4 star because it's getting a little old, but we had an exceptionally good time at the hotel and would stay there again over a "better" hotel that was less geared to kids.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank MasalaTravelBunny
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My friend and I returned from this hotel last weekend after spending 2 nights there. In the first instance, we waited just over 1 hour for the shuttle bus from the station to bring us to the hotel. We were not impressed as they were meant to run every 15 minutes at that time. We mentioned this to the hotel receptionist when we checked in and she said she would look into it. Then secondly, she gave us a key for our room which had obviously not been cleaned and the beds were not made, so we then had to go back to reception who then gave us another room that was clean. So it wasn’t a great start. We had breakfast there which wasn’t bad but it’s very busy in the mornings and they failed to stock things like plates and mugs and have food replaced as it finished. Generally the breakfast was ok. We never ate or drank at the hotel other than that as we were out all day. In addition, we got the shuttle bus thereafter and they did run on time so we must have just had bad luck on arrival.

The most disappointing part of staying here is that both my mate and I have got bites over our arms and legs. I didn’t think much of them at the start until my friend told me she has been bitten at the hotel and that is when I noticed my bites and they were getting redder and they were very itchy by the day. I went to the pharmacy today and they told me straight away that I have bed bugs. You can imagine how disappointed I am. I travel a lot and never have I ever experienced anything like this and I have stayed in less star hotels before. I am just praying that they have not spread as I would need to get my flat, bed etc treated if they do spread. It has been a week and the bites are not going down. I couldn’t believe we both got bed bugs from a hotel of that standard, it is totally unacceptable and we will not be going back there again so please be warned before you book this hotel. Due to this, this is the reason for my low score.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Rita M
GeneralManagerFR, General Manager at Vienna House Magic Circus Paris, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear valued customer,

Thank you for your stay at the Magic Circus Hotel, and for having taken the time to write your comments.

We would sincerely like to apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations.

Regarding the bites over your arms and legs we really hope that you are feeling better now. Please be informed that your room has immediately been verified by an external company after your departure, and that they could not confirm the presence of any insects in your room.
Kindly note that the type of bed bugs you described is traveling in the clothes and suitcases of people, and that they are not the result of hygiene or cleaning problems of our hotel.

Your feedback is very important for us and we of course remain at your entire disposal if you wish to discuss this happening further.

It would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future, in order to completely satisfy you and your family.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further questions or requests you might have.

Yours sincerely

Goran TODOROVIC

Travelers are raving about these Magny-le-Hongre hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My boyfriend booked a 3 night stay here with Jet2 before christmas. The holiday package price itself was more than reasonable however we felt that the prices at the hotel were way too high for what you actually get.

The hotel itself is charming and has a circus theme running throughout, the rooms are clean and spacious - again nothing special but perfectly reasonable for the price we paid. The bathroom was clean and spacious however the only small gripe i had was that we had booked into a double room but upon arrival we were checked into a family room which had two giant bunkbeds in the middle of the room - my boyfriend seemed to think this was the best thing since sliced bread - i was more concerned about the lack of space for all my many many things - haha - so i went down to reception and politely asked if we could change rooms. The lady at reception was lovely told me that the rooms were the same size, i kindly pointed out that one has more space than the other and she switched them without any fuss!

The pool was closed 2/3 nights we were there so i can't really comment on that.

On the first night we had no idea where we were in relation to other human life so we made the mistake of eating at the hotel - the prices were more expensive than the disneyland park itself!!!!!
Had we known this we would have taken the free shuttle to just outside the park where there are several places to grab a bite to eat - various burger places and a planet hollywood (we ate there on the last night and the meal was cheaper than the hotel!!!!!!!)

The breakfast was okay - cold buffet side of things anyway - the hot options were questionable but i'm a fussy eater so i'm sure everyone can find something they like.

All in all, we had an amazing trip to Disneyland - it was everything i expected and more and this hotel was a nice place to come back to sleep in - next time i think we'll pay that bit extra and stay in one of the parks hotels

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca R
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Highly recommend this hotel for a family visiting Disneyland. It's near enough to be able to get an easy shuttle bus to park but we found it a lot cheaper than staying in one of the park hotels. The breakfast was buffet style so something for everyone and plenty of it. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant but went to the local restaurants in the nearby village and found a wonderful creperie and pizzeria.

Room Tip: Family room was perfectly adequate for a family of 4.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Ablitoe
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Me and my partner stayed here in June 2013. I must say we were impressed with the free shuttle buses which take you straight to the park, the cleanliness of the room and the food provided but it was so expensive! We booked only the breakfast but as we soon found out this hotel was in the middle of nowhere! So we had to pay around 80euros per night for a buffet. The food was okay and you had to pay for drinks which was also expensive. You do however only get one pillow which was really uncomfortable and the beds had two singles pushed together which was also uncomfortable! There was only BBC news and BBC one which were the only channels in English. Most likely wouldn't stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kiwilana91
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2014

In spite of paying in the hotel with cc double sum was blocked in my account by two weeks.
Very old fitness equipment. No sauna. Only one toilet in the basen area. Poor quality of breakfests! Area close to the hotel not interesting. No shops to buy enything - you have to travel with RER. No shower gel from the beginning of the staying to the end. Always a lot of people at the reception difficult to talk with employees.
If you talk with tchem they are polite, nice - that one of the good things which happened to me.

Room Tip: Family suite is not something you need (too small)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Klaudia M
GeneralManagerFR, General Manager at Vienna House Magic Circus Paris, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear valued customer,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the friendliness of our employees.

Regarding your experience with the double charge of your account please be assured that this does not meet our usual standards, and that we of course remain at your entire disposal if you wish to discuss this happening further.

Also we are very sorry that we could not fully meet your expectations regarding the hotel area, as well as the lack of shower gel in your room.

Concerning the breakfast buffet we would like to point out that we do propose an intercontinental buffet breakfast with a large choice of cereals, bread, fruits, hot food, etc.., which are freshly prepared on a daily basis, and we would like to apologize if we could not completely satisfy you and your family.

Your feedback is very important for us and has been shared with our employees, in order to apply improvements for the future.

We remain at your disposal for any further questions or requests you might have.

Yours sincerely

Goran TODOROVIC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magny-le-Hongre
Vienna House Dream Castle Paris
Radisson Blu Hotel at Disneyland Paris
Kyriad A Disneyland Paris
Kyriad A Disneyland Paris
#6 of 8 in Magny-le-Hongre

Been to Vienna House Magic Circus Paris? Share your experiences!