“Does the job......” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Magny-le-Hongre
Sussex
“Does the job......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in half term, with my partner and our 3 children in 2 rooms. The good points;
1. We had rooms 1104 and 1105, these were spacious rooms
2. Lovely comfortable bed
3. Good, clean bathroom
4. Breakfast - good quality food and lots of it
The not so good points;
1. Starting to look tired, fixtures hanging off wall in room 1104
2. Asked for extra pillows THREE times and never received them - disappointing
3. Kettle only worked if you held button down
4. Room 1104 right by lifts so there is more noise - room suppose to be sound proof??? I hate to think what it would have been like if it wasn't!
5. Rooms were both very warm, had to open windows to try and cool them down
6. Staff at breakfast basically ignored customers, no interaction or pleasantries!

Also as an additional point I know the shuttle buses are free but Disney/Hotels really need to sort these out, maybe by adding additional buses? They are just a free for all, saw a family with a double buggy get pushed all over the place, not great getting shoved about every time you go to and from the Parks. There are enough comments on this Site alone surely for Disney/Hotel to take note??!

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Stockton-on-tees, North-East of England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed in the magic circus hotel for three nights with my sister on our adventure to Disneyland. As a quick overview for people thinking of staying here I'll put everything in headers!

HOTEL
The hotel is wonderful, very impressive to look at, as soon as you walk into reception there's huge sculptures of horses and wonderful artwork on the walls of old circus posters and photographs. You are hit with this smell of popcorn too, it feels like you've stepped into a circus.

BREAKFAST
Bloody fantastic. so so much choice it would take up at least a paragraph on just how much there was to choose from and it was all delicious. On our last day we even made sandwiches from baguettes with chicken, cheese and ham to have on the coach. We looked forward to breakfast every morning and the staff who showed you to your table were always friendly and smiley.

WI-FI
I feel like we were mislead by the 'free wi-fi' promise.
What is actually the case is there's two computers near reception that are free to use when they're available. however the only free wi-fi you get from your tablets, phones etc is for only 24 hours then you have to pay 9 euros for another 24 hours. The wi-fi itself was slow and annoying. I feel they should make this clearer on the websites this hotel is on.

ROOMS
We were really impressed with our room! the circus theme was very tasteful. even though there was just the two of us we had a huge room with a double bed and bunk-beds, two tvs, coffee making facilities and a mini fridge! The décor was tasteful and modern with small hints at the circus theme with starry carpet and small details such as cushions and stools. It was lovely staying there and the cleaners did a fantastic job, we even left them a nice note.

it should be mentioned that on closer inspection we found some lights didn't work in the bathroom so it was really dim, the shower head was really dirty but the rest of the room was spotless and one tv didn't actually have a remote with it?! the tvs themselves were an odd combination, one had appalling reception and was an outdated box tv, the other you had to manually change but was flatscreen tv with good quality picture and sound.

The electricity only works when you're in the room and have your keycard in the slot, i dont know if this is common in hotels now but we were annoyed at this. the food in the fridge would go warm and you couldn't leave anything to charge while you were out.

LOCATION
maybe I should have looked into this more before staying, it is perfect if all you want to do is go to Disneyland as the shuttle bus is every 10 minutes and it only takes 10-15 minutes to get there. My sister and I wanted to see Paris before we left, there's a train station near disneyland but the only thing that was nearby (1 stop away) was a shopping village full of designer shops such as D&G, lacoste, burberry etc which wasn't our thing, so we didn't actually get to see much of Paris or see a nice little town with a few shops in which was a shame.

FOR CHILDREN
Although my sister and I were 20 and 17 we noticed the facilities for the children were superb, theres a big ball pit, play area with toys in the corner for them to play with while you eat, arcade games, air hockey even them rides you pay for your child sit on and they go in circles. They wouldn't get bored.

POOL
I was a little disappointed with the pool as it looked better (and bigger) in photos, it was very small and quite shallow (for someone who is 5ft8 anyway) so you couldn't go for a proper swim. The changing rooms and pool itself were very clean and tidy. there was even a seal attraction in the water that kids could turn and water came out of the top so it was fun for them. We were having a nice time swimming and talking with about 6 other people in the pool but then two foreign boys came in and started aggressively throwing a ball around and nearly hit me in the face with it and showed a casual disregard for the other swimmers. Everyone who was in the pool ended up at the edges keeping out their way. There was only one pool (that wasn't the baby pool) so we just left. There was no staff there to tell the boys off. It was disappointing like I said.

We think this is the perfect hotel if all you want to do is see Disneyland. It has a lovely atmosphere and wonderful food. For an evening meal it was 25 euros per person for a banquet of food so I would suggest you bring pot noodles and food to snack on while you're there to avoid spending a lots of money on food.

It goes to say Disneyland was sensational, don't miss the 'Disney Dreams' show on the night when the park closes and check the website to see whats on at what times when you go, the disney dreams was so magical and really made leaving even harder! Queues can be avoided if you check around instead of jumping on the first thing you see. If anyone is unsure when to go I'd definitely recommend during Halloween, it was fantastic.

Hope this has helped :-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Abigail T
Haarlem, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is now our second home.
All the people are so lovely if you need something you just have to ask and they run!

Room is big and even if it's a big hotel near a busy place it's nice and not with a lot of noice
Breakfast is perfect and if something is not there anymore just ask and they bring even when your late

Roomservice is great! They don't charge extra!

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We booked our trip 2 days before departure. This hotel was the only one with rooms.

As expected, the hotel has had a lot of trafiic through it and it shows.

We used the hotel as a place to sleep and it did its job. My daughter loved the setup with the bunkbeds in her own room.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Check in and out waeasy easy. The bus to and from the park was painful, but to be expected when sharing the bus with 5 other hotels.

Ate at the breakfast buffet once, decided to eat elsewhere the remaining days. Not much selection and what was there was just OK.

Would stay again, but would not be my first choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night prior to transfering to the DLH. We were driving and found the hotel with no problem and there was also plenty of free parking. We arrived at 3.30pm and were the only ones checking in so everything was done within 2 mins. My DS loved the lobby and bar area of the hotel. It is very appealing to children with lots of bright colours and plenty to look at. We went upto our room and were pleased with it. The room was not massive but I think the curtain around the bunk beds does make it seem smaller - with this open it seems much more spacious. There was a kettle in the room with tea and coffee supplies plus a small fridge. The fridge never got very cold even after being on all night so not really suitable for milk etc. There were plenty of towels and toileteries in the bathroom.

The room also had 2 tv's - one by the bunk beds, which is only visible from the bottom one so not sure how this would work if you have 2 children. We only really put the TV's on for 5 mins. The childrens one had terrible reception and we could not get any child channels on. The main one had lots of channels but not one single english speaking childs channel - this seems to be a common theme in most Disney hotels. It was not an issue for us, but if you are staying longer and fancy an evening relaxing in your room - make sure you take a book.

We went for a walk around the hotel and grounds and the outside areas are lovely. So peaceful and pretty. DS had a play on the small playground and we walked down to the lake - really lovely.

We took the free bus to the parks. Waited only about 5 minutes for one and it was not too busy at this time of day. It really is convenient and the bus stop by the train station is much closer to the parks then the car park is.
After a great few hours in the park we again took the bus back to the hotel. There was a very large queue of people waiting and I took my DS by the hand to make sure we did not get separated and pushed our way on with everyone else. We managed ok in the madness but would not want to try this with a pushchair!
Back at the hotel and DS wanted to have a game of pool so we went to the bar. This is a lovely area with very comfy seating. However it is very expensive! 4 euro for a game of pool is just silly. Whilst DS and DH were playing there were more children wanting to play on the other tables but lots of parents were saying no because of the cost. I am pretty sure that the hotel would make much more money from these tables if they halved the price.
After that we went to our room. The beds were very comfortable but the room was very warm and even with the airco on full, it never really cooled down much. There is also a night light built into the wall of the room which emits a soft blue light. Very handy in case of emergency but it did really disturb my sleep, it was just too bright.
We went to breakfast the next morning at about 8.30am. There was no wait for a table and we were taken straight threw. There was plenty of choice and the dinning room was spacious and well thought out. There were quite a lot of choice for warm foods but the scrambled eggs that I tried were just horrid! Everyone has different taste of course, yuch!
All in all we were very happy with this hotel and would happily stay here again. Compared to the Disney onsite hotels it is very good value for money - the only downside for a longer stay for us would be taking the shuttle bus back each evening from the parks.

Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

So, we were moved here from Dream Castle and told we should be able to check in straight away as our carrot for not making a fuss about the overbooking. Sadly, that hadn't been cleared with Magic Circus so there were no rooms ready.

A very friendly and helpful receptionist promised a room within half an hour. This she managed - hurrah! However, it wasn't the room we'd booked. We'd paid extra for a twin room with Queen Beds. This was a twin room with very small single beds. It also had a broken safe, a wardrobe that you couldn't open without crashing into the bed, power points that you couldn't plug the kettle into (the desk was too high) and a general feeling of malaise about it. Not by any stretch of the imagination a 4* hotel room and not what we'd paid for. Grrr.

However, it was early check in, we wanted to get to the parks, we'd been up since 4am and really my son wasn't terribly bothered about the room he just wanted to go and get Disneyed. So off we went. We returned about 6pm and ordered from room service - pizza (very nice) and a greek salad (delicious). Both were promptly delivered by a friendly manager. Also ordered a bottle of wine - the bottle I wanted wasn't available so I had to pay 4 euro more for a different bottle. I would have expected them to honour the lower price and did ask but they said no. The wine was very nice indeed - not your average plonk and at 25 euros about half the price of by the glass. So - scabby but clean room, reasonably expensive but nice room service food, broken safe but very promptly fixed. This was turning into an object lesson in contradictions.

As we left to go out for the evening I pointed out to reception that this wasn't the room we'd ordered. The receptionist (same one who'd checked us in) had no idea that we'd ordered a superior room, there had been no communication from the sister hotel and as the Dream Castle had kept my info I hadn't even got the reservation details. The very nice receptionist apologised but said she couldn't move me that evening. She promised to sort something out and we left for the evening.

Next morning I rang reception and our new room was ready - excellent. Oh, meaning that probably it had also been available the night before. But hey ho. We moved room and the difference was extremely marked. We still didn't have the room we'd ordered but now had a double room with separate bunk beds. Junior was happy and now so was I. Very nice room, very clean, freshly decorated. Bit of a palaver though and presumably we could have checked into this room the previous day at some point.

Breakfast - is very good, vast selection, cold meats, fruits, juice, coffee, croissant, bacon, roast potatoes, cheeses, bacon, chicken sausages, rolls, yoghurts.

We ordered from room service again on our last night. This time was less successful - charged (but then immediately refunded) for something we had been told was included, food very cold on arrival and then faffing about with a broken PDQ whilst the food chilled a bit more but very apologetic staff.

You can't control the heat in your room and ours was like a furnace. You can open the windows but not leave them propped open. The outside temperature dictates the heating apparently but surely that's why you have individual air conditioning? Crazy. I was so hot I think I lost several pounds in weight over night.

The pool is small but fine. There were no towels, no staff to ask, the lockers were unworkable but everything was clean. We dripped back up to our rooms after our swim.

The bus - don't get me started. On day one arriving at Dream Castle a crowd waiting simply wouldn't let us off the bus. Then when we tried to push forward a man became aggressive and abusive (he was getting ON the bus, but couldn't as we had the temerity to want to get OFF the bus), then my son actually became stuck on the bus which was about to pull away. At no point did the driver do a THING. How hard is it to say "let the passengers off" in English and French? sheesh. The bus is too much "survival of the fittest" to be legal or fair. The bus also dramatically overloads and goodness knows what that does to the insurance status. Old people don't stand a chance but yet they actively discourage you from walking. We would happily have walked in but on asking three different staff they all looked horrified. We discovered on our final morning it's only a 25 minute walk and you can easily waste that waiting for the bus. I think they should suggest that younger, fitter guests walk if they're able and give them a route to follow. that would leave the bus for those with buggies, grandparents etc. The scrum for the bus is not very edifying.

Ok, so in conclusion - pick your room with care. I can recommend 201 on the mezzanine. avoid room 3301, it has seen better days. Insist on what you've ordered. Push for something by way of an apology if you've been moved. How hard is it to offer a complimentary bottle of water or something by way of an apology? Don't buy from the machines buy at Relay at the station. Room service is not that much more than eating out at Disney. But wine costs the same as fruit juice (odd!) so don't assume that because one thing is OK value (9 euros for a big Greek salad) that everything is (8 euros for a glass of apple juice)

Internet works fine but only on my final day did I realise that there was an extra box to tick to get on line. It's very small and the pagination is odd on an iPad.

Having said all this I really liked the staff, the views are nice, the room was very nice - once you accepted that this was more of 3 star punching above its weight than a 4 star falling short, it was fine. With just a better policy about compensating customers and clearer communications from one hotel to another this could have been a much higher rating. And I would stay here again but with different expectations - 3 * expectations.

Room Tip: Mezzanine 201 was nice, 3301 was a bit past it.