“Great Value Hotel for Eurodisney Brilliant Pirate Pool for young explorers!”
Review of Explorers Hotel

Explorers Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Magny-le-Hongre
Wigan
“Great Value Hotel for Eurodisney Brilliant Pirate Pool for young explorers!”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Stayed last week as a cheap (£78 B&B 2 adults 2 kids) overnight stay before going to Disneyland Paris. We stayed at Disney New York Hotel for the main holiday but drove to here the night before to maximise time on the parks and would recommend.

Its about 5 min drive from Disneyland with 2 young explorers (age 3 & 7) they absolutely loved the pirate pool and pirate ship outside. Theres a great big soft play area there too. Theres a casual bar and pizza restaurant outside the pool area, pizzas were freshly made to order fab value and quality.

We stayed in the basic 4 crew room it was spotlessly clean and fairly basic. It did have everything we needed tea coffee, TV etc but if you want luxury you'd have to upgrade or go elsewhere.

Breakfast was usual continental fresh croissants, ham, cheese, cereals and tea, coffee, juice yoghurts. There is an English option surgcharge was about 4 Euros for this.

I thought check in was fairly slow and the queue management should be sorted as people were served out of turn. Staff were mainly friendly, few niggles like towel hire charges at the pool were €2 each and couldn't be charged to the room but it served its purpose. Rooms didn't have air conditioning we had a ceiling fan which was OK at 24 degrees but wouldnt fancy that over 30.

It was a pretty great place to take the kids to after paying 3 times this nightly rate at the Disneyland New York Hotel the kids still talked about their pirate adventure here. The room upgrades, VIP fastpass and extra magic hours you get at Disneyland still make that a better bet for us but it comes at a price.

Room Tip: booked through hotels4u.com cheapest by 30%
2 Thank Wiganrover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I have read many reviews of this hotel before our trip, some of them very bad about personal objects stolen from the room or breakfast table, poor and unfriendly Service, bad food. I didnt know what to expect, since one negative review has more power than 10 good ones. And each and every review is based on your own experience. So now I'll share mine.

We've been there from the 27th until the 30th of May. Me, my husband, daughter ( 7) and son (4 years old).
2 weeks before the trip I sent 3 emails to the hotel and guest relations, asking them if I could have a mini fridge in our room, since we have a son with special needs and doesnt drink and eat much, so I was taking his own drinks, which he needed every day. I also read in other reviews that they didnt promise, but it could be done to get a mini fridge in your room if asked in advance. I didnt get any reply from the hotel. I was very upset, it was completely clear they dont give a damn about the guests needs. They are also not a 5 Star hotel, who is really interested in making anything possible to achieve the guests needs and expectations.They simply dont care. But when we arrived, very late last friday, we were greeted by a very educated and friendly portuguese man, who was very Kind and gave us ice, after knowing about the no reply to my emails about the fridge. He also told me he would talk with his chef about this issue. At the Store inside the hotel the Staff were very friendly ( one portuguese woman and a spanish man).

The room was Ok, cleaned everyday, the towels were changed everyday, no personal belongings stollen from the room, although we didnt leave anything valuable in the room, but inside our car after the reviews I read. The 2 points I would complain about would be in our room (373) the bathroom tile floor was falling apart. Lots of tiles were loosen under the carpet. We could have hurt ourselves and its not really nice. The shower curtain was also full of moulds. Disgusting.

The food: Breakfast was Ok. Not the best croissant in France, but ok. I loved there were fresh fruits like watermelon, ananas, orange. I was satisfied with croissant and watermelon.
At night we took a look at the buffet, which was not really appealing, so we decided to grab some pizzas and take to our room. I ordered 3 pizzas ( 1 rustic with bacon, olives, ham, onions; 1 three cheeses and 1 margherita)
I didnt get the rustic, they gave me one another only with bacon and diced ham, no olives no onions and the bottom of the pizza was all burnt and black, unedible. The 3 cheeses was also not really inviting, they dont let the cheese get Gold and brown. The only edible was the margherita, but very poor in taste, i think it was the worst pizza I have ever had. But since we were tired and hungry, it was the only thing left to eat.
One thing that annoyed me was that the trays and dishes from the breakfast were soaked and wet. They didnt mind drying them after they came cleaned from the kitchen.

The pool was the best thing about this hotel. After one long day at the Parks, coming back to the hotel and letting the kids play and relax was really convenient. It was not cold as some reviews I read. As a Matter of fact, when we entered, we felt right away that warmth from the heated pool area. The water was also pleasant and warm enough. We brought our own towels.

Another positive point is free parking in the hotel and at Disneyland. We didnt use the free Shuttle Service, since we had our own car. And the hotel is really near to Disneyland.
We Had a great trip and I would come back to this hotel if I wanted to save some money to spend on souvenirs at the Parks.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank giovannavlg
McKenna, Washington
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Simply put, kids will LOVE this hotel. Fantastic pool and play area! Very close to Disneyland and easy to get to Paris. Free Disneyland parking is a nice touch, saving us 15 Euro a day. The pizza is good, fast, and affordable. Employees were very friendly and helpful, with the exception of the pool guys, every one of them were grumpy and rude.

Now for the bad. Starting with the free breakfast, it's pretty sad, even as far as hotel breakfasts go. Charging 2 Euros for pool towels is just insulting. (Furthermore, they don't allow you to bring your room towels out, so be sure to bring your own.) Don't forget your toiletries, the front desk wont give you anything, they'll just refer you to the on-site Disney store. Also be warned this hotel is very noisy! Obviously it attracts a lot of children, a lot of happy, hyper, noisy children. Oh and the pool is pretty deep! I can't remember the depth, but plan for floaties for smaller kids.

Room Tip: Less noise on top floor, away from pool area.
1 Thank 2010Raptor
Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights earlier this month. Room had a double and two single beds with en-suite bath and overhead shower. The hairdryer provided didn't work and the base was the wrong shape for the kettle in the room. Breakfast was help yourself to cereal, cold pastries, fresh fruit and cubed ham and cheese. Pink shuttle buses (No 54) came very regularly although were crowded on the way home as serviced several hotels. We bought supplies at the shops in the train station as it was loads cheaper than buying at the hotel shop. Would stay there again though.

1 Thank sar081
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed May 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in may with our 2 kids age 2 and 5 . Excellent hotel could'nt have asked for more the kids just loved the pool and play area . Our 5 year old could'nt wait to go back to the hotel after been at disney to go swimming .The food was lovely and must say not expensive as we thought it would be.The rooms are not very big but ideal you would'nt be spending must time in them theirs so much to do.Parents can sit back and relax have food or a drink in the evening while the kids can play .Overall brilliant hotel and would stay again for sure.

2 Thank Eileen190754
Longford, Ireland
Reviewed May 24, 2011

we are just back from a 6 night stay in this hotel there was me my hubby and 5 kids ages 11 8 7 6 and 18 months. there was no q for the check in and the staff was friendly our room had 1 double 2 single and another room with bunk beds and the travel cot for the baby it was good and clean over looking the bus drop off. so we knew when the next bus was coming!!. the pool was great as was the play area and the kids loved it. breakfast was what we expected arange melon pineapple bread crossants rolls ham chess cornflakes pop corn etc etc. we eat the evening dinner 1 night as it was ok not a great choise and i did fine the chef not nice to say the least. would i go back again yes only think i did find about the hotel was we spend 1 day in paris and did not return til 1 30am and had run out of milk for the baby and when we asked if we could get some we were told no. take your own towels for the pool. and bring ur own tea and coffee if u like it as it is not refilled.

3 Thank mumgoingmad
wicklow
Reviewed May 21, 2011

we have just got back from our stay in the explorers hotel. Both my self and my husband both work in the hotel business and we have to say we were impressed with this hotel. we stayed for four nights. our room was basic but exactly what we expected. quiet spacious actually. the pool was fantasic and the kids , all 3 of them had a ball. the pizza bar was lovely and wasent expensive, unfortuntally we found the buffet to be unplesent. we have stayed in the disney hotels before and we expected the buffet to be the same here but it wasent. The food was'ent very europeen, and there was very little on the buffet that the kids would eat so they left hungry as did my self been a vegetarian., i had asked the chef for sumthing vegetarian but he refused! My husband is a chef and even the food he did eat he was was not up to standard. but cost us lot of money so we wouldnet not recommend this. Apart from that we found the hotel to be good. we had a great stay and the shuttle bus service to the disney part fantastic.

1 Thank mcdermottfamily
ExplorersHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Explorers Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent visit, I was pleased that on the whole you and your family enjoyed your stay. The gentleman who designed the hotel did so with family's in mind, after all he does have four himself.

I am sorry though that you found our resetaurant to be below your expectations, I will certainly share your comments with our Chef. Should you decide to visit again, you may wish to consider our table service restaurant, The Captains Library, which offers a range of starters between 7€ and 10.50€ and main courses between 18€ and 25€, not to mention "Moules Frites" at 18€.

Nevertheless once again thank you for your kind words and I hope you decide to visit again soon.

Kind regards

Andrew Shortman
Guest Services Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magny-le-Hongre
Vienna House Dream Castle Paris
Vienna House Magic Circus Paris
Vienna House Magic Circus Paris
#4 of 8 in Magny-le-Hongre
Radisson Blu Hotel at Disneyland Paris

Been to Explorers Hotel? Share your experiences!