“Perfect place for solitude” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Xixim

Hotel Xixim
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Celestun
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Perfect place for solitude”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

I am a yoga teacher, who leads a lot of retreats and workshops. A few weeks ago, I decided I needed to 'walk the talk', and take a solo retreat to recharge my batteries and get re-inspired. I knew I had to get to salt water, but I find the Pacific Coast of Mexico a little rough. When I found Hotel Xixim on-line, the pictures of the natural surroundings sold me; it looked a lot like the area of Cape Cod where I had spent many summers.

Everyone associated with the hotel was courteous and helpful~ and when they understood I was there to really be by myself, they accommodated that beautifully. I LOVED the 'juice therapy', and went for 2 days trying many of the fresh concoctions.

Eco-sustainable tourism is a mighty idea, and I think this place just about has it right. Its remoteness means nature, animals and birds are front and center. And if you can move through the internal resistance we have to being entertained and occupied by all things electronic, then you can really get into appreciating the slower rhythm on offer here.

I was there during the dry season, although it did rain one evening (which was so refreshing). It was great watching the clouds and thunder slowly roll in. The beach was very clean, and wonderful to take long walks on. It faces west, so the long sunset can be enjoyed from a hammock right on the shore. I loved having my own suite (I have 4 kids. I wanted to move to Xixim...), loved the very private, but very open outdoor shower, and I even loved the iguana who liked to hang out with me. All in all, it was a very special 5 days.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Liza K
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Yogini2014,

It was so refreshing and pleasing to my soul to read your beautiful, lovely and grateful review. Thank you so much.

I obviously also think eco-sustainable tourism is a mighty idea and yes, I agree with you, that Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, has it right, at least we try very hard to do so.

I really hope you will consider this remote, natural, pristine place for one of your retreats. We have had several very successful ones precisely due to the courteous and helpful service, tasty vegetarian food, juice-therapy and the possibility to get over and conquer the need of technology and finally harmonize, listen to one another and live together as human beings.

Again, thank you so much for brighten my day.

Wishing you a wonderful day,
Verena Gerber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Solihull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I really love this place! We arrived after dark following a 10 hour flight and 4 or 5 drive (we were so exhausted that none of us are sure how long it really was). So, waking up in beautiful, peaceful surroundings was magical. One of the first birds I saw was a Mexican Sheartail right in front of our room - I couldn't believe it! Yucatan Wren quickly followed. Two major targets in the bag! Other goodies in the area included Yucatan Bobwhite (seen three times along the access road) and White-lored Gnatcatcher. I went on the morning birding tour to Chunchumil, organised by the hotel, with Alex Dzib. This was great and got me my first views of some nice Yucatan endemics - such as Yucatan Jay, Yucatan Flycatcher, Yucatan Woodpecker and Orange Oriole. Highly recommended. I was back at the hotel in time for breakfast. I also went to Celestun Biosphere Reserve on a trip arranged by my travel agent and we saw masses of American Flamingos, as well as Bare-throated Tiger Heron and other good stuff. Similar trips can be arranged directly with the hotel too. The grounds are fabulous, with lots of native fauna and flora. Many plants have numbered markers and a lovely leaflet describes them (available on the website I think). The beach is amazing. I walked for miles without seeing another soul - the place is remote! Coffee and/or tea are brought to your room every morning. The coffee is very good, but I'm told the water for the tea was not quite hot enough. Food was generally very good. I particularly liked the Mexican breakfasts, which were a new experience for me. The beer selection is great and I also really liked the Margarita de Habanero - hot! Service is quite relaxed and not quite as formal as some other similarly priced hotels. There are one or two negatives - minor in my view, but worth mentioning. The access road is as bumpy as people say - quite an ordeal after a long flight and long drive. But, it didn't seem so bad after this. It is good for birding too! On our morning trip to Celestun there was a misunderstanding about our breakfast. We understood that we would be going birding for an hour or so, have breakfast at the hotel, then go on the boat tour. There were wires crossed between ourselves, our guide and the hotel. Not sure exactly how it happened, but we now know that a lunch box applies to breakfast as well as lunch! In the end we had a lovely breakfast in a cafe in Celestun, so we didn't go hungry! All things considered, this was my favourite place during the two week holiday to Mexico - peaceful, beautiful and relaxing.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank JohnBirdSolihull
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear JohnBirdSolihul,

Thank you so much for your comment: “this was my favorite place during the two week holiday to Mexico - peaceful, beautiful and relaxing”.

I am also thrilled that you found and observed the many endemic, rare and beautiful birds that live and thrive in the Celestun Biological Reserve.

Thank you also for your comments about our food and pristine beach – that our guests enjoy both is our main goal, besides bird watching and relaxing.

We still are very sorry about our access road. 1/3 of it is now refurbished. We really hope and pray, that soon we can assure our guests, that it is fully restored. Please excuse this inconvenience. As to lunch, there must have been a misunderstanding – please excuse this too.

Hopefully your path will find Xixim again in the near future. We would love to be your host again and pamper you as you deserve.

Wishing you a wonderful day,
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Wow this place is terrific. True the dirt road to get to Xixim is tough but as I understand is shortly due for repairs. The tranquillity, the food, the rooms all outdid our expectations. Friendly and helpful staff always looking to improve our stay! The gorgeous grounds and the beach right in front perfect for morning meditation. We loved the huge netted Yoga room with the magnificent sun sets. Our group of six cant wait to come back next year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ariane A
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Ariane,

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works at Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you heartily for your magnificent review.

For all of us it has been a great pleasure and honor to attend such a nice group of easy-going, open-minded, beautiful, meditative, soul-searching ladies.

We are more than excited, thrilled and enthusiastic to be your host again next year.
By then, we hope the road is fixed.

Wishing you a wonderful day and a blessed Easter,
Namaste
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

Apart from the fishing boats in the Gulf of Mexico we appeared to have the sea and beach to ourselves for a large part of the stay. The hotel seemed fairly full but apart from at meals we scarcely saw any of the other guests. It is unlikely they were exploring the local sites because the hotel is good 10km down a bumpy road from the centre of Celestun. When we were there biting insects were abundant in the surrounding countryside - the hotel does have mosquito suits to lend if you want to explore. Spectacular birds including cardinals, woodpeckers, hummingbirds and parrots. Very well appointed bungalow bedrooms but without air conditioning.

We found the reception desk slightly lacking in enthusiasm but there was a very energetic owner/manageress.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Rick S,

Thank you for having posted such a nice review and thank you for considering that I am an energetic owner. I normally do not manage the resort, but the general manager went for one and a half months to Morris, Minnesota to enhance his English, thus I had to take over. It was really fun, but the best part of it is obviously talking and getting to know our guests a little bit.

Indeed Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, is at the end of the road, but there is where you can find pristine nature and untouched wildlife, one of our main features we offer.
I am sorry, that our receptionist was somewhat dull. Normally they are very friendly and accommodating, but perhaps she had one of those days or a ruffle with the boy friend.

As to the bumpy road it is being fixed right now. I hope and pray it will stay so for a long time.

Hoping that your path will bring you back to Xixim in the near future and that you had a pleasant trip home.

Wishing you a pleasant and fun weekend
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Like other reviewers our first disappointment was the shocking 10 kms of dirt road we had to endure before we got to the property. We feel that the hotel should make guests aware of this prior to arrival. Once we got there we were delighted with the beautiful room set in lovely grounds with the beach right in front. Sadly this delight was short lived as we soon became aware that it was impossible to spend anytime from mid afternoon onwards outside the room without being attacked by mosquitos. Trying to enjoy a cocktail in the bar whilst watching the sunset was impossible despite being covered in mossie spray. We took refuge in the hot and stuffy restaurant where we had a very average meal. We were the only guests in the restaurant for dinner, in fact there seemed to be very few guests in the hotel in general so the atmosphere was somewhat lacking. There didn't seem to be a lot of staff either as the guy who ran the bar also came and acted as our waiter for dinner. Breakfast next morning was also average. It's such a pity that this place is so beautiful and has so much potential to be amazing yet it is being run in a rather amateurish way. They are doing their best to keep the mosquitos at bay by spraying the grounds in the evening and hopefully the road is going to be improved but in our opinion the hotel is lacklustre which is such a pity.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank j.fordham
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear j.fordham,

I am very thankful that you took your time to write your comments about Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel.

I am obviously not very happy about the outcome of your experience. I know we have mosquitoes, but this season has been very unusual. Due to very heavy rain during September to December 2013, the groundwater level raised and still today in March we have some places where it is flooded [normally from November on, we have no flooded areas and thus no mosquitos any more]. These areas are obviously the perfect hatching ground for mosquitoes, other insects and other species.

Stuffy restaurant should not be. The only reason for this is that our staff did not turn on the AC, because of few guests. This attitude is despicable, but understandable as one of our eco-policies is lower energy consumption. I apologize for this.
The road should be ready next month.

In confidence that in the near future we arrive at this potential that you envision for us. I assure you, we are working and have been working hard on this issue.

I hope you had a safe trip home and that this is not your last visit to our beautiful country Mexico.

Have a great day
Kind regards,
Sun Peaks, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Three of us drove the 10 km from Celestun to Xixim for lunch on Sunday, February 23. Although the road from Celestun to Xixim is washed out and full of horrible large holes that you have to VERY slowly negotiate your way around, or down and out again, I expected the private road on Xixim's own grounds would be good, for the final 1 km. Boy, was I wrong! Their own private road is the worst part of the trip! Although the food was well presented, very good and reasonably priced, I would strongly recommend AGAINST going there unless you are driving an old 4-wheel drive vehicle that you don't mind your shocks and alignment being seriously damaged. Once we finally made it there, we walked the deserted beautiful beach then went into the restaurant for lunch. The restaurant also has a pool table, foosball table and large-screen TV with videos and Nintendo available. Throughout our whole meal, young boys were playing Nintendo with the volume up FULL and also playing off and on with the pool table. Definitely NOT a relaxing or romantic atmosphere. Do not go there looking for that. We had a look around the grounds and into a room. These are the most expensive rooms within probably at least 100km and they were disappointingly very basic and rustic. They look 2 star and are priced as though they are 5 star.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Rogerandcris,

Yes, we are sorry about our deteriorated access road. As you know, our dirt road was washed away by the unusual heavy and prolonged rains we had from September to December 2013 causing potholes that you can’t avoid.
Also the roads in Celestun town have been washed away and have serious deterioration.
Since January, when it stopped raining, we have contacted the Yucatan State Government and asked them to fix the road going to Xixim. They have agreed, but the priority has been to fix the roads of the town, which I surely understand.
The government has assured me, that after they repair the Celestun roads, our will have his turn. I really hope and cross my fingers, that this will be finished before Easter Holiday.

As to our private street, I totally agree, it’s quite a disaster. We tried to fix it with our Bobcat, but, obviously, as it always happens, when you need your tool the most, it brakes down. As our bobcat is about 30 years old, we could not find the spare part we needed in Merida. We had to ask for it in Mexico City, but, as it is such an old model, they had to search all over Mexico and the USA to find it.
But, halleluiah!! Yesterday, March15yh, 2014, we received it in Xixim and now the Bobcat is working again. In one week, our road should be up and going.

I am also sorry, that you had guest playing and a lot of noise in the bar El Santuario during your lunch. We have restaurant Zaxim downstairs, with a very enjoyable elegant atmosphere without TV and games. Next time you should ask to be attended at this setting.

I really hope your path will bring you back to Xixim in the near future and that you program a night’s stay. I am positive your opinion about our pristine place will change.

Wishing you a wonderful day
Evanston, Il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

We were on a 3-week tour of The Lost World of the Mayans and our group arrived from Medida at night. What a surprise to find this splendid oasis after a long drive over a bumpy road with deep potholes caused by rain. Our bungalow faced the ocean, the room was large and well-appointed. The linens, towels were of good quality as were the pillows, not the rocks one finds in many hotels when traveling the world. The shower is outside, protected by walls. Our one regret is that we were here for only one night. Our tour guide took pity on the group and we had a 10 AM departure so we could explore the grounds. Dinner was superb with excellent wine. All the service personnel were solicitous and gracious. Breakfast was good. We were fortunate not to have mosquitos during our stay there

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Angsten,

As a curious person, which I am, I took a look at the trips you have taken. According to Tripadvisor, you have visited 29% of the world. WOW!

Taking this in account I am very honored and more than pleased with your excellent, beautiful review of Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel.

Yes, we are sorry about our deteriorated access road. We hope we can have it up and going for the Easter Holidays. As you know, our dirt road was washed away by the unusual heavy and prolonged rains we had from September to December 2013 causing potholes that you can’t avoid.

On the other side, I am very happy, that mosquitoes did not molest you. Indeed, it exists: there are months and seasons when we do not have them.

I obviously wish and hope that your path will take you back to Mexico and Xixim, where we await you to pamper you again.

Verena Gerber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celestun
Hotel Zaci
#2 of 4 in Celestun
Hotel San Julio
Hotel San Julio
#3 of 9 in Celestun

Been to Hotel Xixim? Share your experiences!