“Potential to be gorgeous but.......”
Review of Hotel Xixim

Hotel Xixim
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Celestun
London
“Potential to be gorgeous but.......”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Like other reviewers our first disappointment was the shocking 10 kms of dirt road we had to endure before we got to the property. We feel that the hotel should make guests aware of this prior to arrival. Once we got there we were delighted with the beautiful room set in lovely grounds with the beach right in front. Sadly this delight was short lived as we soon became aware that it was impossible to spend anytime from mid afternoon onwards outside the room without being attacked by mosquitos. Trying to enjoy a cocktail in the bar whilst watching the sunset was impossible despite being covered in mossie spray. We took refuge in the hot and stuffy restaurant where we had a very average meal. We were the only guests in the restaurant for dinner, in fact there seemed to be very few guests in the hotel in general so the atmosphere was somewhat lacking. There didn't seem to be a lot of staff either as the guy who ran the bar also came and acted as our waiter for dinner. Breakfast next morning was also average. It's such a pity that this place is so beautiful and has so much potential to be amazing yet it is being run in a rather amateurish way. They are doing their best to keep the mosquitos at bay by spraying the grounds in the evening and hopefully the road is going to be improved but in our opinion the hotel is lacklustre which is such a pity.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank j.fordham
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear j.fordham,

I am very thankful that you took your time to write your comments about Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel.

I am obviously not very happy about the outcome of your experience. I know we have mosquitoes, but this season has been very unusual. Due to very heavy rain during September to December 2013, the groundwater level raised and still today in March we have some places where it is flooded [normally from November on, we have no flooded areas and thus no mosquitos any more]. These areas are obviously the perfect hatching ground for mosquitoes, other insects and other species.

Stuffy restaurant should not be. The only reason for this is that our staff did not turn on the AC, because of few guests. This attitude is despicable, but understandable as one of our eco-policies is lower energy consumption. I apologize for this.
The road should be ready next month.

In confidence that in the near future we arrive at this potential that you envision for us. I assure you, we are working and have been working hard on this issue.

I hope you had a safe trip home and that this is not your last visit to our beautiful country Mexico.

Have a great day
Kind regards,
Verena Gerber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Sun Peaks, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Three of us drove the 10 km from Celestun to Xixim for lunch on Sunday, February 23. Although the road from Celestun to Xixim is washed out and full of horrible large holes that you have to VERY slowly negotiate your way around, or down and out again, I expected the private road on Xixim's own grounds would be good, for the final 1 km. Boy, was I wrong! Their own private road is the worst part of the trip! Although the food was well presented, very good and reasonably priced, I would strongly recommend AGAINST going there unless you are driving an old 4-wheel drive vehicle that you don't mind your shocks and alignment being seriously damaged. Once we finally made it there, we walked the deserted beautiful beach then went into the restaurant for lunch. The restaurant also has a pool table, foosball table and large-screen TV with videos and Nintendo available. Throughout our whole meal, young boys were playing Nintendo with the volume up FULL and also playing off and on with the pool table. Definitely NOT a relaxing or romantic atmosphere. Do not go there looking for that. We had a look around the grounds and into a room. These are the most expensive rooms within probably at least 100km and they were disappointingly very basic and rustic. They look 2 star and are priced as though they are 5 star.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Rogerandcris,

Yes, we are sorry about our deteriorated access road. As you know, our dirt road was washed away by the unusual heavy and prolonged rains we had from September to December 2013 causing potholes that you can’t avoid.
Also the roads in Celestun town have been washed away and have serious deterioration.
Since January, when it stopped raining, we have contacted the Yucatan State Government and asked them to fix the road going to Xixim. They have agreed, but the priority has been to fix the roads of the town, which I surely understand.
The government has assured me, that after they repair the Celestun roads, our will have his turn. I really hope and cross my fingers, that this will be finished before Easter Holiday.

As to our private street, I totally agree, it’s quite a disaster. We tried to fix it with our Bobcat, but, obviously, as it always happens, when you need your tool the most, it brakes down. As our bobcat is about 30 years old, we could not find the spare part we needed in Merida. We had to ask for it in Mexico City, but, as it is such an old model, they had to search all over Mexico and the USA to find it.
But, halleluiah!! Yesterday, March15yh, 2014, we received it in Xixim and now the Bobcat is working again. In one week, our road should be up and going.

I am also sorry, that you had guest playing and a lot of noise in the bar El Santuario during your lunch. We have restaurant Zaxim downstairs, with a very enjoyable elegant atmosphere without TV and games. Next time you should ask to be attended at this setting.

I really hope your path will bring you back to Xixim in the near future and that you program a night’s stay. I am positive your opinion about our pristine place will change.

Wishing you a wonderful day
Evanston, Il
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We were on a 3-week tour of The Lost World of the Mayans and our group arrived from Medida at night. What a surprise to find this splendid oasis after a long drive over a bumpy road with deep potholes caused by rain. Our bungalow faced the ocean, the room was large and well-appointed. The linens, towels were of good quality as were the pillows, not the rocks one finds in many hotels when traveling the world. The shower is outside, protected by walls. Our one regret is that we were here for only one night. Our tour guide took pity on the group and we had a 10 AM departure so we could explore the grounds. Dinner was superb with excellent wine. All the service personnel were solicitous and gracious. Breakfast was good. We were fortunate not to have mosquitos during our stay there

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Angsten,

As a curious person, which I am, I took a look at the trips you have taken. According to Tripadvisor, you have visited 29% of the world. WOW!

Taking this in account I am very honored and more than pleased with your excellent, beautiful review of Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel.

Yes, we are sorry about our deteriorated access road. We hope we can have it up and going for the Easter Holidays. As you know, our dirt road was washed away by the unusual heavy and prolonged rains we had from September to December 2013 causing potholes that you can’t avoid.

On the other side, I am very happy, that mosquitoes did not molest you. Indeed, it exists: there are months and seasons when we do not have them.

I obviously wish and hope that your path will take you back to Mexico and Xixim, where we await you to pamper you again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was a first-time visit to Mexico with my wife and four-year old son, we stayed for a week over the Christmas period. Opening night on Christmas Eve involved unexpected entertainment from a local dance troupe and joining in whacking the heck out of a pinata, which we enjoyed. The meal afterwards of rabbit looked great, but it was hard going finding the meat on it. I think there's a reason rabbit is rarely seen on menus these days. Generally though, the meals were well presented, good quality mexican food.

The complex is well designed, the rooms spacious with a high level of finish. The water feature/pool at the back on the chalet was a nice touch, but the water did need refilling each day as it disappeared overnight (it is mostly only a couple of inches deep.) The staff were attentive and friendly.

The two pools did the job, although there was little difference between the family pool area and the adult one. The loungers were ok unless you wanted to sunbathe, they weren't big enough to lie flat on. The weather had become very mixed for the duration of our stay so we had to grab what sun there was when it appeared.

There were predominantly Mexican families staying when we were there, although I felt the hotel was missing a trick by having virtually nothing for young kids to do. The games room had offered table tennis, fussball, a snooker table and tv, but nothing aimed at little kids. And the snooker table would frustrate serious players, the balls roll to one corner as the table isn't level. We didn't visit the yoga classes in the mornings but I did use the gym. It had just enough equipment to be workable, but due to the policy of no air conditioning it became an extremely sweaty experience, like working out in a greenhouse.

The beach I found frustrating. It is advertised on the website as being a few yards from the chalets and having 3 miles of white beaches with tranquil waters. That simply is not the case. In retrospect I should have guessed this by the absence of beach photos on the site. It is about 20 meters from the chalets, making the view from there predominantly scrub. The beach itself is largely covered in seaweed and flotsam and jetsam of the sea. Which is great if you are a beachcomber, less so if you came for white beaches. There were many pelicans about, that was special, and we were told a one kilometer walk would bring us to flamingo territory. We kept trying to convince our little boy to make the walk with us, but the first attempt was aborted due to impending rain, the second ended due to running out of actual beach not covered in seaweed. Maybe it was the time of year/high tides.

The battle with mosquitoes was ongoing. There were a couple of complimentary patches for it in the room, and the land was sprayed occasionally by the staff. We also doused ourselves in bug spray throughout our time there. But still ended up with bites. I think you just have to accept you'll get bitten, it's the nature of the location.

It's a two hour journey from the airport, but the last half an hour is the toughest part, a dirt road loaded with potholes. It was such a bumpy section I'd think twice about the whole stay if you were prone to car sickness. And there really is nothing else around the resort in terms of places to eat, it is very isolated. Cancun it ain't. Visit Merida (worth about three hours of your time) if you are keen to get out. Or the ruins of Mayan Uxmal if you like some history, well worth it.

Overall, a lovely place but with some fundamental flaws. Maybe better for a few days rather than a week.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray. And a good book.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank deadwing
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Deadwing,

I am very thankful that you took your time to write your extensive review.

First of all, as I didn’t know the expression Curate’s Egg, I looked it up in the web. Wikipedia gives the following definition: “Some authorities define it as something that is an indeterminate mix of good and bad and others say it implies a preponderance of bad qualities.”
I sincerely hope you meant the first definition.

As in any enterprise there are things that we can and are willing to change and others that we can’t.

What we can improve:
You are totally right in your opinion of the snooker table. We had a professional one that got the moth and we had to change it. This new one was not a fortunate choice. We are sorry.
We are also thinking to hire a qualified person to do special activities for children during the seasons when we have mostly families, such as the Christmas, Easter and summer holidays. We thought of yoga for kids, theater, nature quests, etc. Any suggestions are welcome.
Last but not least, our 10 km dirt road. Yes, this rainy season has hit Xixim badly. It has rained almost continuously for 4 months, washing away the compactable dirt layer and leaving an uncountable number of holes. We could not amend this before the season, precisely because it didn’t stop raining. We hope we can get some job done now in January or at the latest in February.

What we are unable to alter:
Unfortunately mosquitoes are uncontrollable, inspite of our frecuent fumigations and all other measures, because our resort lies between two waters where mosquitoes thrive. As you say, it’s the nature of the location.
Due to the continued bad weather, seaweed and other organic waste is brought by the waves and high tides to our shores. In the 20 years Xixim exists, this is the first time this occures in December on our shores. As somebody said: “welcome to the climate change”. Nevertheless I can assure you, we have white sand beaches full of shells, conchs and other rarities from the sea. I am sorry this was not the case on your stay.

One last comment: our gym has air conditioning – perhaps you were not told, uupss, again sorry.

I very much appreciate, in spite of the above, that you find our place a lovely one.

We would obviously love you to come back in a season with less lousy weather to verify the above said.

Wishing you a wonderful 2014,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

It was my first stay in the eco resort, which I enjoyed a lot.
Our bungalow was nicely done, spacious and clean with a partial ocean view. The food was very good, especially the NY dinner. The hotel is located in the nature reserve so you are surrounded by the virgin nature. The beach is a big plus. The owner and the staff are very friendly and hospitable. You can have a complimentary transfer to and from the Celestun village, where you can have an unforgettable boat trip down the Celestun river and see hundreds of pink flamingo.
We were concerned about spending a NY eve in this remote place, but the nice and warm program was organized by the owner and the staff, making it a very special experience:the highlight for me was the life music by the local singer.

To be aware of: the road to the hotel from the village (10km) is unpaved and with constant rains it is of not the best quality, so have a bigger car to drive. There are plenty of mosquitos in the area, especially after the rain, so have a repellent with you.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yelena S
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Yelena S

We are honored and proud that this experience in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel was your first stay in an ecoresort. Most of all, that you enjoyed it a lot.

I also thank you very much for your kind comments about myself, the owner. I am not always in Xixim, as other commitments need to have my attention, but when I am I love to pamper and attend my guests, hoping that they feel like I do: at home.

I am also very pleased you liked our New Years event. We prepare it with lots of love and joy for all of you, our guests. I fully agree that the highlight is being in the beach at midnight with a bonfire and lovely soft Mexican music song by Celestun’s singer Paloma (meaning Dove).

Happy 2014!!!
Kind regards,
new york
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We spent one night at the hotel in mid-December. The place is really well kept, well designed and the staff is really helpful and super friendly. It's location is both awesome and poor. They also have games (table tennis, foosball, billiards) and the food is quite good. It is located in the area rife with local wild life and is right on the ocean. Since it is located in the preserve, there are lots of mosquitos, many more than if you'd stay outside. Unfortunately we didn't have any pants or long sleeved shorts so we couldn't get fully covered and were literally attacked by mosquitos. The repellent offered at the hotel doesn't work. If you decide to stay here, bring appropriate cloth and the repellent brand "Off". If I'd do it all over again, i'd take a quick round trip from Merida and back to see flamingoes and then go back, skipping overnight stay. If your plans are different, come well prepared.

Room Tip: if you're staying on the beach, the choice should be the ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Leonidl

Yes, this rainy season has hit Xixim badly. It has rained continuously for 3 months, flooding the valley of the dunes. Indeed, right now in December, we still have some areas that are flooded. We are lucky it is not stagnant water, it is what we call life water and it is still there, as the seawater label is unusually high for this time of the year.
Unfortunately mosquitoes are uncontrollable, inspite of our frecuent fumigations and all other measures. As you say, the best thing is to protect oneself with a good repellent and long sleaves. It also helps to take a vitamin B complex – somehow mosquitoes don’t like the smell of it.

I fully understand your statement “I'd take a quick round trip from Merida to see flamingoes and then go back”, but I can assure you that the calmness and beauty and gifts that Mother Earth has to show you here in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, are not present in the Paseo de Montejo.

Wishing you a happy Christmas and a wonderful 2014,
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Xixim is nature and luxury combined in a way that allows visitors to enjoy both without negatively impacting the breathtaking environment around them. The natural surroundings are amazing and the bird varieties are endless. The service was great too. As stated in the other reviews, mosquito repellent is a must, but if that's the price of being surrounded by natural beauty, I'll gladly pay it! I highly recommend this place to people seeking a relaxing vacation that is not the typical tourist attraction.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Nancy N,

We are obviously very happy and proud of the title you gave to your review “Definitely going back”. Thank you so much for this and your incredible marvelous review.

I also very much appreciate you to state, that pristine nature can’t live without mosquitos. You are totally right. There are lots of species here in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, that thrive around mosquitoes such as birds, geckos, dragon flies and bats amongst others.
Nevertheless we try to control them, fumigating assiduously and urge our guests to use the vitamin B patch that we provide without cost and, if this is not enough, use our bio- fliendly mosquito repellent.

Please consider Xixim ‘tu casa’ – your home. We will be very pleased to pamper you again in this pristine nature committed place.

Wishing you a merry Christmas and a joyful New Year,

Verena Gerber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celestun
Playa Maya Resorts
Cabanas Camping Ria Celestun
Hotel San Julio
Hotel San Julio
#3 of 9 in Celestun

Been to Hotel Xixim? Share your experiences!