“Great for those experienced and prepared”
Review of Hotel Xixim

Hotel Xixim
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Celestun
San Diego, California, United States
“Great for those experienced and prepared”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Service and Grounds:

The food, service and amenities were great, and we enjoyed swimming and kayaking in the ocean very much. I had a blast riding a bike on the dirt road near the complex (I maintained enough speed to outrun the mosquitoes). It's a good place to get away from technology and converse, experience nature and reflect on life.

The staff were all extremely friendly and spoke english, the food fresh, and the rooms immaculate.

On Skeeters:

Unlike some, I grew up in an environment with mosquitoes, so I wasn't bothered very much by them during the stay. I had two tiny bumps come and go on my ankle for a 3 day stay. Others had dozens of welts appear.

One of our party members developed large welts on his back from them (he was assaulted during a bike ride to see the flamingoes), while other developed painful sores.

With better preparation (Calamine lotion, incense to burn (keeps mosquitos away) and light long sleeve clothing, I would return. But, then again, I am the adventurous type.

Room Tip: Read up on and be prepared for BUGS! Not just mosquitos. Do your homework. I found the population of...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Craig K
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Craig K,

Thank you so much for your comment “It's a good place to get away from technology and converse, experience nature and reflect on life”. This describes Xixim impeccably. This is exactly what we offer!!

Yes, this rainy season has hit Xixim badly – mosquitoes are uncontrollable, inspite of our frecuent fumigations and all other measures. As you say, the best thing is to protect oneself with a good repellent and long sleaves. It also helps to take a vitamin B complex – somehow mosquitoes don’t like the smell of it.

On top of this, it still is rainy here in the Yucantan Peninsula – fish scales are growing on us. In the 20 years that Xixim exists I have never experienced so much rain and water. Nothing doing, climate change perhaps?

Please ponder returning to Xixim during the winter month from November to April May – mosquitoes are almost gone on this months. Also please consider Xixim ‘tu casa’ – your home. We will be very pleased to pamper you again in this pristine nature committed place.

Verena Gerber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Meiningen, Germany
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and me have to travel a lot because of our jobs and we truly appreciate places that offer us peace and cosiness. I would say, Xixim is medicine for our souls in our modern world. It is one of the few places in this world, where you can be in touch with the nature without giving up the comforts and benefits of our modern civilization. The fact that the hotel is in the middle of a nature reserve in Yucatan is a guarantee for silence and rest. I had never had the opportunity to see, how beaches look like in their natural being (very clean, soft sand...). The bungalows have an amazing view to the sea and we got every morning coffee in our own room. The staff is very kind and helpful and the kitchen is amazing! The tour guide is a local resident and he knows all about the animals, plants and situation from the region...
In few words: we will certainly go again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lohengrin85
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Lohengrin85,

I myself and all the staff that works at Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, thank you very much for your precise and truthful review. Comments like yours encourage us to give a better, personalized and warm service to our guests.

Thank you for labeling our resort as ‘Medicine for the SOUL’ – I also really think so. It has been to me and I sincerely hope that it has been to other guests and will be also for the coming ones.

I am obviously thrilled that you consider visiting us again in the future. Please consider Xixim ‘tu casa’ – your home. We will be very pleased to pamper you again in this place of peace and cosines, as you describe it.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was stunned by the beauty and location of this resort. It was so peaceful, quiet and the beach is very lovely. We traveled to Celestun from Merida on a day trip and decided to spend the night there with our friends and children. We were a party of 7 (4 adults, 3 kids - 8,6 & 1.5) The grounds were beautiful, the food was good, the staff were friendly and they have a great recreation room with lovely views of the water which had a foosball table, pool table, TV and Wii. The kids had a great time until....Shortly after we arrived, we went to the beach and we started getting bitten by the mosquitos. My friend developed huge welts which she still has now!! We used the patches provided by the hotel right from the start but they take 36 hours to take effect and if you are planning on being in the water, they don't stay on very long. We did also use various types of mosquito repellent with and without DEET but they really did nothing. A few days after leaving the resort, the adults all became very ill with Dengue Fever. Our symptoms included - Severe headache (mostly in the forehead), pain behind the eyes which worsens with eye movement, body aches and joint pains, nausea or vomiting. The incubation period for Dengue actually ranges from 3-14 days. The kids also got bitten badly unfortunately the 1.5 year got it the worst for the 3 kids. We were so sick that it pretty much ruined the rest of our time in Mexico which we spent at an all inclusive resort in Cancun. The walk to the rooms or the beach became a mad dash to dodge mosquitos!! The cabanas were very nice and peaceful, I did really like the look but the mosquitos pretty much ruined it all. There was also not hot water which is never nice especially with such beautiful showers. The amount of mosquito bites we all received while at this hotel was unbelievable. I would strongly recommend the hotel management to do something about the mosquito issue. They did fumigate but I think it has to do with the vegetation around the hotel. I know it's an Eco-resort but in my opinion, air conditioners in the rooms and in the restaurants, bars and gym is a must. Unfortunately, we will probably never go back because of the health risk. We have never seen or been bitten by so many mosquitos in our lives!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank VW1505
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear VW1505,

I am really very, very sorry that you and your friends got dengue fever. It is a terrible disease and yes, very painful.

As to mosquitoes, ¡sí señor! We have a reliable and renewable supply. Especially at dusk and after it rains. It is most probable, that you hit both – dusk and rain.

One of our main concerns in the hotel is precisely to control arthropods in and around our resort. We have tried everything that has been available in the market: butane gas, octenol, pyrethins, citronella, screens that attract insects and capture them – with no avail.
Also, we suggest and provide to our guests mosquito repellents of any kind, being the best, until now, our transdermal vitamin B1 patch.
By the way, I read about a new patch, which is called KITE – it sounds like magic – I really hope it works, as it should ‘hide’ yourself from the female mosquito because she can’t sense your CO2 emission, which is the reason that attracts her to you.

If this is true, our goal of controlling – not killing - the mosquito population has a chance. I am positive that we humans should not destroy the whole mosquito population, as it is the main nourishment of many species that lived and thrived here long before we settled down in this pristine environment, such as birds, lizards and iguanas.

On another matter, it is really strange and unacceptable, that you had no warm water in the bathroom – I deeply apologize – this should not happen. I will look into it ASAP.

I regret, but fully understand that you probably won’t come back because of this unfortunate experience, but I would like to invite you again to what you describe as a peaceful, quiet, lovely beach resort during the wintertime when I promise the mosquito population is almost nil.

USA
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My family, and our friends (another family) (7 people in total, 4 adults and 3 children), happened upon the Xixim on an excursion to Celestun. Originally we were only going to stay the day (the reception staff said as long as we had a food and drink tab we could use the amenities ie pool and beach access) but we decided to stay the night. Not the best choice. First the good things - the staff is extremely friendly and inviting; and spoke English exceptionally well. The bar with the foosball table and wii entertainment were especially exciting for the children. The pools, grounds and rooms were lovely upon first glance.

However, the biggest problem was the mosquitoes. They were absolutely everywhere. The beach and the rooms were by far the worst places. Our toddler (1.5years) was eaten alive, and that was with several extremely generous applications of DEET OFF products. After spending one night, all members of our party couldn't wait to get out of there, simply because of the mosquitos. Also, no air conditioning in the rooms, nor hot water in the showers made this hotel experience a less than enjoyable one. I think it truly has potential to be a great hotel, but the bug infestation needs immediate attention, and for good reason.

We thought we were rid of the Xixim mosquitoes, but 2 days after our return, things got worse for all four adults. We started thinking we had food poisoning. The bathrooms were getting an awful lot of visitation. Then, some of us complained of stiff necks and knees, but we just attributed it to long car rides and getting older (we are all in our 30's).

In my experience, I felt like I was hit by a ton of bricks - freezing chills, sharp, stabbing stomach pains, bathroom visits that averaged 2-3 per hour for 24 hours straight, strong headaches and pain in particular behind the eyes, and joint pain in different areas of my body. Everyone else was experiencing similar symptoms; this wasn't a 24 hour bug - it took several days before it finally passed. It was Dengue Fever. I have never felt so sick and awful before in my life. I know that Merida is a high Dengue Fever area, however, our friends had just flown in from Canada two days prior and our house in Merida is mosquito free. And on top of this we had all been so careful about applying generous amounts of both natural and DEET laden mosquito repellents on ourselves and our children, just in case. The amount of mosquito bites we all received while at this hotel was unbelievable. The only silver lining is that none of the children have come down the symptoms, and hopefully they won't. I would strongly urge the hotel management to do something about the mosquito issue. In my opinion, air conditioners in the rooms and in the restaurants, bars and gym is a must. I don't know if it is like this all year round, or we just came during high mosquito season, but it is definitely a health risk and not one I am willing to take again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Lexo467,

I am really overwhelmed that you and your friends got dengue fever. It is a terrible disease and yes, very painful. I am really very, very sorry.

In recent years, the transmission of dengue fever has increased predominantly in urban and semi-urban areas not in the countryside, were Xixim lies. Also, I want to point out, that this disease has an incubation time of 5 to 8 days.
The vector, the mosquito Aedes aegypti, is present along the coast of the whole Mexican Republic and in the Yucatan Peninsula, where, as you indicate, Merida has the highest incidence of dengue fever.

I agree with you, that the only way to prevent the transmission of dengue is to control and combat this mosquito. Amongst other reasons, this is why we at Xixim fumigate our suites every weak with pyrethrins and twice a day our outdoor corridors. Pyrethrins are ecofriendly biological substances that kill only mosquitoes and not bigger insects like bees or butterflies.
We also provide a transdermal patch, that should keep this flying monsters away from you during 36 hours.

I know that we have a lot of mosquitoes in Xixim during the summer time, mainly when it rains, and yes, they can be very annoying and maddening. I am also very sorry, that your 1.5 year old toddler got eaten alive despite the DDT.

I have been traveling to Xixim during the last 20 years and not myself nor anybody of my staff has been struck by dengue fever until now, thanks God.

I fully understand and I myself would be also not willing to have such an experience again in my life, but I nevertheless would like to invite you again to our pristine setting during the wintertime when I promise you will not encounter this experience again.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We found this place by coincidence but it prooved to be the best place we stayed at in the Yuctan peninsula. The staff was really sweet and the bungalow magical. We stayed in a master suite and it was very tastefully done. We were there for 5 nights in the beginning of January and actually had the place for ourselves for one night. We went for two guided tours watching birds and both the guides were brilliant. I can really recommend it. The beach is nice, but a bit wild so if you're in for a perfectly raked beach this is perhaps not for you, but if you like to get away from stress and spend time in the nature this is the perfect place.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Helene L,

Oh, how fortunate we are, that you found us by coincidence and on top of that took the time to write such a beautiful encouraging review. In my name and in that of all the staff that collaborates at Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you dearly.

Indeed we have a wild, secluded virgin white sand beach. Its richness in shells, conchs and other rarities from the sea, make it unique. This is why we try to interfere as little as possible with its nature cleaning only human debris that unfortunately is brought by the currents to our shore.

As you hopefully felt and know, Xixim es su casa – Xixim is your home – and we sincerely hope that this is not your last visit.

Hoping you had a safe trip home,
Mexico City
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I liked it so much, I now took my extended family to visit. The beach is beautiful, it is like a dream, magical, peaceful... Water temperature of the ocean in may is great! If you are interested in watching flamingos check out before reserving for the best season to watch them.
Lots of birds in the beach!
Beautiful swimming pools and rooms.
Good restaurant, not cozy, a little bit impersonal in its decoration but great staff and ceviches, jams and bread.
Beware of mosquitos and most of all of tabanos, a sort of fly!
Beautiful, unpretentious, yet with all the comfort, a place like very few left on Earth!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms close to the beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Viajeramx1,

We at Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, are very proud and deeply honored that you took your extended family to visit this pristine spot on Earth that we try to care of and preserve.

The best season to visit flamingoes in Xixim, is in the Wintertime from November to May. In the spring, March to May, they show courtship behavior and after mating they fly to Ría Lagartos, about 300 km away, also on the north coast of the Yucatan State, to hatch.
Then in November, the new flamingo families, including juveniles, fly back to the Celestún Biosphere Reserve in large flocks for another mating season. And, the natural rhythm continues.

Indeed we have a sustainable and renewable supply of mosquitos and tábanos. At Xixim we provide a mosquito repellent patch, which helps to endure them. We can not kill them all, as this would severely change and threaten the ecosystem.

Of course we desire that this is not your last visit and are confident that you know and feel that Xixim es su casa.

Have a pleasant weekend
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Xixim is located about 10km from Celestun along its own white sandy, shell-strewn beach. We were there in early February when there were very few guests and the place couldn't have been more different from the Caribbean ie Cancun coast. The hotel is unique for me because it is so unusual in the world to find a hotel of quality without pretention in a beautiful hideaway spot. We spent over a week here - the two swimming pools were lovely and beautifully kept, the rooms are very attractively furnished and we were upgraded to a 'superior' rooom with its own tiny pool - more for the birds than for us. The food was sometimes excellent, sometimes not. The serving staff had very little English between them and were generally not very experienced though always friendly and keen to please. The only disappointment I would say was that nobody from the 'management' ever came to ask us if we were enjoying ourselves - I wa surprised to find out that the manager had been in the hotel the entire time of our stay. Reception too were responsive but not pro-active. The only other caveat I would say is that you are in a conservation area so you will find bugs around. I sprayed myself against moquitoes and was never bitten but if you don't do this in the early morning and at dusk you will find it quite bad.

So all in all, ifyou ever wanted to get away from it all without leaving modern day comfort behind, this is a special place for you. There is a beautiful yoga studio and separate gym too.

Room Tip: Keep away from the main restaurant area where there is some generator noise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sjago1000
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Sjago1000,

I myself and the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, thank you so very much for having taken your time to write such an accurate, nice, enjoyable review.

I specially liked your escapist title, which reminded me of Houdini – I would have loved to have him as a guest at Xixim – and the plunge pool comment: “more for the birds than for us” – you are totally right, but, nevertheless, I think, it gives a special touch to our master suites.

I am so sorry, that Jaime Solis, our manager did not have the courtesy to greet you during your stay. I know he normally does so. What exactly happened I do not know, as one of our premises and goals is precisely personalized service. I deeply apologize.

I also hope that this is not your last visit to this pristine spot of the Yucatan Peninsula, which we so dearly care of. I am confident that you know and feel that Xixim es su casa.

Have a wonderful day,

Verena Gerber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celestun
Playa Maya Resorts
Cabanas Camping Ria Celestun
Hotel San Julio
Hotel San Julio
#3 of 9 in Celestun

Been to Hotel Xixim? Share your experiences!