“Basic but good accommodation”
Review of Hotel Gutierrez

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Celestun
Hotel Gutierrez
Ranked #8 of 9 Celestun B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location right on the beach and near the town square and the main restaurant drag. The hotel and rooms are very basic but that was OK for us for a night or so. We ended up staying two nights as we enjoyed watching the fisherman come in with their catch and going on tours in the bio reserve. Even though our room had the basics, with very little effort or expense, it could be better, such as some hooks to hang up your clothes, a night table and reading lamp. Regretfully despite the lovely location and being within spitting distance from the ocean, the fan made so much noise that it drowned out the sounds of the ocean. Our experience was positive on the whole. Personnel very friendly and relaxed and we were happy to have a room in the front. Not sure if I would have liked the back rooms which appeared to have no view and seemed dark.
We did two trips to the bio reserve and my recommendation would be that if you can get yourself to the bridge, this is a much better experience than taking a boat from the beach in front of the hotel, since you spend half your time just getting there, unless of course you like to cruise along the shoreline, besides it got very bumpy on the way back. If you leave from the bridge, the official departure place, you get to spend all your time in the nature reserve allowing more time for what you are coming to see. We saw so much more than birds that trip such as a crocodile trying to snatch a flamingo, a huge Boa right under the nesting area of Pelicans etc. ,our guide was excellent.
Although we did not eat at the restaurant, it was nice to be able to get a coffee (excellent) there in the morning and it was nice to chat with Peter to get to know the place a bit better. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to experience an authentic laid back village and lovely walks on deserted beach and visits to a superb nature reserve.

Room Tip: Front rooms - we had room #7 with a view of beach. PS there is no pool but could not un-click the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary D, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Gutierrez, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

I thank you for your kind comments the hotel is still improving its it's rooms as they can afford to do . They will be building some closets as well as night stands in the near future. Happy you enjoyed uyour stay at hotel and loved our quiet little village.
Hope to see you again in the future

Reviewed November 18, 2013

My first impression was ugh,, but then i had to remember i was in Mexico. I woke up the front desk clerk at 4pm to see the room and surrounding common area. Not wanting to go any further we choose room 8. The top floor was being renovated ( cleaned, painted and some re-tiling). Our beds were very very crappy. An air mattress i use for camping would have been better. I feared bed bugs, but to my joy it was all good. If i had a better bed this hotel would get a way better score. All windows had screens but felt it had many easily accessible break in vulnerabilities. I would only stay in the rooms at the front facing the ocean. All other rooms face each other in a small dark hallway. WIFI was good but had to ask for password. bathrooms were very basic but functional. No fridge or kitchen amenities. Restaurant was good, but i believe not owned by hotel. coffee was awesome, only open for breakfast . No hotel staff spoke English. A local expat Canadian Gary sat with us and gave us some great information about the town. Parking was free and in a somewhat secure, but open lot on hotel property. Replace the beds, give us some new towels and i will stay again. otherwise pass. The reason for low service score was due to No Service , we never received any but didn't really need any. The whole hotel needed a bath,,

Room Tip: Room 8 or the one directly above it facing the ocean. Looking at hotel from the beach, these rooms a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lippyis
Gary D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Gutierrez, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Hi

Thanks for your stay and your constructive review, with the beds they will be replacing them after the summer busy season as they are saving to be able to afford quality mattresses, we really hope that happens late summer. With the price of the hotel being so low you can see why it takes a while to afford changing beds ect. They just went through a major renovation last fall on the first two levels as well as the exterior.

THe restaurant is owned by peter and you are right best coffee in town as well as great food, he is open friday, Saturday and sunday night as well

We look forward to visiting with you again upon your return and hope you have had a wonderful Christmas and all the best in the New Year

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Loved the location, felt a little like staying in a local fishing village. the hotel is nothing flash but in good weather who cares. upstairs rooms get a good breeze through them so quite comfortable.
Local restaurants had great seafood but they all close early- fortunately Peter at the hotel restaurant does some simple but tasty western dishes- and he can make a decent coffee!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DavidKay_11
Gary D, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Gutierrez, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thanks for the great Review, we enjoyed having you and spending time with you both ,

i was thrilled to find out that you seen a big aligator at the fresh water swimming hole LOL

I hope you return to visit us the next time you are in the Yucatan

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I am at a loss for words as I traveled here from Cozumel to visit Cesestun. I'm still having trouble writing this as I think that this hotel can be a great place, with great service, amenities, and ambiance. Just some how it does not achieve that. I give it a 4 star rating because of the price. That in its self is a great deal. Mrs Gutierez and her staff are wonderful. They deserve thekudos for making this hotel a comfortable place to stay.

My issues are these...During my stay, my room was not cleaned. No biggie, I just asked for more towles. My door lock did not work, so when ever I tried to get into my room (#7) I had to go to the front desk. Finally. I felt safe enough to just leave my room unlocked as I went out. and nothing was taken from my room. I then had to use the internet, after trying to sign in around 5 times and numerous employees with passwords, I was in. As I was on the net, people would come and give me money to use the showers and bathrooms that they apparantly have to rent. I just took the money and gave it to the first employee I saw after an hour or so. But then i have to go back to the price of the place. I did not mind to help out these people to help them maintain their hotel. I will return and use them again in the future...I hope they fix the door knob on #7 Room.

Room Tip: Choose #8....Although they kicked me out of it before I got to enjoy it
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Chris K
Gary D, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Gutierrez, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Hi Dan

I thank you for your great review, sorry you had lock problems, as we had the locks mastered in Merida and they did not do a good job, the locksmith came out and fixed all locks.
I thank you for helping us, as you own a hotel in Cozumel and we all need to critique each other so we can provide the best service possible to our clients.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, Celestun is a wonderful quiet beach front community that is becoming more popular with travelers.

Hope you see you again

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We found th hotel by accident. we stayed next door the night before in a hotel recommended by the lonely planet..somewhat of a dump, although it was on the beach. We spotted the Hotel Gutierrez next door and found it had been newly renovated. We were there in a flash. Clean basic room, excellent ventilation, friendly and helpful staff, fantastic restaurant for breakfast downstairs (run by Peter who was German) and right on the beach..wow..all for $40 a night. the town is low key and wonderful. Highly recommend the flamingo boat trip, well worth it..many bird spotted besides the flamingos, and a crocodile.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Christine M

I am sorry that the Lonely Planet is somewhat outdated with its recommendation for Celestun, but at least you found us
Happy you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return the next time you are in the Yucatan

Peter does run a exceptionally good little restaurant, great food great company all while watching the most amazing sunsets in all of Mexico

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stumbled on to this diamond-in-the-rough this week and will definitey return. My grown sons and I traveled from Merida to Celestun by 2nd Class bus for over two hours and we had no idea where we were going to stay. When we stepped off the bus, a local non-intrusive freelance tour-guide named Alberto asked us if we were looking for a hotel. He simply pointed to the direction of the hotels and there were several on the beach. From looking at Hotel Gutierres, I guessed it would be at least $80 U.S. but it was $42 for an ocean-front room with two beds. We stayed three nights. I wished I had planned my trip differently. I would have liked to have stayed there a week. The rooms were simple but I found them to be perfect. I loved the view as we walked across the balcony area back to our room.

The little restaurant served breakfast from 8 a.m. to noon every day and served delicious homemade bread and homemade marmelade as well as many full breakfasts. The restaurant manager/cook spoke fluent English, Spanish, and German.

There was a roomy rooftop that appeared to have been a bar at one point. I hung my laundry up there and nobody seemed to care.

The hotel provided beach recliners for guests to relax on the shore.. We enjoyed that there were not lots of tourists. The village seemed to be just as much of a fishing village as a tourist town. So, we could watch fishing boats pull up to the shore periodically....and the pelicans that were there to greet them. My sons enjoyed walking a few steps down to the pier to see what the fishermen were catching.

Alberto's company also took us on a canoe tour that was a lot of fun. This was the same tour company that took people from the beach in front of the hotel but we opted for the adventurous canoe trip. We got to ride in one of the small mortorcycle-cart taxis out through the mangroves. We walked on raised wooden walkways through the mangroves and boarded the canoe. (There were no life-jackets but they said the entire estuary was shallow which makes sense because the flamngos were standing in it. This would have made me nervous if we had children with us. Maybe they had life-jackets for kids but I didn't see them.) It cost a total of $70 US for all three of us and was worth every penny. We got to see a fox, over thousand of flamingos, white & brown pelicans, ibis, hinga, coot, heron, cucko, mockingbirds, and a roseate spoonbill, double-crested cormorants.

Both the hotel and the tour were great. If you are heading to Celestun and nervous about finding a hotel, there seemed to be no probem just showing up. However, they did tell me that their busiest season was over Christmas. In late January, most of the hotels seem to be less than half full.

Oh, and when we returned to Merida, the local people arranged for us to ride in a taxi van which was ony $3 US for the trip. This took less than 90 minutes.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view. It is worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank jaypoo
Gary D, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Gutierrez, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thanks for your great Review we are always trying our best to make your stay with us a memorable experience, The Hotel as well as all the people in the tour business really try to help all they can.

We look forward to your next visit, Celestun as truly a gem !

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a night while visiting Celestun in anticipation of a flamingo trip the next day. We arrived after dark, and Carmen was there to receive us and show us to our rooms. The rooms are basic, but functional for a quick overnight stay and cost $30 - $40/night for two. We had an issue with hot water in the morning, but it was taken care of eventually. The nice surprise for us was that this hotel is right on the beach and the winds blowing thru' the night as we slept were incredible. The hotel is located right off the main square - so getting food was not a problem. There is also a supermarket nearby in the main square where we were able to get bread, snacks, fruit etc. The owner did not speak English, so I would recommend having someone in your group that speaks Spanish. Regarding the flamingo trip, there is usually a tour boat or two that leave a short, walkable distance from this hotel, right off the beach. But on the day we were there, there wasn't anyone offering this tour, so we ended up taking the official tour (which requires a automobile ride to reach from the hotel). Overall, the hotel is a nice and really inexpensive place to stay overnight and worked out well for our purposes.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank cooltraveller

Thank you for your kind review and we look forward to being of service to you on your next visit to Celestun