“Eintreten und wohlfuehlen!!!”
Review of Casa Peon

Casa Peon
Ranked #10 of 12 Restaurants in Celestun
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Ein Restaurant mit Bar und Zimmervermietung in einem idyllischen Fischerdoerfchen, in dem Gastfreundschaft, persoenlicher Kontakt, Leidenschaft, Hingabe, fantastisches frisch zubereitetes Essen, Sauberkeit und eine tolle Atmosphaere die herausragenden Eigenschaften sind. Ein wahrer Geheimtipp in Strandneahe.

Vielen Dank an den sympathischen deutschen Gastgeber Joern und sein engagiertes Team.
Viel Erfolg und viele glueckliche Gaeste mehr!

Grit & Robert

Reviewed April 3, 2010

What a surprise to discover such great food in little, out-of-the-way Celestun. The owner and staff were great hosts. We ate there numerous times and will certainly again on the return trip. Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 24, 2010

Wow. This is a really good restaurant. Had the mero (grouper) and it was unbelievable. The food here is fantastic. Nice break from the monotony of ceviche and tacos at the other restaurants. Very sophisticated food. I wouldn't bother eating anywhere else in Celestun. My only complaint is service is a little slow - but it's actually fast compared to most restaurants in Mexico. Great ambience too. Prices are very reasonable for the quality of the meal.

Reviewed March 13, 2010

A welcome change from the ordinary beach restaurant menu. Run by a German, Casa Peon serves clean, fresh, excellent food. We had a marvelous whole fish baked in banana leaf with veggies that the two of us could not finish for a bargain price of only 250 pesos. This was one of several fine meals we had there during our 4 day stay in Celestun. They even have grilled vegetables on the menu!!!

Find it behind the lighthouse at the south end of the main street off the beach.

Reviewed March 4, 2010

Celestun - the tinny fishing village on the edge of the Yucatan that captured my curiosity from first sight and, originally from a window seat while flying on the Cancun to Dallas route infrequently for 30 years or so. What is it and where is it, I always wondered while gazing miles downward and alone while my companions read or slept. It took the Internet to finally guide my way, and I can't say how much I enjoy this authentic little town now that I have found it. It's not for everyone but certainly a place to get away from it all.

This was my second visit to this very small fishing village lost in time, and that's why I had to take two steps backward and recite to myself "what the ..." when I by chance passed this recent addition to the town on a walk-about. It doesn't belong here I first thought, such an elegant, modern, craft-fully decorated place here in the middle of ultra small-town Mexico. That day, and still in shock I later came to regret passing it while I still had in mind the tacos and fish dishes from the 4 or so palapa restaruants along the beach. But later when I heard the rave reviews coming from fellow tourists and had a chance to carefully look over the very taunting entrees from the reasonably priced menu, I had to cave.

This place in short has arguably some of the best food I have tasted in Mexico. The spinach and fish dish I had the first night was out of this world, better than I had tasted anywhere. And what a treat to get fresh and plump properly cooked, hot off the stove, still crispy and colorful vegetables from a restaurant in Mexico. (Frequent travelers know that Mexican vegetables usually are served colorless from all the boiling.) This fish dish was to die for and I found myself letting out a likeness of the now infamous line from the movie, When Harry Met Sally. I could just hear someone saying "I think I'll have some of what he is having".

The potatoes were baked but firm with a crispy top, the broccoli was crunchy and flavorful. I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. Maybe the fact that I ate there every night of my visit says it all.