“Be firm yet assertive with Madame” 4 of 5 bubbles

La Marina
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
“Be firm yet assertive with Madame”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Doubtless you'll be eating here as you'll have been cajoled into it by Madame, who will invariably lose all interest in you after she's lured you into her lair...

The food is acceptable but not wildly fantastic. Service could have been a bit quicker and we got the impression they skimped on staff as the two people looking after the tables were rushed off their feet.

Overall fairly decent but wouldn't hurry back. Will try one of the other floating restaurants next time.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

London
“A relaxed evening on the river”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

After being buttonholed several times by Madame on our way back from the beach during our two week stay in Agde to tell us about how La Marina is the only restaurant on the river that is run by a fishing family and that they only use the freshest fish caught that day, we decided to spend our last evening out here.

We have eaten here several times before and the quality of the food and service has always been good, but I got the impression that they had upped their game even further recently. We had a lovely table in the corner and after ordering we were furnished with an amuse bouche which could probably have qualified as a starter, for me at least: tuna mayonnaise on bruschetta with a shot of what I think was carrot gazpacho. It was a bit odd (and big) but I see what they are trying to do.

My partner had a starter of red mullet fillets topped with black olive tapenade which was delicious and just right, portion-wise. For mains I had the Moules Mariniere with frites which was delicious and my partner had grilled sea bass with the usual accompaniments of rice and vegetables which was perfectly cooked and wonderful. For dessert I went for Cafe Gourmande which comprised a nice selection of desserts including Creme Catalan and my partner had the full size version which was very nice.

The service was attentive but not intrusive and we were glad we chose this place for our last dinner out of the holiday.

• Visited July 2013
Leamington Spa UK
“Delicious seafood platter.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Deserves a much higher rating. Madame is indeed a tad pushy, but polite and amusing once you accede to her charms.
The seafood is of the highest quality, and the setting is delightful.
We had lunch here twice.
Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013
Eastbourne
“Not so good this time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

Have visited here before and went back because of good food and service. Whilst the service was excellent the food was decidedly average. My fish soup was bland and my partners salmon also. The fresh fruit salad was gone but the nice waitress made one up for me which was a nice touch. I have had good shell fish here before which was good but as the season not appropriate the rest of the menu seemed disappointing. Views from the terrace great.

• Visited June 2012
France
“Floating terrace -”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

Lovely location on the quay of the old town.Staff very friendly and attentive - we both had their fruit de mere which was tailored to our wishes - lovely fresh lobster, crab, oysters etc. The meat dishes looked good - and the menu was quite extensive.Lovely deserts. Good wine list. A beautiful meal which did not break the bank

• Visited May 2011