“An eclectic evening!”

Ranked #118 of 414 Restaurants in Agde
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We decided to visit La Guinguette having eaten there for the first time last year having enjoyed the riverside setting, wine and atmosphere immensely, but with some feint memories of not quite so good food. We hadn't booked and the restaurant had lots of reservations for that evening but we were willingly accommodated and offered a choice of table.

We had aperatifs of Pastis and Sangria accompanied by some chouchou (candied peanuts) and other mixed nuts while we perused the menu. In the meantime the evening's entertainment had started up in the form of two singers performing traditional french songs. I had a starter of salad with garlic and roquefort and my partner had fish soup, which was excellent. We ordered a bottle of wine which came nicely chilled. The mains unfortunately were a bit of a let down. My partner ordered Poulet Forestier and I ordered Rouille de Seiche. My partner's chicken breast was tough and the sauce was thick and bland. My cuttlefish was cooked in a sauce so gelatinous and tasteless that I began to wish for a passing stray cat or dog to feed it to under the table.

Undeterred however, we went for dessert which was excellent. I had Iles Flottante and my partner went for the house speciality which was flambeed bananas with a spiced rum sauce. It was a shame about the mains but everything else, including the service, was great. Not sure if we'll be returning next year or not, but it's worth a visit for the experience, ambience and atmosphere. I'd perhaps play it safe with the mains and go for the banette steak, which comes with a hard to get wrong jacket potato and green beans!

1  Thank CJ76London
There are newer reviews for La Guinguette

Reviewed March 5, 2013

It's a nice place to visit after a walk along the Canal from Agde. The owners are obviously interested in Music as it's decorated with old record covers and pictures of the stars. We've had 2 meals there, one was good and the other average. There are many plants but they could do with a bit of care and attention. The situation is good on the canal and near to the River Herault.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

for a peaceful lunch at a very reasonable price. I can't believe we've lived in the area for 6 years & only just discovered this place. The service was friendly & efficient. We had mussels in garlic butter to start, followed by the rabbit in a forestiere sauce, then the dessert de maison which turned out to be bananas in a rum sauce with ice cream. All washed down with a bottle of excellent Domaine du Fadeze sauvignon. They have music some evenings & Sunday lunchtimes. As another reviewer says, the decor is very retro. This place is a gem, we'll definitely go back!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

As we had booked the day before we got what must be the best table in La Guinguette d' Asterix, overlooking the canal du midi and with a view of the river Herault, after an aperitif we started with huitres and moules with garlic followed by lapin with a forest sauce and faux filet with roquefort sauce and a desert of chocolat fondant with chantilly creme and a hot banana thing with rum and raisins all very good and helped down with a bottle of house rose. A great couple of hours spent at La Guinguette to be recommended to anybody in the area of Adge or Marseillan

Reviewed October 22, 2011

What a cracking little restaurant. A little off the Marseillan Road out of Agde, the setting of this restaurant is spectacular. It is on sort of a small island between the Midi canal and the herault river. The decor resembles a world war 2 bunker complete with camouflage. The walls are littered with old french jazz musicians and records from days gone by. The music is the same as the walls, old jazz! You will be served by a man with the most remarkable moustache you have ever seen. The menu (each one with a different front page from a french sport magazine) is not extravagant but everything on it is delicious. We have been here numerous times at this stage and have yet to find fault with any dish. For me the stand out dish here are the moule frites because they are not the normal farmed mussels but are wild! They are big, juicy and delicious washed down with an ice cold glass of fresh local rosé! After the meal there is a fabulous little vineyard around the corner called chateu marie! Well worth a look also!