“Enjoying my 3rd stay in Sofitel this year”

Sofitel Macau At Ponte 16
Ranked #13 of 95 Hotels in Macau
Hk
“Enjoying my 3rd stay in Sofitel this year”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

This hotel is still keeping up the high standard as I've always expected. If you are visiting Macau for a weekend getaway and looking for a quiet cozy place to stay than I think Ponte 16 is one of the best choices around. We stayed at the Luxury Room Club Sofitel which as located on the Executive Floor. The staff notice the seats were occupied for other guest to check in so they offered us to sit in the lounge with drinks and handle our check in process there.

We got to stay on the 16/F which was someone I was looking for since it was a bit noisy when I stayed on 17/F last time. Rooms are clean and as usual and the Hermès bathroom amenities was the best. Bed comfortableness was good, no complains.

We wanted to try MISTRAL for dinner but there were a lot of people and I was trying to look for a quiet place for dining. So we went down to the Rendezvous Lobby Lounge, atmosphere was great, there were not much people around so its great place for chatting. But I think there are still rooms for improvement for the food quality and the food varieties to choose from.

Breakfast on the executive floor was really good compared with MISTRAL on the 6/F before. It's quiet and I was able to enjoy a great breakfast, number of variety of food is almost the same as MISTRAL.

Once again, very happy with my stay. The only reason that held me giving full star was the food quality in the bar, but other than that I would really recommend others to stay in this hotel. Smiles were everywhere from the staff and sure they've treated me as their valuable guest.

Room Tip: 16/F is more quieter than 17/F if you are staying in the executive floor. Sea view is pitch dark at...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Rooms were fantastic. Big, airy and a telly in the bathroom so you can watch shows whilst getting a nice hot soak. Lovely! Whilst I was there, they had a Michael Jackson display which was quite interesting.

One minor thing, I passed the concierge some postcards to help me mail home but I never got it till today. Hope its just a small issue of it getting lost in the mail rather than the concierge forgetting to send it. Other than that the staff were all very helpful and friendly.

Location isn't very near the major tourist attractions but they have a shuttle that brings you to the ferry terminal and you can pretty much get on other hotels shuttles to get around. Also if you know how to get around with public transportation, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel. Overall lovely stay. Would recommend!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

The room and bathroom were both excellent. The staff were very helpful and the shuttle worked well. Even the casino seemed to be good value. The Michael Jackson display deserves a special mention.

The TV for the bah was a new facility for us.

The only two minor isues were that the spa (jacuzzi/whirlpool) wasn't hot and the air conditioning blew straight onto the right hand side of the bed. Despite seting the control to warmer than the room temperature, it kept blowing cold air.

It was a shame about the 2 hours 10 minutes to get through mmigration into Macau which took the edge off our visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amp-qld
Iloilo City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

When we arrived at the airport we had a hard time to instruct the driver of the taxi of the name of the hotel. Its better to have a name of the hotel in chinese characters for the taxi driver to understand. The hotel has a big Casino in the ground floor. The room is standard in size but the amenities are luxurious and modern. We arrived on the day of my birthday, they offered me a small cake. Buffet breakfast was great but we didn't include it during booking through the internet, I suggest that if you want to take bfast, it is cheaper to book it in advance. The hotel is just walking distance to most major attractions of macau most especially the senado square and ruins of St. Paul. There is a bus stop for a Venetian free shuttle just a block from the hotel, therfore its very convenient to go to Venetian. I was very happy to stay in this hotel rather than the Venetian, because this Hotel is quite homey and peaceful as compared to the Venetian thats overcrowded.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the river its quite a spectacular view to wake up every morning.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank fed89reyes
MDIRKS, Director of Quality at Sofitel Macau At Ponte 16, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear fed89reyes,

Thank you for leaving your comments about your stay at Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16 on this website.

You are absolutely correct that pre-booking breakfast as part of your package is usually the more 'economical' solution; thank you for recommending this to fellow travelers, it is great advice.

Next time you're in town, I hope that the SO Spa will be opened so that you can enjoy this as part of our services as well.

Yours sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I love this hotel and will definitely be back when I'm next in Macau. As a Club Accor Platinum member, I try to use Sofitel as often as I can as the service and room quality is consistently excellent and the Ponte 16 didn't disappoint.

I really like the location of this hotel. Although the local area looks a little rundown, it feels much more authentic than the casino strip of Cotai. Part of why I chose it was the proximity to the old town for sightseeing and for soaking up the atmosphere. I love the blend of European and Chinese in Macau. I got the Ponte 16 minibus from the ferry port and on my way had doubts over my choice of hotel - should I have chosen one of the big name casinos such as the Venetian or the Galaxy? During my stay and visit to some of the casinos, I quickly realised that I'd made the right choice with Ponte 16 and was very happy indeed not to be staying in one of the casino hotels which seemed to be so overcrowded and just way too big.

I booked a club room and was upgraded to a club room with a river view because of my Platinum status. I was also given wine and chocolates as a welcome gift. The room itself was beautiful, maybe a little dark but the usual super-comfy Sofitel bed with excellent Hermes amenities and Bose ipod dock.

I ate using room service a few times and had one of the best burgers I've ever had! I ended up having it again as it was so good the first time and I thought I'd regret choosing something else from the menu if it was wasn't as good as the burger. I also ordered a glass of wine and was impressed by room service bringing the wine bottle so I could taste the wine first and if I didn't like it, send it back and try something else. This attention to detail is exactly why I choose Sofitel when I can.

My only grumbles were the lack of turndown service, and the exceedingly busy Club lounge. The Club lounge staff were a little overwhelmed at times with the sheer volume of guests - often there were no plates or glasses available, let alone tables for breakfast! But these issues were usually dealt with in 5-10 mins and given that it was golden week in Asia, the hotel was fully booked so I think this was probably the hotel at it's busiest.

One final thing. As I checked out, the Club staff member insisted on not only escorting me (and carrying my very small bag) downstairs but she called the shuttle bus driver on his mobile phone to find out how long before he arrived, and she wanted to wait at the shuttle bus stop with my bag while I was told I could sit in the lobby where it was more comfortable. Very nice of her but I really was more than capable of waiting for the bus myself! It seems maybe some guests aren't!

I will definitely be back to this hotel!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the club floor - both City and river views are good. Non-smoking club rooms are on the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bibbju
Bonjour!

Dear bibbju,

What a great review for Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16! Thank you so very much for all your warm and kind comments, both about the property but also about the benefits of the Le Club card for Accor hotels.

I was a little surprised to hear that you did not receive our customary Turn-Down service, so I'm going to ensure we don't forget this in future. I'm sorry we overlooked this during your recent stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Bengaluru, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I had big expectations from this Sofitel hotel in Macau...I stayed there with my Family on Nov 2011 but i was dissipointed because of following-

1. Their Transport/Shuttle Service is slow , we had waited for more than 15 mins at the ferry.
2. There waiters are not gud in english speaking...it was very difficult to communicate with them.
3. The Hotel was quite far from the main attractions like Vetican Hotel/City of Dreams/Macau Tower.
4. They took my credit card for some deposit and then deducted money after a month, when i asked, they lied and have not refunded me money. So guys be careful...

I will Never stay in this Hotel in future and will not recommend to anyone..

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Bonjour!

Dear Gaurav_Maggi,

Hmmm, I'm sorry you did not have a good stay at our hotel. Please allow me to answer a few points for you:

- The Ponte 16 casino shuttle buses that run to the hotel from the ferry terminal operate at least every 20 minutes. We encourage the Ponte 16 casino management to operate the shuttle buses more frequently during peak periods and we will certainly take your comments on board. The alternative to the complimentary shuttle bus could be a 30 - 40 MOP (less than $5) taxi ride directly to the hotel.

- I'm sorry that you had an experience with some of our ambassadors who did not speak English fluently; most of our ambassadors speak at least two languages and we will continue to develop our language skills.

- The hotel location is indeed a 20-minute taxi ride from the Cotai strip (where you will find the newly-opened larger casino hotels). Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16 is located in the vintage part of the Macau peninsula, close to the historical sites such as the Fortress, Senado Square and the ruins of St Paul, which is plainly advertised on all of our brochures, websites and collateral.

- Lastly, we are not in the habit or taking money that is not fairly earned, so it seems that the financial mishap you had with our hotel needs to be solved urgently. I will look into this immediately; if you could please contact me directly on maarten.dirks@sofitel.com I would be very grateful.

Yours truly,