“Great hotel for old town & local culture”

Sofitel Macau At Ponte 16
Ranked #14 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I love this hotel and will definitely be back when I'm next in Macau. As a Club Accor Platinum member, I try to use Sofitel as often as I can as the service and room quality is consistently excellent and the Ponte 16 didn't disappoint.

I really like the location of this hotel. Although the local area looks a little rundown, it feels much more authentic than the casino strip of Cotai. Part of why I chose it was the proximity to the old town for sightseeing and for soaking up the atmosphere. I love the blend of European and Chinese in Macau. I got the Ponte 16 minibus from the ferry port and on my way had doubts over my choice of hotel - should I have chosen one of the big name casinos such as the Venetian or the Galaxy? During my stay and visit to some of the casinos, I quickly realised that I'd made the right choice with Ponte 16 and was very happy indeed not to be staying in one of the casino hotels which seemed to be so overcrowded and just way too big.

I booked a club room and was upgraded to a club room with a river view because of my Platinum status. I was also given wine and chocolates as a welcome gift. The room itself was beautiful, maybe a little dark but the usual super-comfy Sofitel bed with excellent Hermes amenities and Bose ipod dock.

I ate using room service a few times and had one of the best burgers I've ever had! I ended up having it again as it was so good the first time and I thought I'd regret choosing something else from the menu if it was wasn't as good as the burger. I also ordered a glass of wine and was impressed by room service bringing the wine bottle so I could taste the wine first and if I didn't like it, send it back and try something else. This attention to detail is exactly why I choose Sofitel when I can.

My only grumbles were the lack of turndown service, and the exceedingly busy Club lounge. The Club lounge staff were a little overwhelmed at times with the sheer volume of guests - often there were no plates or glasses available, let alone tables for breakfast! But these issues were usually dealt with in 5-10 mins and given that it was golden week in Asia, the hotel was fully booked so I think this was probably the hotel at it's busiest.

One final thing. As I checked out, the Club staff member insisted on not only escorting me (and carrying my very small bag) downstairs but she called the shuttle bus driver on his mobile phone to find out how long before he arrived, and she wanted to wait at the shuttle bus stop with my bag while I was told I could sit in the lobby where it was more comfortable. Very nice of her but I really was more than capable of waiting for the bus myself! It seems maybe some guests aren't!

I will definitely be back to this hotel!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the club floor - both City and river views are good. Non-smoking club rooms are on the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank bibbju
MDIRKS, Director of Quality at Sofitel Macau At Ponte 16, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

Bonjour!

Dear bibbju,

What a great review for Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16! Thank you so very much for all your warm and kind comments, both about the property but also about the benefits of the Le Club card for Accor hotels.

I was a little surprised to hear that you did not receive our customary Turn-Down service, so I'm going to ensure we don't forget this in future. I'm sorry we overlooked this during your recent stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

M.Dirks

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I had big expectations from this Sofitel hotel in Macau...I stayed there with my Family on Nov 2011 but i was dissipointed because of following-

1. Their Transport/Shuttle Service is slow , we had waited for more than 15 mins at the ferry.
2. There waiters are not gud in english speaking...it was very difficult to communicate with them.
3. The Hotel was quite far from the main attractions like Vetican Hotel/City of Dreams/Macau Tower.
4. They took my credit card for some deposit and then deducted money after a month, when i asked, they lied and have not refunded me money. So guys be careful...

I will Never stay in this Hotel in future and will not recommend to anyone..

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Bonjour!

Dear Gaurav_Maggi,

Hmmm, I'm sorry you did not have a good stay at our hotel. Please allow me to answer a few points for you:

- The Ponte 16 casino shuttle buses that run to the hotel from the ferry terminal operate at least every 20 minutes. We encourage the Ponte 16 casino management to operate the shuttle buses more frequently during peak periods and we will certainly take your comments on board. The alternative to the complimentary shuttle bus could be a 30 - 40 MOP (less than $5) taxi ride directly to the hotel.

- I'm sorry that you had an experience with some of our ambassadors who did not speak English fluently; most of our ambassadors speak at least two languages and we will continue to develop our language skills.

- The hotel location is indeed a 20-minute taxi ride from the Cotai strip (where you will find the newly-opened larger casino hotels). Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16 is located in the vintage part of the Macau peninsula, close to the historical sites such as the Fortress, Senado Square and the ruins of St Paul, which is plainly advertised on all of our brochures, websites and collateral.

- Lastly, we are not in the habit or taking money that is not fairly earned, so it seems that the financial mishap you had with our hotel needs to be solved urgently. I will look into this immediately; if you could please contact me directly on maarten.dirks@sofitel.com I would be very grateful.

Yours truly,