“French dinner buffet - a gimmick!”

Sofitel Macau At Ponte 16

Reviewed July 6, 2011

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank An Accor traveler
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed 2 days & 1 night there. It was bit feeling strange when we were transferred to the hotel from ferry pier by the hotel shuttle bus, it casued by the changes of scenes which the bus travelled along ferry pier, going passed by many new modern hotels & modern buildings and we started to feel strange when the bus went into the old town area where we could see very old buildings, residential ones, old pier which we saw in movies....we started to worry about the hotel in which we were going to stay.

But it totally changed after we finally arrived at the Ponte Sofitel, Macau. It was quite a new-looking from the outside of the hotel and the lobby was looking good. We found we were warmly welcomed. The hotel team was good & well trained. The time for the check-in & check-out time was very acceptable and very helpful by the front office staffs. Our room was located on 14/F with river view. Once when we got in the room, we were 100% satisfied with the decoration inside the room. Both the room and the bathroom was comfortable, well-designed and clean. The bed was very good and we had a very nice sleep. Moreover, "free" Wi-fi was provided in the room which was excellant. The buffet breakfast was good providing lots of choices of dishes, both western & asian.
The location of the hotel was fine for us and just took 10-15 minutes walk to the square.
There was a casino inside the hotel and we didn not visit it cos we were told that mainly local Macau citizens and people from mainland China use to hang out there and it looked very "smoky" inside.

The view at the swimming pool was good which facing the river but it was bit small. I was awared that hotel guests could only use the pool on 6/F but I could notice that there was another bigger swimming pool on next floor which others told it was only reserved for the guests who live in apartment floors in which there was no people using that pool but bit crowded at the hotel guests pool, wouldnt it be nice if the management would look into the opening of both pools to hotel guests.

There was free shuttle bus from ferry pier to hotel. Many room for improvement in the time consumed for waiting the shuttle services in both ends.

In conclusion, we had a lovely stay and would like to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank catcafe888
Reviewed July 1, 2011

The Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16 proves that all the Sofitel hotels have a above average standard. I stayed with my wife for vacation and business purpose and I must say it was a good choice after I have been in another hotel in Macau a few months before (cant remember which one).
The cost benefit of this hotel is a huge plus for us to chose it. Service is impeccable. When we checked-in I mentioned to the receptionist that it was our 2nd honey moon and he gently upgraded us into a room that had a river view.
The room itself was not very new, but is was very cozy and warm. The good thing about Sofitel hotels is that they give us L´Occitane products in the bathroom and we really enjoyed it again.
The hotel is a little bit distant from central Macau, but is very walkable- around 15 minutes if fast-paced. However this can be considered a plus since you are not very close to the crowd that sometimes can be very annoying.
Room service was nice. Continental breakfast was full and full of choices- lots of fresh fruits!
They also have a small casino facility (compared to other hotels in Macau) and since we are not gamblers we enjoyed to walk around...if we were players we wouldnt enjoy that much I guess.
In the end, this Sofitel is just like all the Sofitels we have been. Great service, great product!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzano_BR
Reviewed June 25, 2011

had been to Accor group's pullman else where,
and learnt Sofitel is rather a notch up. It was the last weekend of Aug , a night cost $3000
for a twin bed room, the design was not quite my cup of tea, though this is purely subjective judge.
Location: in the old town of Macau, a pros for those tourist which attracted by the scene of local people and macau of the oldtime (before those foreign entertainment giant group came), problem is, i never can get a taxi out of the hotel, rather, have to line up for local bus service or 15-20 mins walk out.

Room: the bed was sub standard, my experiences in macau, a usual twin is enough for 2 ppl sleeping in ( from my exp of Grand Hyatt, Hard Rock, Venetian, Encore), btw, I'm not a 200pound guy. Room size is standard.

View: had a river view room, i can see Zhuhai (the boarder city of China), just across the river. To those tourists didnt apply for chinese visa and longing to know what China is like, it's a plus.

Casino: if you wanna taste a bit of some chinatown backdoor gamble room, there you go. Full of crowded from Mainland ( and not those big whale type, you would see in Wynn, Grand Lisboa).

I wish this hotel is named as novotel or pullman, so that i could self adjust the expectation. As my subject stated, I wish i had done some research on this Sofitel, I would have not been that disappointed, my bad I admitted.

Room Tip: no clue
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank erikuryo
Reviewed June 21, 2011

The location is near the river, less than 10 minutes walk from the down town old quarter main square, and I enjoyed a very nice view of the riverside overlooking mainland China on the other side of the water, with the typical boats maneuvering up and down the stream.
The hotel team is great, welcoming and guiding you through the hotel superb lobby. The hotel is not too big so you still feel the personal touches.
The food by the French chef and his team is great; with on top the nice wines, cheese and pastries.
The hotel has a nice pool and terraces overlooking the river and that open space emphasized the very nice atmosphere of the hotel.
The standard of the brands as well thought, I could feel that throughout all of the staffs handling, using room service, calling the operator. The quality of the towels and bathrobe is incredible and they where finalizing the installation of the WiFi in the rooms so I think it should work fine now.

I could not find anything to improve except maybe:
- labeling the light switches at the entrance of the room
- finding another way to place the very nice cotton foot mat that blocks the opening of the toilet.

Above all, the price was very decent and I definitely recommend this hotel, once of the best I’ve ever stayed in!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Benchmarker
Reviewed June 20, 2011

The hotel is located in a convenient location and away from the Casion zone. Room is clean, gym and the pool isvery nice. There is no Wi Fi in the hotel and I need to pay for the internet services which in my room. When I checked out I end up pay quite a few extra dollars and the clerk told me I should buya package which included the breakfast and internet at a much lower rate when I checked in. Well, the problem was nobody tell me there was such package when I checked in. Don't bother about the A Club loyalty programe, I signed up before my booking and stayed in two different Sofitel hotel during my trip and the points were not credit to my account. They asked me to send all the proof of stay documents and almost 7 months I still not hear anything yet. very poor customer services.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the harbour.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
MDIRKS, Manager at Sofitel Macau At Ponte 16, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2011

Dear skywalkerinbc,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay with Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16.

We are concerned to hear about the difficulties you have encoutered with the A Club loyalty program and we will ensure that your feedback gets followed up promptly by the appropriate party.

Since your stay in November 2010, we are very happy to share with you that Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16 now boasts free WIFI internet throughout the hotel, since the beginning of this month, following feedback received from travelers such as yourself.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16 some time in the future to let you endulge in our award-winning, French art of Hospitality. If you have any further questions or feedback, feel free to contact us directly.

warm regards,