“Tired Hotel needs imploding”
Review of Grand Waldo Hotel

Grand Waldo Hotel
Ranked #71 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed one night at the Grand Waldo Hotel and it was one night too many. No wash clothes in the rooms, not as spacious as they should have been. Mattresses were like sleeping on a rock: "hard" does not describe them adequately. We were part of a Sinorama tour and, quite frankly, after seeing the galaxy and the Venetian, I cannot understand why anyone would want to stay here. Casino is small, smokey, dirty but hotel lobby is pretty. Store in hotel lobby sells meats like and an entire pig carcass! never in all my travels have I seen that.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the Galaxy or the Venetian hotels instead!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Grand Waldo Hotel

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Good Location for those who want to experience Macau on a budget. Very close to the prime Venetian and Galaxy Hotels. Has its own casino. Very Nice Rooms. View from outward facings rooms is great. Breakfast could include more options for non Oriental Patrons.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Grand Waldo is not a bad hotel for the price.
It's biggest drawback is the location, and that the hotel doesn't provide shuttle buses. There's not many cabs waiting around this area. But it's only about a 10 minute walk to the Galaxy where you can get cabs and shuttles easily.
The rooms are a bit small and a bit tired, but otherwise clean and the bed is really comfortable. Try to get a room facing to the west for a better view.
Breakfast was good with many options, both Western and Asian.
The pool was the highlight for us. It was new, clean and virtually empty of people during the day.
The staff during our check in were friendly, efficient and helpful. Unfortunately, during our check out, they were unfriendly, inefficient and unhelpful! Maybe we caught them on a bad day, or maybe staff performance is generally inconsistent.
All in all, the Grand Waldo is fine if you don't mind walking to get transport.

Room Tip: Rooms on the West side have a better view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I didn't stay at the hotel, but I did try the spa. 400HK to enter and you can stay for 12 hours. On the first floor there's separate areas for men and women. You start in with the lockers to store your belongings. Next there's a showering area along with wet and dry sauna. Jacuzzi and what looked like a wading pool. There's a small selection of beverages and fruit. . On the second floor there's a restaurant which had the lowest prices I saw in Macau and a sleeping area where the very comfortable seats fully recline. There's free wifi and the seats come with what I assumed was a tv.

You can get a number of services for 108HK: 30 minute massage, manicure, pedicure, ear cleaning. Longer massages are more. I had a Swedish style massage 90 minutes for 300HK I think.

A lot of people use the spa a cheap alternative to a hotel room but I would feel uncomfortable sleeping in a public space although it appeared very safe and quite. Additionally you would be carrying your belongings with you during the day.

My girlfriend and I spend about 6 hours there at cost of 1900HK. I left feeling like a new man and thought it was a fantastic value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Thanks for the suite upgrade, room is spacious and cleanliness OK, there are few points i would like to bring up.

1. Free wireless...not really free, you can only access at the hotel lobby..I tried but not able to. Due to no access wireless in the room, I waited my friend in the room for more than one hour for dinner, we only communicate via "Viber" but due to no access wireless in the room, I waited untill 10.15pm and went dinner on my own.

2. Not enough bathroom amenities and no face towel

3. No iron and ironing board in the closet

4. Room service menu not so much variety

5. Breakfast spread OK but when I check out on Thursday at 7am, no eggs is available (not even prepared - pre cook), chef was not around at 7am to prepare eggs for guests....so, is that means those guests who eat breakfast early will not have eggs??? i felt I was being short change....in the end, I left the hotel without a full stomach.

6. Location so so...not much taxi waiting at the driveway but Concierge can call for you.

7. On the Agoda web, they posted two swimming pool but only one swimming pool (out door) is available. IN the website, the pool looks like an indoor pool but is actually a children pool and the pool has been closed down....I will suggest you remove the picture from the website...coz the indoor pool perception is one of the reason I book this hotel.

8. Spa- I have to pay an entry fee of MOP 300 on top of the service, the gal told me I can stay in the Spa and make use of their facilities and rest in the Spa for up to 12 hrs....I have a hotel room, why should I stay in the Spa for 12 hrs..to be very honest, this selling point will only work for the gambles who didn't manage to get a hotel room and after gamble for so many hours but it doesn't work for a hotel guest.

9. Feel warm in the middle of the night, guess they have a standard tempurature and it will auto switch off at a certain timing.

I will still prefer to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel in future...

Room Tip: Ask for pool view room..better view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I was totally disappointed with the hospitality at Grand Waldo. I stayed here from August 20 - 22, 2012 and had a very bad experience there.

Check-In
We reached hotel 2 hours before the check-in time (3 p.m.) We were bluntly asked to return at 3 as our room was not ready. No welcome drink, or even a glass of water was offered. To our surprise, the room was not ready even when we returned at 3. We had to wait another 45 minutes to get our room keys.

Rooms:
The rooms are smallest I have seen in any 5 star. I regret not paying 500 HKD more and staying in Venetian where rooms are 4 times bigger. Rooms were otherwise ok.

Service:
Service is where this hotel totally sucks. Can you imagine that a waitress asked us leave the restaurant at 10.20 am while we were having the breakfast saying that breakfast time is over (10.30 am). In most of the hotels, you are politely asked to pickup whatever food items you want to eat before cleaning up the buffet. But here you are asked to leave the restaurant! They didn't even allow me to take my coffee cup back to my room (as if I would steal the mug!).

Shuttle Bus:
There is a free shuttle bus service between many hotels in Macau - Venetian, Galaxy, Sands etc. But that service is not available for Grand Waldo. You have to either hire a taxi or walk to the nearby Galaxy Hotel to avail the free shuttle service.

Most of the hotels I have been to go extra mile to make visitor's stay comfortable. But Grand Waldo doesn't know an iota of customer service. I would definitely NOT recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank psanet
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed there for one night in early August 2012 as it has rated itself for a 5* property. What a wrong call! This is a 3* or 4* hotel at most. The property itself is big. Rooms were basic, cleaning was not done property, carpets were stained (it was already one of their newly renovated rooms). No noise cancellation from the doors so we could hear exactly what happened outside our doors all night. Bathroom doors were also stained and aged so much already. Slippers were made out of paper. Room was very small. The plus side is they have 24 hours convenient stores downstairs by the lobby that not many casino hotels offer ie. convenient stores for crisps and chocolates.

To be fair, staff were attentive and helpful.

DO NOT use their in room massage service, it was awful, awful and so awful. No skill at all (I am a Spa fans and have tried many massages/spas worldwide) and asked for tips at the end and expected at least 20% of how much the massage costed. Rude attitude.

I will certainly NOT go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple