“Great Hotel”

Grand Emperor Hotel
Ranked #12 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We have just returned home after staying at the Grand Emperor for 4 nights. We stayed on the 17th Floor in a deluxe room. Very nicely appointed and a good size. We cannot speak highly enough of the excellent and friendly service we received from all staff members with whom we had contact - from the reception,to Annie Hu customer liaison, concierge, information staff and the dining room staff. The buffet breakfast was wonderful with an excellent choice and dishes constantly replenished. The hotel is very well situated to enjoy all of Macau's heritage sites as well as an easy walk to several casinos and shops. The hotel's shuttle bus service is marvellous and free for hotel guests. We highly recommend the hotel to any traveller and would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the 17th non smoking floor for a front entrance facing room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tropiglo

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Only had 2nights in the hotel before going to hong kong.
The hotel even though not the most lavish, the room was fantastic.
There was ample room with a great lounge area comfortable king size bed and
More than ample bathroom.
The breakfast buffet was sensational with very helpful and friendly staff thanks to kent and moon for making our stay so wonderful.
The hotel is central to the other hotels with the city of dreams bus across the road at the Sintra which takes you on across the bridge to even more casinos.
The friendly staff Annie who assisted us with traveling tips and shopping ideas was great she was always smiling and full of information.
I would recommend this hotel for either a short or longer stay

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Johnno1960
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We have just come back from Macua. We stayed at the Grand Emporer for 5 nights. Our room was lovely, we stayed on the Executive Floor. the staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially the Executive floor reception staff, they couldnt be more helpful.
We went to there Casino (which is very small)!) we are not huge gamblers but thought we would give it a go. I was playing a poker machine and my husband went off to get us both a drink!! he finally came back after about 1/2 an hour, the bar staff, if thats what you call them cannot speak a word of English and he said he practical made the drink himself!! They had no coke, no orange juice not much of anything!! I think if they want to cater to Westeners then they need a few people who speak English.....and have a few more drinks in the bar!
The hotel is in a great spot, we could walk to most things or catch a courtesy bus to anywhere!
One thing I didnt like was there wasnt a pool!!
I would recommend this Hotel to friends.

Room Tip: the excutive floor rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skipMelbourne
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Every year in Macau we stay in this hotel, this hotel is a good base & not huge like a lot of hotels in Macau.
Location is very convent you can walk into town & Lisboa hotel easily & Yohan plaza is next door!
There are also underground parking.
The rooms have recently been renovated but it seems from 18floors up (they are currently working on floor 17-16) so anyone looking to go there request for a room floor 18+
ask for a room by the elevator...you can somehow catch free wifi!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lalalatracy
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Good lead-in hotel. Good rooms and good service. Nothing fancy or over the top, but the staff did the job. Fairly good location with shops and restaurants just a short walk away.

Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Qonrad G
Reviewed February 25, 2012

This is my second trip to Macau, so I decided to book a different hotel for this trip. I booked this hotel thru Airasiago but Airasiago booking website are unable to put any request for non smoking room. I send an email to hotel for this request. During check in, it was very smooth, they had allocate a room for us at their "non smoking" floor and also given us a very big room. They have shuttle bus service for border & airport transfer, this make us very convenient. The only complain is the lift. Hotel guest are sharing same lift with the casino guest, sometimes need to wait for few minutes. As for location, it was very near to the famous egg tart stall and all shopping area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MickeyLoveTravel
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I have stayed this at hotel twice already and overall I believe that they offer packages that are good value for money. However, we were very unimpressed by some of the staff at this hotel & with the number of hotel choices in Macau, I doubt we will return to this one. The lady who checked us in could not understand half the things we were saying. She clearly could not communicate well in English! We booked a package that included several sightseeing tickets and meal/spa coupons, and she either issued the wrong number of coupons (eg. 1 spa voucher for hubby & I as opposed to 1 spa voucher per person) or failed to do so altogether. When we asked about them at check-in she said we didn't need our vouchers....we should just produce our room card/confirmation number at the restaurant and we would be given our meals/dessert. Of course this did not happen & we were almost turned away from their restaurant as a result. The lady at the restaurant (Kitty) was kind enough to call the front desk & explain the problem & handed me the phone....the woman on the other end asked if I would mind coming back to get the vouchers) Seriously??? I mean, I just spent over 15 minutes explaining to her at check-in that our package was supposed to include these vouchers & she told me I wouldn't need them, and then she expects me to make another trip downstairs to get them? I was quite annoyed at this point, so I decided to leave...but Kitty stopped me & got us seated saying she would sort the problem out. A few minutes later, we were approached by the hotels guest relations officer (Carmen I think?) who apologized and said that everything had been sorted out & to call her if we had any other problems! I should also mention the fact that my hubby & I were celebrating our wedding anniversary that day & no special message or any other gesture was shown on part of the hotel despite me informing the hotel of this telephonically. I don't expect freebies, but our package included a bottle of wine already....it would have been a nice touch if the hotel had arranged a congratulatory note to go with it...it's the little things that matter! Moving on to the rooms....We got the newly renovated rooms which are much better than the dingy looking rooms we stayed in the last time. I actually never thought I would return after the previous trip, but their current package deals and the fact that rooms have been renovated sounded promising. I have stayed at numerous hotels in Macau...our favourite thus far being the Venetian. In comparison, the room at Grand Emperor is far smaller. The newly renovated rooms also do not have a bathtub, so if u're thinking of taking a relaxing bubble bath after a tiring day...think again! Their shower cubicles are quite spacious though and their bathrooms are well stocked with essentials such as dental kits, vanity kits, shower caps, etc. Our package came with a buffet dinner at Royal Kitchen...It was a good buffet with a decent amount of variety. I have certainly tasted better, but considering that all this is thrown into their package, it's a pretty good spread. We enjoyed thing like sushi, lamb chops, sea food dishes with prawns, mussel, crab, etc. They dessert selection was quite good at well. The staff at this restaurant were excellent...if it weren't for them (& the ladies at the spa...more abt that later) I would have given this a 2 star rating. Particularly worth mentioning is the brilliant service we got from Yang, Edzel and Kitty....very warm and helpful! The spa is the final thing I would like to mention. My husband and I both enjoyed an hour long massage at the spa and we can warmly recommend them! Service was fantastic and the prices are reasonable compared to other hotels, especially if you have discount vouchers that you can make use of. Overall, I would only recommend staying at this hotel if you get a good package deal and stay in their renovated room. The spa is another reason you might want to give it a try. However, if space, all-round brilliant service, bigger food/shopping variety or romance is what you're looking for....you might want to try another hotel. I will definitely be trying another hotel the next time round...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple