“Great hotel, excellent rate”
Review of Pousada de Mong-Ha

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macau
Pousada de Mong-Ha
Ranked #18 of 95 Hotels in Macau
Metro Manila, Philippines
“Great hotel, excellent rate”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

After browsing some reviews on this very website, we went for the Pousada de Mong-Ha (Mong-Ha Hotel). It seemed to offer a very good price for excellent service. And we were not disappointed!

As Macau is not too big, going to the hotel from the ferry terminal (arriving from HK) was simple. We took a cab, costing us less than 30 HKD one way. The hotel is a bit up a the Mong-Ha hill (where there also seems to be a fortress, which we did not visit however). While this locates it outside the city centre (where most of the sights are), getting to the centre is easy: simply take Bus 5, at a cost of MOP 3.10 (have exact change, which the front desk can provide). The newer casinos are on the southern island, and will likely involve changing bus along the way - or taking a cab, of course. Cabs are not expensive to take, since the Macau not too big anyway. The hotel provides a bus to the city centre, but it only goes around 3x per day - 10am, 11:30am and 6pm, which was not convenient for us.

The front desk staff were very friendly and extremely helpful, despite some minor challenges with communication (they were not speaking perfect English, but trying quite hard).

The room was excellent, clean and tastefully decorated in blue-and-white ceramic tile style. The pillows were extremely soft, and one medium-soft one was also provided in the room. If you like firm pillows, you may have to order one extra if needed. The bathroom was good, and came with a shower that had "massage jets" (too low for me [I'm about 6ft/1.8m], but probably good for people of lower height). We also availed of room service to order whisky - I ordered a double, and got served something that looked like a 1 1/2 - I got charged for a single (at 50 MOP), so that was ok.

The hotel is laid out very nicely, and features some roof top gardens, if you are into that kind of thing.

There's Wi-Fi in the room, along with a PC (running XP) - each room has their own Wi-Fi, in fact. TV is present, and had some English channels.

Breakfast was included, and was quite good - apart from the buffet, coffee was offered by the waiters, as were the eggs, done to your preference (mine being soft-boiled, which was executed perfectly). The only thing missing may have been cheese, but the selection was good enough to make up for that.

When we left, the hotel called us a taxi to go to the airport (which is on the southern island). We left our luggage there and explored the casinos for a couple of hours, which provide free shuttles from and to the airport and ferry terminals.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank xristoph

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

After all the good reviews on tripadvisor, I was keen to try out this boutique hotel, and given ridiculous prices of hotels in Macau, all amongst the tacky and excessive casino/tourist attractions, it was nice to find a reasonably priced institution in a quiet/peaceful location.

As soon as you step out of the taxi, you enter a beautifully laid out hotel, with all the nice touches of Portugese decor, and as most of the staff are in training, they are all very keen to please...offering a wonderful welcome and introduction to the hotel.

The room was a very good size, with a separate study area which splits out the bathroom and the bedroom. There is also a small balcony overlooking the rooftop garden which was very beautiful and extremely peaceful to just sit and chill in the early mornings or to put your feet up after a long day out.

The room and bathrom were all very clean, with all amenities provided for.

I had only one complaint to make about my stay, and it's the room unfortunately has a musty odour, which I'm not sure is due to the building, or the general humidity of the city. Particularly when the rooms has been enclosed for the whole day while we were out, when we returned, the smell was quite unbearable.

Secondly, there was some room for improvement with the breakfast, although quality of the food was pretty good, there was a lack of selection and supply. The morning staff also was a bit inconsistent, with not all guests being offered tea or eggs (which were not supplied at the buffet).

Anyhow, overall a very pleasant stay, and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Peridot28
Muntinlupa City, Philippines
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This a long overdue review.....stayed there last year with my sister. The room is absolute perfect! big comfortable beds, your own computer with internet access (i just adore the study table where the computer is perched, wish i could have something similar), lovely bathroom complete with toiletries...and their breakfast is so worth it.

The student staff are very accomodating and helpful (they also speak fluent english so communication was never a problem).

It is just unfortunate that you literally have to trek uphill to get to their place. My sister and I made the mistake of getting there through bus from the ferry terminal (we figure we could navigate our way like what we did in HK) . We are used to walking but the trek seriously tried our leg muscles. We used the taxi our way back to the airport. It should be noted, however, that they have a free shuttle service to different parts in Macau (just be aware of the different time of departure) which certainly makes up for their. I suggest that in after your wanderings in Macau just take a taxi back to the hotel. But if you want to take the bus, just be prepared to have some coins with you (and, of course, the trekking)

Despite the trekking I would definitely recommend this place and would definitely stay here again if I go back in Macau

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank June P
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel is more like an institution for students taking hotel and restaurant courses to have their practicum and actual experience in dealing with actual hotel guests. The rooms are big and kept very clean with comfortable bed and pillow, lcd tv, ref, own computer, free wifi, nice clean bathroom and comes with complimentary buffet breakfast. They also offer welcome drink, free photo and provide free transfer to the macau ferry terminal, center of macau and a ma temple. All the student staffs are courteous, friendly and willing to help. The location of the hotel is the remote area of the city but there are some shops and eating places about 3 blocks from the hotel. You need to walk up hill for about 5 minutes to reach the hotel from the main street if you are taking a bus. With the rate only 1/3 of a casino hotel and the experience of your personal contribution to their curriculum, its really worth to try it yourself.

Room Tip: Deluxe room are really big with a separate area for computer and nice big bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dom094
Hangzhou
Reviewed September 23, 2012

As many would have read here, this hotel is affiliated with a hospitality school, so the staff are all students. Service was unbelievable, they were attentive to the final detail. Rooms are very big and comfortable, and for around half to 1/3 of the price of the casino hotels, you won't find better value in Macau.

The only thing is it is a little out of the way, not near any of the main casinos or sights, but not dar, Macau is so small you can get most places in a 10-20 taxi ride. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aussieinhangzhou
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed 1 night in this educational hotel because the hotel room price was like 50% lower than other hotels in Macau. I stayed in the deluxe room with a king bed, and the room was quite spacious compared to the price that I paid. It has a large bathroom with jets shower and outside of the bedroom it has a computer (free internet access) and a desk. The room was very clean and the king bed was quite comfortable. I really like the welcome shortcake cookies that were in the room were very tasty (I wish I can buy some to bring home). Each room also included complimentary breakfast buffets for guests, which was very convenience for guests to eat right after we woke up. The breakfast was delicious and had quite a lot choices of food even though it was complimentary to hotel guests. I also like the interior design of the hallway, corridor and garden, as it was made up of Portuguese and some oriental artworks. The fountain in the garden was quite a nice place for some photos. The staff are all students who study at the hotel institution and they work at the hotel as their practicum to gain experience. These students are all very friendly, helpful and enthusiastic, and I truly feel that they are 100% customer oriented. I also like the fact that the hotel offer complimentary shuttle services to the ferry terminal since this hotel is a bit far away from the terminal. However, this is also why I like the hotel because it is far away from casino and I truly feel like I am on vacation staying in this cozy hotel. Just 5 min. walk away from the hotel there is some ancient cannons and fortress on the Mong-Ha hill, so my friends and I walked up the hill a bit to check that out. I was really glad that it is so close to the hotel, and the view from the fortress was very attractive. It is definitely worthwhile to walk to the fortress to take some photos. I heard that the hotel restaurant also provide high tea service for a cost to hotel guests only, so I hope that I can stay here again next time I visit Macau and try out their high tea in the afternoon:)

Room Tip: Deluxe room is great for 3 adults (where you will need to pay additional cost for the extra guest as...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank ar_e2000
Malaysia
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The location of the hotel was easy accessable no matter taxi or bus. In addition the hotel provide shuttle bus too to town area 3 times in a day.
The design of the hotel was classic with Portugal style, you will find these in the hotel. The people in the hotel was very friendly and helpful.
The breakfast was simple however enough variety starting from personalise request egg making, salad, fruits and especially the muffin I love the most.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple